The Student Room Group

2012 Uni Applicants for Photography

Scroll to see replies

I'm really dreading my interviews. I know that I know the answers to their questions but I'm still dkjhkdf about it all. Does anyone have any tips for preparing and acing the interview?!
Original post by LauraG1992
anyone got interviews for manchester, nottingham or kingston yet? if so how long did it take them to get back to you after you sent your portfolio? and when are your interviews?
hate waiting aha

Nope not yet :frown: Sent portfolios for them in December
Original post by Senika
Oh God, I hate having phone conversations whether it's in my native language or in English. Don't worry, just try and focus really hard on what they're saying (you can always ask for repeating the question and mention the bad international connection :biggrin:).

Bad connection is a good idea ;D and thank you for advice ;D
Reply 163
Original post by damianpoland
I recieved the invitation for interview, 8 Feb, but I will have to phone them to have the interview led on phone but the problem is that i've never talked with nativ english speaker on phone :/ it will be the most stressful conversation in my life :frown:

Same to me:frown:
Reply 164
Original post by procrastination...
Got a letter from Nottingham Trent and they want to interview me. Mine's on 7th March. I sent my powerpoint thing off last Friday so a week or so. Have you got an interview for there?

I have an interview at NTU on the 7th March too! What's the powerpoint you mentioned? & what time is your interview at? (:
Reply 165
I applied for photography and film, theyve changed it now. theyve asked me to mail them a portfolio but youll only come out with one or the other in a degree not both :\
Original post by damianpoland
I recieved the invitation for interview, 8 Feb, but I will have to phone them to have the interview led on phone but the problem is that i've never talked with nativ english speaker on phone :/ it will be the most stressful conversation in my life :frown:

Congrats on the interview! Sounds stressful, but at least you don't have to sit there in the interview with them staring at you :smile: if I was you you could maybe write down some notes before hand on things you want to mention in-case you run out of things to say, they don't know :biggrin:
Reply 167
Original post by thitchen1
I applied for photography and film, theyve changed it now. theyve asked me to mail them a portfolio but youll only come out with one or the other in a degree not both :\

What's your deadline? They asked me to send it before February 8. And yeah, it sucks that they changed it.

Original post by 123michelle
Congrats on the interview! Sounds stressful, but at least you don't have to sit there in the interview with them staring at you :smile: if I was you you could maybe write down some notes before hand on things you want to mention in-case you run out of things to say, they don't know :biggrin:

Exactly! Two years ago I was applying to a photography school abroad (not in the UK) - I did get in, but couldn't afford the tuition in the end. Anyway, I had a phone interview as well. I'd prepared some notes, so when they asked me "Would you like to add something else?" I still had a lot of things to say. I think it made me look very enthusiastic and all. :biggrin: I also had a piece of paper saying "YOU CAN DO IT!" and a book with my picture on the cover to keep my spirits up haha.
Reply 168
I got an interview at LCF. :smile:
Original post by dylansdream
i've applied for
Edinburgh College of Art - Photography
Glasgow School of Art - Photography
Edinburgh Napier - Photography & Film
University of Dundee - Time based Art and Digital Film
Robert Gordon University - Communication Design

i only applied to Scotland cause i was totally freaked out by the thought of graduating with a huge tuition loan :s-smilie:

the portfolio doesn't really worry me, but most places also want 'supportive material' like scetchbooks and such. i don't have any and it's not really how i work. i have some very random journals of stuff i like but most of them are so random and are hard to connect with my work. sure i have photographers and such who have inspired me but i don't know how i should present that. make just some notes about how i think they've influenced me? so how have you resolved this issu? (if it even is an issue for anyone else.)
and i haven't done an art foundation course, where i'm guessing many of you have done stuff like that. i'm from Finland and i've studied photography for 3 years, but in a technical sense, not in an art school.

Hi. nice, i'm applying to ECA and GSA as well, i just wanted to ask you whether you've heard anything from either?
Reply 170
Original post by madrassnuff
Hi. nice, i'm applying to ECA and GSA as well, i just wanted to ask you whether you've heard anything from either?

Sorry to butt in here, but I'm also applying to ECA and GSA. Haven't heard anything yet, though. :smile:
Reply 171
Hey everyone,
So, i've applied for photography at NTU, LCC ,Plymouth ,Brighton and Falmouth..
Im doing sociology, english lit, english lang and Photography at A level.
SO far...
Plymouth have given me an offer after interview
Brighton rejected me yesterday after i sent 10 images. - GUTTED !
LCC- interview on 16th Feb
Falmouth- Interview 22nd Feb
NTU-waiting for a reply after VERY bad interview :frown: :frown:

Considering doing an art foundation year at LCC next year instead, anyone know anything about that? or about living in london?

Good luck everyone!

Izzy x
Original post by cburgess
I have an interview at NTU on the 7th March too! What's the powerpoint you mentioned? & what time is your interview at? (:

I had to send them a powerpoint with 12 pieces of my on it via email. Mine's at 10.30am in the Newton building I think, what about you? So nervous!! :smile:
Original post by ItsIzzzy
Hey everyone,
SO far...

Considering doing an art foundation year at LCC next year instead, anyone know anything about that? or about living in london?

Good luck everyone!

Izzy x

i don't know much about the lcc foundation course because there wasn't enough fine art in it, but foundations at ual in general have a really good reputation, the only thing u always here is the fact they take so many students there is very little individual contact time with tutors. i was going to apply for ccw this year but kind of forgot as i got an offer from my 2nd choice for degree and already have interviews for uca epsom and ravensbourne for foundation.

lived in london all my life and completely love it, it can be expensive but only for tourists, as long as u avoid the obvious areas it's fine and there's so much to do during the day, night and in terms of photography resources,
Reply 174
Original post by ItsIzzzy
Hey everyone,
SO far...

Good luck everyone!

Izzy x

what was the NTU interview like? what did you have to do/what did they ask? sorry to hear it went bad! x
Reply 175
Is anyone going to an interview at Westminster on the 14th for the Photographic Arts BA?
Just got an email telling me I have an invite for wimbledons photography and time based media degree, but waiting for the date to come through on the ucas system!
Reply 177
Original post by LauraG1992
what was the NTU interview like? what did you have to do/what did they ask? sorry to hear it went bad! x

Hey,
yeah it was so bad!! Don't be worried though, I'm sure it was just me. i got a bald guy and a woman with short red hair, they both just destroyed everything i said and pushed me to answer why and question everything i said. they randomly asked me about my favourite film and where i was from with regards to my unusual last name etc etc.
I felt totally annihilated by the end of it :frown:

Good luck!!

Iz x
got bare offer from NUCA! interview was pretty chill
Reply 179
Original post by markosparko1994
got bare offer from NUCA! interview was pretty chill

What was the interview like? I'm so worried cause i have the interview next week and it's my top choice i think

Quick Reply

Latest