The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alex_tait
You can still end up rounding your lower back if you don't have the flexibility to keep if arched when going all the way down.

Yes I know what you mean.

Just came back from the gym. His lower back is fine till right at the end when it just falls and rounds. Is this what a "butt wink" is? (Lol at that term btw)

Any solutions on how to fix it?
Original post by Michael XYZ
Yes I know what you mean.

Just came back from the gym. His lower back is fine till right at the end when it just falls and rounds. Is this what a "butt wink" is? (Lol at that term btw)

This is the butt wink. I think flexibility makes a difference, as does cueing someone to arch their back but I don't think there are any quick fixes.
(edited 12 years ago)
Thanks.

Yes, I dunno if I care anyway. He doesn't really care himself so I'm not gonna bother finding out a lot about it or something.
Weightlifting shoes generally help.
Reply 5984
What weight is he lifting? Because when I first started squatting I had the butt wink problem but never experienced any pain in my lower back whatsoever.
Or he could just have a weak/injury prone lower back.

I round my back in a lot of things and it feels good/fine.... these SL's were on the uglier side

Original post by GQ.
What weight is he lifting? Because when I first started squatting I had the butt wink problem but never experienced any pain in my lower back whatsoever.

He was doing 70kg for 5 reps, did 80kg for 2x5 but he just wasn't feeling confident. He has injured his lower back and missed a squat and deadlift session so far.

I don't know how he got injured (neither does he) but I think probably from squats.

Original post by redbuthotter
Or he could just have a weak/injury prone lower back.

I round my back in a lot of things and it feels good/fine.... these SL's were on the uglier side

Well, yes, he does have an injured lower back. Not right now though, I think it's gotten better as he was okay for squatting today.

And I'm with you, maybe because until I do get an injury there I'll think it's fine but obviously if I'm going max DL or something it will round to an extent.
Reply 5987
Original post by Michael XYZ
He was doing 70kg for 5 reps, did 80kg for 2x5 but he just wasn't feeling confident. He has injured his lower back and missed a squat and deadlift session so far.

I don't know how he got injured (neither does he) but I think probably from squats.

Well, yes, he does have an injured lower back. Not right now though, I think it's gotten better as he was okay for squatting today.

And I'm with you, maybe because until I do get an injury there I'll think it's fine but obviously if I'm going max DL or something it will round to an extent.

Guess he is going to have to be extra careful as he has already injured himself and it could flare up easily.

Only once twinged my back from deadlifting but it healed fine.
i get buttwink if i don't push my knees out enough, but i squat high bar only go a little past parallel as my back rounds if i got atg
Reply 5989
What's everyone's plans for New Years?
Original post by GQ.
What's everyone's plans for New Years?

First time in a few years I haven't been working New Years Day, so one way or another I'll be getting smashed. Either house party then out into town, or straight into town depending on whether mates have their kids or not.
Probably house party.

Although it doesn't sound too appealing. The aforementioned house is actually a flat so that kinda limits how many people are gonna be coming. Plus, sounds like a real sausage fest.

No other plans though, so it's either that or just go around London and watch some fireworks etc.
Reply 5993
I'm working lulz
Just got an email from my teacher saying that the problem sets we put through the letter box in his office were thrown away by the cleaners.

Wow. Spent at least 10 hours on that problem set... what the ****?
He blates just doesn't want to mark them.
My girlfriend and I are going to our friends house - drink, lots of mexican food, kinect and movies. Looking forward
Original post by RawJoh1
He blates just doesn't want to mark them.

Heh, yes, first thing I thought when I read it.

Brb when I get back to LSE gonna ask one of the cleaners "y u do dat?" and see her response
By the way lads, I hope you are all entering the TSR transformation contest. Maxiraw will be donating some prizes (if TSR allow), and TSR should be giving some prizes too.
I tried romanian dls today only 60x10, but my forearms give out ....how can i fix this? im guessing just keep doing romanians and it'll get better?

Latest