The Student Room Group

2012 Uni Applicants for Photography

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kapoja
I got a place on the commercial photography course too :smile: Are you going to an accommodation day? x

Ahh awesome :smile: Yeah i am, the one on the 5th july. Are you? x
Original post by twinlensreflex
Ooh what day?! I'm on Tuesday :smile: I haven't done a foundation either. :L

Ahh! Well I was going on Tuesday but I've had to reschedule to the Friday. I just remember when I went to the open day they were very against accepting people who haven't done a foundation. But I guess they must've seen something they liked when I sent them my work. Nervous!
Original post by procrastination...
Ahh! Well I was going on Tuesday but I've had to reschedule to the Friday. I just remember when I went to the open day they were very against accepting people who haven't done a foundation. But I guess they must've seen something they liked when I sent them my work. Nervous!

Hey, i was just gonna ask you how the facilities for photography were since you went on an open day? I live abroad, and so my ability to go to these open days is very limited, so any kind of information about the equipment they have, darkrooms, cameras, etc. would be much appreciated! also, the whole thing about the foundation diploma being necessary is i guess in some cases true, but i know people who have gotten offers straight from high school, so hopefully that kinda eases your nerves for the interview. best of luck!

sorry about the long question, i just really want to know what other students think of the university. and btw, i had a telephone interview before so if you have any questions about some stuff, feel free to ask me.
Reply 383
Original post by 123michelle
Ahh awesome :smile: Yeah i am, the one on the 5th july. Are you? x

Ah man, I'm on the 6th! Not sure what to expect though, you going into a house? x
Original post by Kapoja
Ah man, I'm on the 6th! Not sure what to expect though, you going into a house? x

Oh no! that sucks haha, yeah should be, apparently halls only go to international students as there isn't that many :frown: do you have facebook or anything? would be good to add some people who are gonna be on the course! x
Reply 385
Original post by 123michelle
Oh no! that sucks haha, yeah should be, apparently halls only go to international students as there isn't that many :frown: do you have facebook or anything? would be good to add some people who are gonna be on the course! x

Yeah look me up- Kaja Jangaard (profile pic is of my fat cat) :smile: x
Original post by madrassnuff
Hey, i was just gonna ask you how the facilities for photography were since you went on an open day? I live abroad, and so my ability to go to these open days is very limited, so any kind of information about the equipment they have, darkrooms, cameras, etc. would be much appreciated! also, the whole thing about the foundation diploma being necessary is i guess in some cases true, but i know people who have gotten offers straight from high school, so hopefully that kinda eases your nerves for the interview. best of luck!

sorry about the long question, i just really want to know what other students think of the university. and btw, i had a telephone interview before so if you have any questions about some stuff, feel free to ask me.

Ummmm well I went a while ago and my memory isn't fantastic but I'll try my best! The darkrooms were pretty standard, as they're all pretty much the same wherever you go. Compared to other places I've been to the studios and the computer/scanning suite had pcs rather than iMac's which I found a bit disappointing. It all just looked a bit tired and needed a bit of a revamp. But to be honest it's not all about that, as the course is really highly regarded and Brighton itself is amazing, it looks like such a lovely place to live and there's tonnes to do. So I guess you could think that it has a nice balance between the course/uni and as a place to live, which has been a problem for me as Falmouth Uni itself is amazing and the facilities are brilliant but there doesn't seem to be much to do outside of Uni without you having to travel etc. Sorry this is getting really long now!
If you could tell me the sorts of questions they asked you then that'd be great! Have they given you an offer?
Ummmm well I went a while ago and my memory isn't fantastic but I'll try my best! The darkrooms were pretty standard, as they're all pretty much the same wherever you go. Compared to other places I've been to the studios and the computer/scanning suite had pcs rather than iMac's which I found a bit disappointing. It all just looked a bit tired and needed a bit of a revamp. But to be honest it's not all about that, as the course is really highly regarded and Brighton itself is amazing, it looks like such a lovely place to live and there's tonnes to do. So I guess you could think that it has a nice balance between the course/uni and as a place to live, which has been a problem for me as Falmouth Uni itself is amazing and the facilities are brilliant but there doesn't seem to be much to do outside of Uni without you having to travel etc. Sorry this is getting really long now!
If you could tell me the sorts of questions they asked you then that'd be great! Have they given you an offer?

Found it odd that Falmouth were PC as well - guess more people own PCs rather than Macs so its just easier. Coming from someone that lives near Brighton and goes to college there it is a nice place loads of studenty type places - the laines etc , not sure about the actual Uni because I withdrew from there so I could confirm Falmouth. If you have any questions about it as a place just ask. There is a couple of photographic developing shops near the uni if you're too lazy to develop films etc yourself which may prove handy if you get close to deadlines.:smile:

Marcus
Original post by LauraG1992
I know! not looking forward to doing a 5 minute presentation though!

Haha, you'll be fine! How much film stuff are you bringing? Heard they're quite big on it.

ahh, ok. yeh i have my own laptop, so maybe i'll be able to use that? i prefer macs over pc's, but yeh that's definitely true, it's not all about having the best looking equipment or watever. but i do hear they have good library resources and stuff like that, so that's good to know. it's true, everyone i've talked have said that brighton is a really cool city to live in, and the grand parade campus looks really nice, but this is according to the campus films so...
the sorts of questions they ask you in the interview i thought were fairly normal and weren't completely random. they begin (with me at least) by asking why i wanted to study at brighton and why photography. then they go into more personal questions about your portfolio, like what are your influences and which ones are your favourite pieces, and why. then you have time to get to ask some questions yourself, where you decide what you wanna ask them.
the interviewer was nice and made you feel comfortable etc, even though it was over the phone. there isn't that much i would be worried about if i were you.
thanks for all the info btw!

ps: they did give me an offer a couple of days ago
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 390
I just accepted my unconditional offer from Falmouth to do photography. Is anyone thinking of going there. :smile:
Original post by agpage2
I just accepted my unconditional offer from Falmouth to do photography. Is anyone thinking of going there. :smile:

I have an unconditional for Marine and Natural History Photography - just love the whole feel of the uni and the photography centre blew me away - easily the best in the country.
Reply 392
Glad to hear everyones interviews seem to be going well!
So far I've got two conditionals

Didn't get into Plymouth.. but I didn't really like it that much the building was so "depressing" and seemed quite dull ! So I'm not too bothered about that I prefer Plymouth College of Art the people there seem alot more nicer and their equipment room is AMAZING I got a conditional for there and prefer it to Plymouth Uni :smile:

Still waiting to hear from Falmouth.. I had an interview for fashion photography last week.. said they'd get back to us within 48hours but still heard nothing :frown: anyone else heard back yet? Falmouth is amazing although their interviews are very different to everywhere else ive been!!

:biggrin:
Original post by roxxyx
Glad to hear everyones interviews seem to be going well!
So far I've got two conditionals

Didn't get into Plymouth.. but I didn't really like it that much the building was so "depressing" and seemed quite dull ! So I'm not too bothered about that I prefer Plymouth College of Art the people there seem alot more nicer and their equipment room is AMAZING I got a conditional for there and prefer it to Plymouth Uni :smile:

Still waiting to hear from Falmouth.. I had an interview for fashion photography last week.. said they'd get back to us within 48hours but still heard nothing :frown: anyone else heard back yet? Falmouth is amazing although their interviews are very different to everywhere else ive been!!

:biggrin:

Falmouths interviews seem not be about your work which threw me completely - guess because they ask you to send work they already know what you can do. Mine was more about me as a person and how i'd fit in.

Can't wait to start there in September

marcus
Hey guys!

I just have a little question as Im undecisive at the moment. I have been accepted to both Falmouth and Newport University. However I cant seem to decide to which I should go to.

So where would you go and why?

thanks
got an unconditional from glasgow school of art today XD
Reply 396
Original post by rayray12310
got an unconditional from glasgow school of art today XD

congratulations! did you apply for 2012/2013?
Original post by nyddolina
congratulations! did you apply for 2012/2013?

yep, really excited about it too, tho the move from london to glasgow might shock me. did you apply?
Reply 398
Original post by rayray12310
yep, really excited about it too, tho the move from london to glasgow might shock me. did you apply?

yes deferred entry.
i think glasgow is really a warm-hearted city so you'll be fine.
Original post by nyddolina
yes deferred entry.
i think glasgow is really a warm-hearted city so you'll be fine.

hopefully and congratulations :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest