The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SMed
Vit C is ****ing pointless. Vit D, maybe, especially if you get no sun (which is everyone now). Zinc, probably decent - take zinc.

A lot of vit C tabs have zinc in them. Well the ones I buy.
Reply 3981
Original post by McHumpy92
A lot of vit C tabs have zinc in them. Well the ones I buy.

Forget those, get the zinc. How much zinc is in your mixed ones?

Actually, scratch what I said about Vit C (sort of). Vit C in general population is useless. HOWEVER, in people under extreme physical stress (military, athletes etc), then Vit C has a small benefit in immune function (slightly better colds etc).

But zinc is much better in everyone. Take dedicated zinc if there's not much in your mixed tabs.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SMed

Actually, scratch what I said about Vit C (sort of). Vit C in general population is useless. HOWEVER, in people under extreme physical stress (military, athletes etc), then Vit C has a small benefit in immune function (slightly better colds etc).

But zinc is much better in everyone. Take dedicated zinc if there's not much in your mixed tabs.

Yeah I took vit C to try and help rebuild a tendon(I snapped it)...I do take ZMA now and then maybe 2-3 times a week. If I feel like I am going to be ill, basically a tickle in my throat I definitely take them and usually avoid being ill.
Reply 3983
Original post by SMed

I've been poppin' zinc tabs for the past month or so. Standard tesco ones, 15mg per tab. Decent enough, Doc?
Think the ones you need to supplement are vitamin d, zinc and magnesium. Think vitamin A may be helpful too but can be toxic if vitamin D level is low.

Also, good helping of omega 3's to balance the 3/6 ratio.
Reply 3985
How do you guys deal with failure while at the gym? I was squatting today and my form was so **** by lower back felt like it wanted to depart from my body. I don't know why but after 8 sessions I would of thought I was getting a bit better.

Feels bad man:frown:
Original post by J DOT A
How do you guys deal with failure while at the gym? I was squatting today and my form was so **** by lower back felt like it wanted to depart from my body. I don't know why but after 8 sessions I would of thought I was getting a bit better.

Feels bad man:frown:

Lower the weight, correct form. For squats in particular paused squats are ****ing awesome.
Reply 3987
Is it possible to have bones that are heavier than normal? I mean I weigh 85kg atm and swear I don't look like it.
Original post by Michael XYZ
Fuuuuuu-

What do I do about a sharp pain in my neck/upper traps? If I move my neck to look down it really begins to hurt.

Sounds like you have tweaked something. I had the same in the summer. As advised by a doc I took a few days rest (actually ended up being nearly 2 weeks but I went on holiday so couldn't train) and took ibuprofen. He said it's perfectly fine to take double the dose on the pack for the first dose and then alternate it with paracetamol. I also alternately iced and heated it. It went away after like 4 days.
Original post by SMed

Whats wrong with vit C? A lot of people have recommended it to me, especially to offset colds etc. To be fair it seems to make a difference, everyone in my small office has had a bad cold and I've been taking two vit C's a day and still going strong, usually I get colds very easily.

Also read a lot of places its a great sup, and my dad who has been in the medical profession all his life always makes me take it as soon as an illness is coming.

Who knows though, but it seems to be helping me.

Got vit d3 on its way too
Reply 3990
Original post by commandant
Whats wrong with vit C? A lot of people have recommended it to me, especially to offset colds etc. To be fair it seems to make a difference, everyone in my small office has had a bad cold and I've been taking two vit C's a day and still going strong, usually I get colds very easily.

Also read a lot of places its a great sup, and my dad who has been in the medical profession all his life always makes me take it as soon as an illness is coming.

Who knows though, but it seems to be helping me.

Got vit d3 on its way too

The thing is, it's impossible to know if a medication is working by thinking "it seems to be helping me." It's impossible to know whether a cold would've gone anyway had you not taken the Vitamin C. We're just not wired up to be able to distinguish if something like vitamin C is having the effect we think it's having. Impossible for many reasons. Probably two of the biggest effects are the Placebo Effect and Regression Towards the Mean.

The really shouldn't be anything new to you guys - simply the act of doing something for an illness/ailment will improve it, even with no actual physiological effect. The placebo effect is very real. The more involved or intense the placebo treatment, the more effect it has. By "effect" it is generally seen as subjective effect - you'll feel better, but very little in the way of objective measurements.

Regression to the mean goes something like this: you've got a cold, it's been going on for days. It get's to the worst point and you feel so crappy that you finally take some vitamin c, and shortly after you start feeling better. You then associate taking the vitamin c with getting better. Except that your cold has already been going for days and was about to let up and improve anyway. It was going to regress back to normal (the mean). This is a very common phenomenon - look up the Sports Illustrated Cover Jinx Myth.

And it's not like "Well, science doesn't know everything and it hasn't been investigated" etc (and I'm not accusing any of you of saying something like this), it's that science has exhaustively investigated the effects of Vitamin C under all manners of conditions for decades. It's one of the most investigated supplements in existence. It doesn't do what they claim it does with regards to immune function. I think a few studies showed it decreased duration by, on average, a couple of hours. Wow.

They've had to effectively make a call for institutions to stop wasting resources investigating Vitamin C for colds.
Reply 3992
Original post by SMed
The thing is, it's impossible to know if a medication is working by thinking "it seems to be helping me." It's impossible to know whether a cold would've gone anyway had you not taken the Vitamin C. We're just not wired up to be able to distinguish if something like vitamin C is having the effect we think it's having. Impossible for many reasons. Probably two of the biggest effects are the Placebo Effect and Regression Towards the Mean.

The really shouldn't be anything new to you guys - simply the act of doing something for an illness/ailment will improve it, even with no actual physiological effect. The placebo effect is very real. The more involved or intense the placebo treatment, the more effect it has. By "effect" it is generally seen as subjective effect - you'll feel better, but very little in the way of objective measurements.

Regression to the mean goes something like this: you've got a cold, it's been going on for days. It get's to the worst point and you feel so crappy that you finally take some vitamin c, and shortly after you start feeling better. You then associate taking the vitamin c with getting better. Except that your cold has already been going for days and was about to let up and improve anyway. It was going to regress back to normal (the mean). This is a very common phenomenon - look up the Sports Illustrated Cover Jinx Myth.

And it's not like "Well, science doesn't know everything and it hasn't been investigated" etc (and I'm not accusing any of you of saying something like this), it's that science has exhaustively investigated the effects of Vitamin C under all manners of conditions for decades. It's one of the most investigated supplements in existence. It doesn't do what they claim it does with regards to immune function. I think a few studies showed it decreased duration by, on average, a couple of hours. Wow.

They've had to effectively make a call for institutions to stop wasting resources investigating Vitamin C for colds.

SMed I'm impressed with your understanding of science at its core, and statistics in scientific studies. Before this sounds patronising hear me out. You might be shocked if you feel the things you describe are simply rudimentary but in a few odd posts on here you've probably demonstrated a better understanding of the scientific method than the majority of medical students I've ever met put together (no offence. Same goes for vets and dentists). Most are absolutely ignorant to the processes that inform their learning.
^

Like when people go to self-help seminars and feel better. They're feeling really bad now so, like you say, they'll probably feel better anyway.

However, smart-ass, what the **** do I take so I have a better immune system/don't get colds/generally feel more awesome?
Original post by SMed

Your post sounds exactly like the book "Bad Science" By Ben Goldacre.

If you've read it then it's an awesome book ad everyone should read it and if not then go read it.:cool:
Reply 3995
Original post by MHorman
Your post sounds exactly like the book "Bad Science" By Ben Goldacre.

If you've read it then it's an awesome book ad everyone should read it and if not then go read it.:cool:

I have read Bad Science relatively recently, but have known about quackademia for some time.
Original post by SMed
I have read Bad Science relatively recently, but have known about quackademia for some time.

I read it just before summer.

And tbh whilst i knew about it before a little bit i learnt a lot from his book.

Also, i don't get enough fruit/veg in my diet so am probably low on many vitamins etc. Would a mutlivit be useful to help this or should i just man up and buy more veg?

I've been better the last few weeks or so but still not hitting my 5 a day every day...
Original post by SMed

However, smart-ass, what the **** do I take so I have a better immune system/don't get colds/generally feel more awesome?

Since starting uni my intake of vegetables/fruit is quite crap for obvious reasons. I know pills aren't complete substitutes.
Reply 3998
Original post by Michael XYZ
^

Like when people go to self-help seminars and feel better. They're feeling really bad now so, like you say, they'll probably feel better anyway.

Probably zinc and vitamin D. Zinc seems to be doing exactly what everyone thinks/thought vitamin C is/was supposed to do.

If you take zinc regularly, you get fewer colds. Even if you don't take it regularly, but start as soon as you get symptoms, it has shorter duration.

A note, the claims I just made about zinc are not from what a bunch of people thought/felt/experienced/hoped/prayed for. These test were done under randomised, double-blinded, placebo controlled trials specifically testing the effects of zinc on the common cold.

It's not a 100% sure thing, as there are a few conflicting trials. But overall, there seems to be something in it.

The Cochrane Review people are like the best-of-the-best when it comes to reviews. They're the main guys to go to. This is what they had to say:

We included 13 therapeutic trials (966 participants) and two preventive trials (394 participants). Intake of zinc is associated with a significant reduction in the duration (standardized mean difference (SMD) -0.97; 95% confidence interval (CI) -1.56 to -0.38) (P = 0.001), and severity of common cold symptoms (SMD - .39; 95% CI -0.77 to -0.02) (P = 0.04). There was a significant difference between the zinc and control group for the proportion of participants symptomatic after seven days of treatment (OR 0.45; 95% CI 0.2 to 1.00) (P = 0.05). The incidence rate ratio (IRR) of developing a cold (IRR 0.64; 95% CI 0.47 to 0.88) (P = 0.006), school absence (P = 0.0003) and prescription of antibiotics (P < 0.00001) was lower in the zinc group. Overall adverse events (OR 1.59; 95% CI 0.97 to 2.58) (P = 0.06), bad taste (OR 2.64; 95% CI 1.91 to 3.64) (P < 0.00001) and nausea (OR 2.15; 95% CI 1.44 to 3.23) (P = 0.002) were higher in the zinc group.

www.thecochranelibrary.com/details/file/1017735/CD001364.html

(I was going to remove all the stats stuff for clarity, but left it for those that can understand it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3999
Original post by Adidas90
SMed I'm impressed with your understanding of science at its core, and statistics in scientific studies. Before this sounds patronising hear me out. You might be shocked if you feel the things you describe are simply rudimentary but in a few odd posts on here you've probably demonstrated a better understanding of the scientific method than the majority of medical students I've ever met put together (no offence. Same goes for vets and dentists). Most are absolutely ignorant to the processes that inform their learning.

:top2:

Believe me, same happens in my year. We got some lecturer talking to us about how a group of athletes put on some minuscule amounts of strength and/or muscle mass from some placebo whey protein. Then some girl in our year found out we take whey and tried to tell us it's not necessary and it doesn't do anything and reminded us of that lecture. I had to point out to her the those athletes were in the control group and experienced the placebo effect - this is why we have a placebo control group. And that the athletes on actual whey put on significantly more strength and muscle.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest