The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6720
I just thought I would add a quick point that helped me to put things in perspective when I was waiting to hear from casting - a good friend of mine's good friend (who I've also met quite a few times) recently found out she did not make the Olympic squad for her sport. She competed in Beijing and gave up her job 4 years ago to focus on her sport and on competing in London 2012, and was a key part of the squad right until the (almost) last moment. I can't begin to imagine how devastating that would be - she really should have been in it (part of the reason why she missed out was due to recent illness), and to have worked so incredibly hard for the last 4 years (and of course in the years previously) only to miss out on being in your home Olympics must be heartbreaking.

So for the reserves out there, it's so disappointing not to be cast at this stage (I certainly know the feeling), but it might help to imagine if you were in my friend's position, and how much worse that would probably feel. I'm certainly not trying to belittle anyone's disappointment, just thought it might help, as it helped me to put things in perspective a bit.

(and in relation to the last few posts and the slightly strained atmosphere, this absolutely isn't directed at anyone in particular, it just occured to me just now to share).
Original post by Cazzaraz
I just thought I would add a quick point that helped me to put things in perspective when I was waiting to hear from casting - a good friend of mine's good friend (who I've also met quite a few times) recently found out she did not make the Olympic squad for her sport. She competed in Beijing and gave up her job 4 years ago to focus on her sport and on competing in London 2012, and was a key part of the squad right until the (almost) last moment. I can't begin to imagine how devastating that would be - she really should have been in it (part of the reason why she missed out was due to recent illness), and to have worked so incredibly hard for the last 4 years (and of course in the years previously) only to miss out on being in your home Olympics must be heartbreaking.

So for the reserves out there, it's so disappointing not to be cast at this stage (I certainly know the feeling), but it might help to imagine if you were in my friend's position, and how much worse that would probably feel. I'm certainly not trying to belittle anyone's disappointment, just thought it might help, as it helped me to put things in perspective a bit.

(and in relation to the last few posts and the slightly strained atmosphere, this absolutely isn't directed at anyone in particular, it just occured to me just now to share).

Thank you Cazzaraz it really does put things into perspective and I hope it helps all the reserves/not heards with their impossible waits. Good luck to you!
How horrible for her, Cazzarazz. After all, this is all for the athletes since if it wasn't for them, none of us would be here.

Yesterday at the synchronised swimming, we were watching 8 duets compete for the final four spots at the Games. The final pairing did enough to get into fourth place and their joy was clear to see. Equally, the heartbreak of those now in 5th knowing that their Olympic dream was over was very emotional to see.
Reply 6723

It certainly does put things in perspective.
Reply 6724
[QUOTE="MsIs;37258661"]
Original post by adelie27

With regard to the comments about getting rained on in the ceremonies we may well be standing by with umbrellas for you !

QUOTE]

Can you add a steaming mug of hot chocolate (Cadburys of course) with marshmallows to the umbrella please Adelie27 :biggrin:

Do you want crumbled chocolate flake on the top as well ?:wink:
Original post by RocKeRG
I had the same plan, not to miss any. But they are quite specific that you can miss two non-compulsory ones without jeopardising your place. You tried your hardest to check. It's really not worth the personal and financial grief of trying to move hotels and flights in this case.

True. Very true.

If I wasn't studying full time I would have booked my holidays before or after the rehearsals to avoid any potential clashes.

Just had a chat with my other half and we both came to the agreement that as far as they were concerned, I am "just another body" in a mass group. They already mentioned in their email that they have a "healthy reserve list of people who are just waiting to get the chance to be part of the Ceremony" so if they keep on adding dates here and there, then it's going to get to a point whereby people will end up (through no fault of their own) being relegated to the Reserve List. This is despite them double-checking with Casting (and their diaries) before making arrangements "around" the rehearsals so as to avoid double-bookings.

They've said it right there, they couldn't care less about individual circumstances, because they'll always have those places filled no matter what.

At the moment, we're both still considering rearranging my holiday plans but before changing anything, will need to speak to Casting at Rehearsals first. Yes, I know it will mean losing money (because of rearrangement of travel dates - even the guy on the phone strongly suggested for me not to change my holiday plans) but I've got this horrid feeling that there may be more dates added to the schedule at that particular time of my "well deserved" break.
Reply 6726
Original post by Dancerwoman
No it's not compulsory but I didn't want to miss any of the rehearsals so was rather gutted to see this additional date added to the schedule at a time when I'm supposed to be abroad on holiday! My first holiday in two years!!

Your dates may change again too so it may be a risk moving it incase the schedule changes again and you have another clash. At our first rehearsal it was clear that some people in our segment would get selected to do slightly different things, even at this point - which I'd suspect could impact on their schedule. Your casting person should be there and able to help.

I know what you mean though, I want to go away but have ended up deciding to concentrate on the ceremony and hope to get away later in the year instead (hopefully super toned for the bikini !!!). Good luck!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6727
Original post by commonliner
Can we all take a deep breath, not write for a second, and instead remember the fun we all had doing the coffee-teethbrushing-oystercard-routine at the audition? :smile:

It's extremely remarkable for a forum thread to only have its first argument on page 330+, and I trust it won't take much effort to keep the next 300+ pages equally free from any NMA (as opposed to PMA).

Speaking of NMA, no news from John Lewis...

Well said Commonliner.

We are all very different people from all walks of life who have found a common experience via this forum.

It is very understandable that we have different attitudes and method to dealing with the scenarios we find ourselves in, some positive, some analytical, some encouraging, some more vocal, some more reflective. And of course we all have our own stresses and excitements outside of the world of olympic cermonies which will contribute to how we think and respond to different situations. At the end of the day I am sure everyone is trying to be helpful in whichever way works best for them.

The meetup was fantastic. I'm sure there will be more. I hope that everyone eventually finds a role that gives them a positive outcome, whether its through the ceremonies, gamesmaker, ambassador or something in their local communities. And whatever happens we have shared a unique insight and experience in being part of this process.

Lets keep the good vibes going and hugs to those for whom its not so good at the moment. :smile:
Reply 6728
Original post by decepticon87
Out of curiosity, does anyone know of recall people out there getting definite ‘no answers’ or is it simply that there is still a fair few of us on reserve or unheard status?

Hi decepticon87 - I can assure you, there are plenty of us still waiting! I haven't heard of any 'no' answers.:wink:
Original post by commonliner
Can we all take a deep breath, not write for a second, and instead remember the fun we all had doing the coffee-teethbrushing-oystercard-routine at the audition? :smile:

It's extremely remarkable for a forum thread to only have its first argument on page 330+, and I trust it won't take much effort to keep the next 300+ pages equally free from any NMA (as opposed to PMA).

Speaking of NMA, no news from John Lewis...

Hi Commonliner, hope you are well.

My final words on today's exchanges have to be "Casting could have handled this process so much better than, from my own perspective, they have but let's hope my concerns prove unfounded and it all turns out the way it is supposed to with/without my own volunteer participation as a performer".

Is that succinct enough for everyone to basically "get off my case" now do you think?

Some have said I should wait to hear if I can (which I'm doing) whilst others are saying in my circs. they would have walked by now. Who knows what way to jump is for the best. Might be a nice surprise round the corner for me after all. :u:

Shame about the John Lewis photo btw - wonder why they have not been in touch about it?
Original post by cornishscot

As for how busy/not busy I am right now otherwise .........

Clearly not that busy given the pages of lambasting casting on here!
Original post by adelie27
Well said Commonliner.

We are all very different people from all walks of life who have found a common experience via this forum.

It is very understandable that we have different attitudes and method to dealing with the scenarios we find ourselves in, some positive, some analytical, some encouraging, some more vocal, some more reflective. And of course we all have our own stresses and excitements outside of the world of olympic cermonies which will contribute to how we think and respond to different situations. At the end of the day I am sure everyone is trying to be helpful in whichever way works best for them.

The meetup was fantastic. I'm sure there will be more. I hope that everyone eventually finds a role that gives them a positive outcome, whether its through the ceremonies, gamesmaker, ambassador or something in their local communities. And whatever happens we have shared a unique insight and experience in being part of this process.

Lets keep the good vibes going and hugs to those for whom its not so good at the moment. :smile:

Thanks Adelie27
Original post by Eve 58
Hi decepticon87 - I can assure you, there are plenty of us still waiting! I haven't heard of any 'no' answers.:wink:

Hi Eve 58 - I think there's been one outright "no" from the February round of auditions - can't remember who posted about it though (may have been yesterday/today, not sure if that's any help to you at all?
Original post by shadwell_lad
Clearly not that busy given the pages of lambasting casting on here!

Yawn!
Original post by Ropey1
I want to go away but have ended up deciding to concentrate on the ceremony and hope to get away later in the year instead (hopefully super toned for the bikini !!!). Good luck!

You must be on the unlimited bottled water + 5 hours of continuous exercise at a ridiculously fast tempo diet - I'm sure it'll be very effective :smile:. People pay £100s to get tired, hot and sweaty at bootcamps - and we're getting it for free!
I just thought I would add a quick point that helped me to put things in perspective when I was waiting to hear from casting - a good friend of mine's good friend (who I've also met quite a few times) recently found out she did not make the Olympic squad for her sport. She competed in Beijing and gave up her job 4 years ago to focus on her sport and on competing in London 2012, and was a key part of the squad right until the (almost) last moment. I can't begin to imagine how devastating that would be.

Yep, really sad that this happens too to folk sometimes, I agree.

On the plus side though, the athlete concerned did get a chance to compete at Beijing and may get a chance again in Rio. Of course, her home country would have been so much better for her given how prepared she was to take part by the time she found out etc.
Reply 6736
[QUOTE="adelie27;37261593"]
Original post by MsIs

Do you want crumbled chocolate flake on the top as well ?:wink:

Oooo decisions, decisions. Oh go on then, yes please. Ta. :smile: slurp
Reply 6737
Original post by Caroline27
You must be on the unlimited bottled water + 5 hours of continuous exercise at a ridiculously fast tempo diet - I'm sure it'll be very effective :smile:. People pay £100s to get tired, hot and sweaty at bootcamps - and we're getting it for free!

Heh, they will have to remeasure everyone by the time the costumes are being made.
Original post by Dancerwoman
ARGGGGGHHHHGGGGHHHH!!!

Just received updated rehearsal schedule for Seg 63A closing and they've added an extra date which is the date when I'll be abroad on holiday. I asked Casting twice before I booked whether there were any additional dates to be added and they said "No". So I went ahead and booked.

Flights booked, accommodation arranged. Now it looks as if I'll have to tell my better half that we will have to push back the date of our holiday a couple of days later in order not to miss the rehearsal.

Oh yes....I can imagine, he's gonna be over the moon when I break the news to him tonight - NOT!

Bit peed off to say the least as I didn't want to miss no rehearsal dates.

Oh no - what a nightmare (hope you get it sorted out) - probably fortuitous for you that it's not one of the compulsory rehearsal days you'll miss though - that was a lucky stroke I guess but what a pain all the same, having checked with them before booking the holiday etc.!
Original post by redonionmarmalade
To confirm - yes they got 'nos' after a recall. One was in my recall, the other in a seemingly identical recall (same routine) the next afternoon. Although I haven't seen the emails they received - they may have interpreted the reserve email as a no - but I doubt it, as they were really keen and would have definitely hung in as reserves.

Thanks for clarifying that point.

Latest