The Student Room Group

Applying with no backups...

I'm submitting my UCAS application in the coming weeks, and have been considering my university options, they currently stand at:
Cambridge, Warwick, UCL, LSE, & Kings/Nottingham/Bath

Cambridge is just a hope really, LSE is a high risk, UCL & Kings/Nottingham/Bath are medium risks, with Warwick a low risk.

My academics are in my sig, predicted grades should be A*A*A*A*, with a good PS & reference, should I have a slightly lower risk uni in my choices because I know there's pretty intense competition for the above uni's. I just don't want to be sat with no offers really haha (excluding Warwick who I know give offers to everyone predicted the right grades). Cheers.

Edit: As far as I am aware, only cambridge interview academically, so the others will see me as I appear on paper :smile:. I'm also fairly sure I won't miss out on any A level offer, so that isn't a concern for me. STEP on the other hand, I may well miss out on. I'd gladly put an A*AA as my insurance were I to get an offer. Riskwise, I'm talking about getting an offer - not meeting it, I'll deal with that when it cones to it.

Edit: Applying for maths, if it wasn't clear from where I posted it :wink:
Maths with economics at LSE before someone points it out to me...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Very nice UMS's. i'm applying to very similar unis as well so I'd be interested to see responses too :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
yeah i recommend getting a uni on their with lower grades - just so you have something to fall back on - or in the case you dont pass the interviews/get offers for those ones and if you dont manage to get the grades for your firm of course :smile: no harm in it :smile:
I don't really have any advice but just wanted to say, I got the same percentages in maths as you. That is all. :P

Haha, I'm not applying to maths so I wouldn't know where was high/low risk but good luck with your choices! :biggrin:
Warwick may give offers out to everyone but that's only because most people don't make it. So I wouldn't consider it low risk.

I applied to similar unis to you (Oxford/Warwick/UCL/Nottingham/Bristol) with lower AS grades than you and got offers from everywhere but Oxford. I think you'll be fine.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
TBF you have nothing to fear with those choices unless you completely balls up A2. I can see you definitely getting an offer from UCL and any of kings / nots / baths with possibly even an unconditional from Warwick or one of the other 3 with those grades if your PS is good and interview goes smoothly.

Chill, your probably gonna get into Cambridge anyway with those grades.
Original post by kidoo
TBF you have nothing to fear with those choices unless you completely balls up A2. I can see you definitely getting an offer from UCL and any of kings / nots / baths with possibly even an unconditional from Warwick or one of the other 3 with those grades if your PS is good and interview goes smoothly.

Chill, your probably gonna get into Cambridge anyway with those grades.

You have no idea.
Reply 7
If I were you I'd still like to know I had a slightly worse university. Myself, i work well under pressure, but it was good knowing I had a lower offer to fall back on (AA - so I could completely screw one subject up). Obviously only apply to places you'd be happy to go to, and I'm by no means suggesting CCC universities, just maybe one that is about 20th for your subject in the league tables.
Reply 8
Original post by electriic_ink
You have no idea.

I second that, I'm pretty well informed to Cambridge admissions as to know my position. I meant Warwick to be low risk for getting an offer, not meeting it.
Reply 9
You have no idea.

Elaborate on your baseless statement, unlike some I've done my own fair share of research into the matter.
Definitely have a lower grade back up! Four shots at the top, one to fall back on just in case!!
Original post by kidoo
Elaborate on your baseless statement, unlike some I've done my own fair share of research into the matter.

You said that OP could get an unconditional offer but no universities hand out unconditional offers to students who haven't already got the grades. You also talked about an interview for "Warwick or one of the other 3" (I presume you mean Kings/Nottingham/Bath) but I'm sure none of those unis interview for Maths (Warwick and Notts certainly don't).

And you said that with those grades the OP would probably get an offer from Cambridge, although you have absolutely no idea how he'd do at an interview.
(edited 12 years ago)
you're probably going to decimate most other applicants, so tbh I wouldn't worry about actually receiving the offers.

now just concentrate on achieving them.
Reply 13
You said that OP could get an unconditional offer but no universities hand out unconditional offers to students who haven't already got the grades.

Urm...........yes they do? Cambridge EE from Christ? That is before you get the grades - Warwick do some UI's (Unconditional Insurance)

electriic_ink
And you said that with those grades the OP would probably get an offer from Cambridge, although you have absolutely no idea how he'd do at an interview.

Which is why said:

Kidoo
if your PS is good and interview goes smoothly.

If you don't have solid information behind your statements please don't post weightless drivel like "you have no idea" as some form of retort.

/rant-over.
Reply 14
I disagree - with grades like that you're doing the right thing by applying to universities of your calibre - there's no need to have a lower choice if you're confident you can get those grades. Hopefully you'll get those offers.

Cambridge would be great if you get an offer but any university on that list would be a great place to study (but why are people here not applying to Imperial?)
Original post by anil10100
I'm submitting my UCAS application in the coming weeks, and have been considering my university options, they currently stand at:
Cambridge, Warwick, UCL, LSE, & Kings/Nottingham/Bath

Cambridge is just a hope really, LSE is a high risk, UCL & Kings/Nottingham/Bath are medium risks, with Warwick a low risk.

My academics are in my sig, predicted grades should be A*A*A*A*, with a good PS & reference, should I have a slightly lower risk uni in my choices because I know there's pretty intense competition for the above uni's. I just don't want to be sat with no offers really haha (excluding Warwick who I know give offers to everyone predicted the right grades). Cheers.

Edit: As far as I am aware, only cambridge interview academically, so the others will see me as I appear on paper :smile:. I'm also fairly sure I won't miss out on any A level offer, so that isn't a concern for me. STEP on the other hand, I may well miss out on. I'd gladly put an A*AA as my insurance were I to get an offer. Riskwise, I'm talking about getting an offer - not meeting it, I'll deal with that when it cones to it.

Edit: Applying for maths, if it wasn't clear from where I posted it :wink:
Maths with economics at LSE before someone points it out to me...

The thing is - will you LIKE being at a lower-risk uni. I am applying for all very competitive unis (except warwick - easy to get an offer, certainly not to meet it, though), but I wouldn't be happy with anything less really - if I messed up to the extent of not getting into any of my unis, I'd rather just take a gap year, sort myself out and reapply. I hope that would not happen and I am on track to get good grades and hopefully get offers. :smile:
Original post by kidoo
Warwick do some UI's (Unconditional Insurance)

No they don't. Even if they did, how can a uni give you an offer based on whether you're going to firm/insure it when they don't have that information when they give you it?

Original post by kidoo
Which is why said:

That was in another paragraph!

I'm glad you concede that most unis don't interview for Maths.
(edited 12 years ago)
With them grades, the chance of you ending up with no offers is pretty much nil - apart from Cambridge and perhaps LSE, I can't see any of them unis declining you.
If any further confirmation is required, you're in the position to make a strong application to all those places. I applied with just 3A*s at GCSE, A*aab at AS with slightly lower UMS than you and my choices were very similar (Imperial instead of LSE); I got offers from all bar Cambridge, where I was pooled following an interview.

Good luck.
You seem to be in a good position to apply, I only got 2 offers, but my grades were far lower than yours (only 4A* at GCSE and missed out on the A* in A2 maths the first time :colonhash:) Universities to which I applied are in the academic info section on my profile. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest