The Student Room Group

What not to do on law work experience....Im terrified!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Ras17
I'm interested in law too atm. Didn't you get any work experience under your belt before applying for law yourself? Surely you could draw on your skills from there :s-smilie:

No not really,:frown: we have a family friend whose a barrister so he arranged an 2 week mini pupillage for me. This is going to sound so awful but ive pretty much been served both my work experiences on a plate, so i get nervous cause i dont think ive "earnt" them. e.g through a formal interveiw process.

Get loads of work experience because law is one of those things that can greatly encourage you or totally put you off after work experience. obviously uni's LOVE it too.
Reply 21
Original post by ilovemeow
No not really,:frown: we have a family friend whose a barrister so he arranged an 2 week mini pupillage for me. This is going to sound so awful but ive pretty much been served both my work experiences on a plate, so i get nervous cause i dont think ive "earnt" them. e.g through a formal interveiw process.

Get loads of work experience because law is one of those things that can greatly encourage you or totally put you off after work experience. obviously uni's LOVE it too.

Having friends comes with benefits, and sometimes in a dog-eat-dog world you need to grab at those benefits with both hands. Most people wouldn't have given it a second thought but you seem like one of those people who hang heavily on their conscience. I'm like that too, and even I wouldn't feel guilt if I was in your position, it's a lucky break in a difficult world, so you make sure you clutch on to it.
Original post by ilovemeow
So nothing i cant really mess up then right? You think he will "test" me by asking me law questions or no? he probably doesnt care enough for that right? :redface:

Oh no, they won't expect you to know about how the law works, you're just their to know what the environment is like. Your main aim for the week should be to try and be inspired; build up some excitement about what your future career could be like- helps for motivation with exams etc.

Just really enjoy it, smile, be friendly, and you can't go far wrong.
Reply 23
Thanks for posting this. It's totally helped me too. I am doing work experience shadowing a legal adviser (solicitor / barrister) at my local Magistrates Court.

I didn't have an interview for this either. I just wrote letters to ALL my local law firms and courts etc, and we arranged it all via e-mail!

To the person looking for work experience, you literally should just Google all the firms in your area, or chambers if you want to be a Barrister, and write to them. For Mini-Pupillages they'll require you to fill out forms, or apply online by application forms anyway :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending