The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Accommodation transfer at Manchester (PLEASE HELP)

hello, ive been allocated to saint anselm hall at manchester which will not work for me because i wanted ensuite, self catering, no formal dinners, lower rent etc.

what is the possibility of me being transferred to another hall with at least one of the above preference.

Also, i realise ill have to stay there for 3-4 weeks initially so i wanted to know that are the formal dinners done everyday at saint Anselm or on occasions? because i don't drink alcohol ( you have to bring a bottle of wine , wear suits etc ). Therefore out of 9200 rooms they must be able to find me a room right?

Any help appreciated

thanks
Hey

I shifted from Oak House to Whitworth Park in late October last year. I filled in a transfer form and ticked a couple of boxes explaining why I wanted to shift.

You need to go to the 'University Place' building (which is a circular silver building) in the centre of the Oxford Road Campus and go to the 1st floor. The accommodation/finance department is on that floor.

It took nearly 2-3 weeks to process and for them to send me an email regarding the transfer. I told them I wanted a washbasin in my room.

An important thing is that your payment plans change and you need to pay for the time you spend at St Ansem and then charge you for your new hall from the day you move in. E.g. if you stay at St Ansem for 3 weeks and each week costs you 100 pounds, you'll pay them 300 pounds. If you move in after that to your new hall, e.g. Oak House, you'll start paying them 81/week from the day you move in til the end of the contract.
Someone at the office will help you with it, surely!

As for your transfer working, make your point strong! If you say that you wish to pay less as rent, it may be justified. However, your case would be aggrandized if you said you wanted a washbasin or an ensuite or you wish to stay closer to university or sth along that line.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Most useful tip: You're guaranteed to get a hall if you check around for vacancies in other halls. I got Whitworth Park early cause I knew there was a vacancy there.
Reply 3
Original post by shawking6991
Hey

I shifted from Oak House to Whitworth Park in late October last year. I filled in a transfer form and ticked a couple of boxes explaining why I wanted to shift.

You need to go to the 'University Place' building (which is a circular silver building) in the centre of the Oxford Road Campus and go to the 1st floor. The accommodation/finance department is on that floor.

It took nearly 2-3 weeks to process and for them to send me an email regarding the transfer. I told them I wanted a washbasin in my room.

An important thing is that your payment plans change and you need to pay for the time you spend at St Ansem and then charge you for your new hall from the day you move in. E.g. if you stay at St Ansem for 3 weeks and each week costs you 100 pounds, you'll pay them 300 pounds. If you move in after that to your new hall, e.g. Oak House, you'll start paying them 81/week from the day you move in til the end of the contract.
Someone at the office will help you with it, surely!

As for your transfer working, make your point strong! If you say that you wish to pay less as rent, it may be justified. However, your case would be aggrandized if you said you wanted a washbasin or an ensuite or you wish to stay closer to university or sth along that line.

Out of curiousity, what is Oak House like? I find myself in a position where I want to transfer there, is it not all it's cracked up to be? I am paying £125 a week to stay somewhere, whereas Oak House would be better suited to my budget.
Original post by shunsui
hello, ive been allocated to saint anselm hall at manchester which will not work for me because i wanted ensuite, self catering, no formal dinners, lower rent etc.

what is the possibility of me being transferred to another hall with at least one of the above preference.

Also, i realise ill have to stay there for 3-4 weeks initially so i wanted to know that are the formal dinners done everyday at saint Anselm or on occasions? because i don't drink alcohol ( you have to bring a bottle of wine , wear suits etc ). Therefore out of 9200 rooms they must be able to find me a room right?

Any help appreciated

thanks

Hi,

Formal dinners do not occur every day but gentlemen will be required to wear a gown at dinner time. You do not need dress in a suit or bring a bottle of wine. I don't know where you have heard this? :smile:

There are many people living at St Anselm Hall (Slems) who do not drink alcohol, so you don't need to worry about that.

Slems has the highest repplication rate of any hall within the university; If it makes you feel any better I did not apply to an all male hall, and hated the idea of going. I am going into my third year now. Don't judge it until you have visited it.

There is a snooker room, squash court, extensive library, TV room, pool table, table football, games room, gym, tennis court, cricket team, football team, rugby team, history society, politics society, religious debates etc... I could go on. They are all included in the price.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask. PM me or quote me so I know you've got in touch :smile:

Regards,
Scott
St Anselm Hall JCR President
Reply 5
Original post by scott202
Hi,

Formal dinners do not occur every day but gentlemen will be required to wear a gown at dinner time. You do not need dress in a suit or bring a bottle of wine. I don't know where you have heard this? :smile:

There are many people living at St Anselm Hall (Slems) who do not drink alcohol, so you don't need to worry about that.

Slems has the highest repplication rate of any hall within the university; If it makes you feel any better I did not apply to an all male hall, and hated the idea of going. I am going into my third year now. Don't judge it until you have visited it.

There is a snooker room, squash court, extensive library, TV room, pool table, table football, games room, gym, tennis court, cricket team, football team, rugby team, history society, politics society, religious debates etc... I could go on. They are all included in the price.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask. PM me or quote me so I know you've got in touch :smile:

Regards,
Scott
St Anselm Hall JCR President

wow, all you guys have been so helpful thank you. all the facilities sound brilliant, and sounds like it has everything anyone needs, its just that the rent is VERY LARGE compared to what ill get to spend. so i guess ill have to try it out before i make a decision though thanks.
Original post by happyfeet92
Out of curiousity, what is Oak House like? I find myself in a position where I want to transfer there, is it not all it's cracked up to be? I am paying £125 a week to stay somewhere, whereas Oak House would be better suited to my budget.

TO be honest, I enjoyed Oak House because I was on the ground floor of Sycamore Court, flat 27 to be exact. it was a happening place, in the sense that there were almost always random friends of my flatmates dropping in everyday and we chilled out, played cards, went out a few times.

But I had the tiniest room and it was almost suffocating and depressing at times. My flatmates were fun and they loved partying and thats commonplace all throughout Oak House.:smile:
The facilities(bathroom, shower, kitchen) arent very good or modern, but the common rooms(kitchen) usually have a life of its own in the social context!

For me Whitworth Park was enjoyable cause it was so close to uni, it was right next to Subway, Mcdonalds, the banks, the photocopy shops, the bus stops etc. + I got access to a music room for free and a gym thats almost downstairs for only 5 quid! The inhabitants were more mature, more chilled so that's the drawback. The kitchen was huge, the rooms were more spacious, etc
Oak House was quite the opposite. I made a couple of friends at first..but they never kept in touch after I left:/

So in summary
Pros of Oak House:
Social life++
Cheap!
Generally, the Brits really enjoy Oak House
close to a couple of food stores, Sainsbury's, Baa Bar etc etc
Squirrels Bar..never been, but i hear it's a lot of fun. Very happening place I hear. I aim to go check it out this year though

Cons:
A bit of a walk to the bus stop - kind of inconvenient if you have to go and fetch something you forgot when you've set off
Tiny rooms
Sometimes pretty smelly
Very small kitchen, very easy to create a mess. Once our sick and plates were unwashed for 4 days and our kitchen was full of flies

For sth close to 81 quid a week, I think Oak House makes more sense than the 125 quid one
Reply 7
Original post by shawking6991
Most useful tip: You're guaranteed to get a hall if you check around for vacancies in other halls. I got Whitworth Park early cause I knew there was a vacancy there.

Hey you got any tips on how to scout around for vacancies?
Reply 8
Im in owens park tower and id be happy to trade.
Reply 9
I know there's a GREAT place in Victoria Point up for grabs at the moment, the thread is linked below!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1787984
Reply 10
There is a BRILLIANT room available at Cosmopolitan Student Homes on Grafton Street!

The best room there is in flat 56! It is two bedroom flat. And has a double bedroom.

You can check it out on the link below
http://www.cosmostudents.com/accommodation/manchester-graftonstreet/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending