The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9880
watchout your comments bro^
Original post by Michael XYZ
Personally I'd do something like this:

i) After deadlift: Doing abs is good but just that seems far too little. Personally I'd do some volume on a variation of squat - low-bar, high-bar, front, wide stance, narrow stance etc.

ii) After squat: Similar to above, I'd do a variation of deadlift - RDL, SLDL, deficit DL etc.

But it's probably to do with just keeping at it. 5/3/1 works for sure. It's just a question of figuring out what assistance work works well for your main lifts. You'll only get that from trial and error.

I'd agree with this. I'd also add in stuff like shrugs, rows, GHRs, GMs, RDLs etc. Plenty of volume at not too high an intensity.
Original post by Smack
I'd agree with this. I'd also add in stuff like shrugs, rows, GHRs, GMs, RDLs etc. Plenty of volume at not too high an intensity.

the first week this is what i did.

5/3/1 deadlift then 5x10 squat (Doms was to much for me to handle and it effects my squat day pretty badly)

i do shurgs after deadlifts usually, and good mornings (3-5 sets of 10) after squats just forgot to mention them, i can't do ghrs properly ;(.... i just feel it in the wrong places. i'm trying to avoid any major quad movements due to my already ****ty posture.

don't think the issue was assistance work tbf. Guess it just needs time.

edit: u4m1r , iirc you did 5/31? how did you find it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9883
Original post by Gallium
the first week this is what i did.

5/3/1 deadlift then 5x10 squat (Doms was to much for me to handle and it effects my squat day pretty badly)

i do shurgs after deadlifts usually, and good mornings (3-5 sets of 10) after squats just forgot to mention them, i can't do ghrs properly ;(.... i just feel it in the wrong places. i'm trying to avoid any major quad movements due to my already ****ty posture.

don't think the issue was assistance work tbf. Guess it just needs time.

edit: u4m1r , iirc you did 5/31? how did you find it.

What do you think lol. I tried it twice and didnt like it. Mainly because I dont think each of the lifts once a week is enough for me.
Original post by u4m1r
What do you think lol. I tried it twice and didnt like it. Mainly because I dont think each of the lifts once a week is enough for me.

Yes, nothing to do with the fact that you find it very hard to stick to one thing for a long period of time and the fact that you sway between wanting to be a bodybuilder and powerlifter and the fact that you want to bulk then cut then bulk then cut.

Nah, must be none of those. :wink:
Reply 9885
Original post by Michael XYZ
Yes, nothing to do with the fact that you find it very hard to stick to one thing for a long period of time and the fact that you sway between wanting to be a bodybuilder and powerlifter and the fact that you want to bulk then cut then bulk then cut.

Nah, must be none of those. :wink:

Still undecided on what to do :frown:
I agree with Michael. 5/3/1 is a system for long term strength gain, you obviously won't get much out of it within a month. But at the same time, you should't be regressing on strength - especially if you bench 60 and squat 100 for a few reps. You'd make much faster progress on something more aimed at beginners.

It's almost as if 5/3/1 is a routine aimed at intermediate to advanced lifters...
Original post by u4m1r
Still undecided on what to do :frown:

Pick a goal. Find what will make that goal real. Do it. It's rather simple.

5/3/1 is fine. I prefer it if you are more of a beginner like he is because volume + assistance work = size gains. Let's be real here, I'm sure Gallium wants to be strong but I bet he also wants to look good and be big too.

That is why I really like what I am doing. You push the main lifts but after you do things that help that BUT also provide you with size. I think as a beginner you really want to put on size too, not just strength.
Original post by Smack
I agree with Michael. 5/3/1 is a system for long term strength gain, you obviously won't get much out of it within a month. But at the same time, you should't be regressing on strength - especially if you bench 60 and squat 100 for a few reps. You'd make much faster progress on something more aimed at beginners.

It's almost as if 5/3/1 is a routine aimed at intermediate to advanced lifters...

i squat 120 for 5(not that it makes a difference) i don't mind slow progression on bench as i nearly frigging ohp more then my bench

weren't really progressing on ss and you can't say i was not eating enough, i didn't really bastardize the routine. i gained over 40lbs in 6 months or so. i'm open to recommendations. eatings not really an issue for me, i can easily consume 5k calories if i wanted to but i rather just eat 500ish over maintenance

was on youtube some kid on their started 5/3/1 with lower maxes then me. got from a 315x1 deadlift to 350x10 deadlift in 6 months 225 squat to like 330. 175x5 bench to 225x5

i think i'll test my maxes and actually input them instead of estimated maxes.
Well train like a bodybuilder then. Do a four day split based on chest, shoulders, legs and back and hammer yourself into the ground. Do it for six months and see where you get.
Something like 5/3/1 is nice as it's, I'd say, 70 strength 30 size depending on assistance you do.

Wanting to put on size doesn't mean you now have to do incline dumbbell curls with 5 second concentric phase.
I just used to do the main lift with bodybuilding stuff afterwards.

I don't really get it tbh, people talk about routines until the sun comes up. it's not rocket science, you lift, you eat, you lift more, and that makes you bigger and stronger
Original post by Arturo Bandini
I just used to do the main lift with bodybuilding stuff afterwards.

I don't really get it tbh, people talk about routines until the sun comes up. it's not rocket science, you lift, you eat, you lift more, and that makes you bigger and stronger

If only it was that easy. I mean, what band tension do you use? And after that do you use 3 or 4 chains for accommodating resistance? Never mind the fact that you still don't know which bar out of Buffalo and SSB and Tornado bar you're going to use. Plus, you've forgotten about which angle you're going to do the incline at. Let alone about what kind of pre-workout you're going to have.

Lol just kidding I agree.
well even tho i didn't really progress on main lifts

my assistance went up alot.

+10kg on rows
12 to 20bw chins
20 to 30 rep dips
db press went up 2.5kg per hand

just realized tesco do bagels, 10 wholemeal bagels for 2 quid, they have 250 cals each!
I went to the gym today and hit back/biceps with 30 minutes cardio today, feel so good after a nice hot shower:smile:
Original post by Gallium
well even tho i didn't really progress on main lifts

my assistance went up alot.

+10kg on rows
12 to 20bw chins
20 to 30 rep dips
db press went up 2.5kg per hand

just realized tesco do bagels, 10 wholemeal bagels for 2 quid, they have 250 cals each!

Try the wholemeal rice crackers from Sainsburys too:yum:

What's the bagels like? (I have never had a bagel in my life).
Original post by pinda.college
Try the wholemeal rice crackers from Sainsburys too:yum:

What's the bagels like? (I have never had a bagel in my life).

delicious! i just had one wth Philadelphia chocolate spread!( better then nutella)
Original post by Gallium
delicious! i just had one wth Philadelphia chocolate spread!( better then nutella)

What's the nutritional content of that spread like?
Original post by pinda.college
What's the nutritional content of that spread like?

better compared to nutella

25g nutella= 104 cals
30g philly= 84 cals....and it tastes better.
Says it has better nutritional content than nutella. Proceeds to show how nutella has more calories in 25g than 30g of philly. You trolling?

Latest