The Student Room Group

Engineering degree choices. Which one?

Okay so as a career I'd love to design and build the machines that factories use to produce things.
(The machines in the production process's on 'How its made'.)

I don't know the correct name for these machines so that would be nice to know.

But which degree do I need to take to learn about these?

I have found Electronic, Mechatronics, and Mechanical degrees I can get on but which one would really lead me into the right direction.

Is anyone currently studying these? Can you tell me what you get up to on your course?

Does anyone do this for a job and could you explain a bit more about it to me?

Thanks in advance, I understand there is a lot of questions there.
Reply 1
i'm interested as well
Well I'm doing Mechanical, and it's probably the broadest of all the engineering disciplines, and the most common. We do Mechanics, Fluids, Thermodynamics, Design work and some other stuff.

You seem to be interesting in Manufacturing engineering, which is often lumped in with mechanical engineering (A lot of MechEng departments are in fact Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering).

Mechatronic is a blend of Mechanical and Electronic as far as I know.

It's sort of hard to know how much depth you want, if you have any more specific questions feel free to ask them.
Original post by cybersmile
Okay so as a career I'd love to design and build the machines that factories use to produce things.

I have found Electronic, Mechatronics, and Mechanical degrees I can get on but which one would really lead me into the right direction.

Is anyone currently studying these? Can you tell me what you get up to on your course?

If you want to design and build factory machines then mechatronics is your program. I did few courses from Mechatronics program and they were hard but excellent. Finding a job for this course won't be hard but you will have to look at the countries that design and build. Otherwise a wrong choice will take you to another career path which is technician for servicing those machines.
I don't have much info on it but your university career services are the best resource.
Original post by cybersmile

Manufacturing automation is a multidisciplinary industry which will have plenty of every kind of engineers. Choose whichever sounds more interesting to you.

I do not advise taking mechatronics path since both Mechanical and Electrical engineers will learn those things anyway. Imperial for instance has mechatronics as a part of the mechanical engineering curriculum.
Reply 5
There is a lot of cross-sector mish-mash when it comes to engineering. Extremely broadly speaking-
Chemical = oil industry
Mechanical = anything that moves
Electrical/Electronics = electricity. From power stations to robotics
Civil = bridges (LOL) general construction

They're the 4 main ones. others are just bits and pieces which take things from those disciplines. There are others like systems engineering that are very broad, but they all underly the same principles- and the common language is mathematics. So if you like applying mathematics to solve the worlds problems, then engineering is for you.

The point of University from industries point of view is to learn how to keep learning. I studied Electronics Engineering, I now do high level project management in my job for a massive engineering firm. My job could easily be done by a Mechanical or Chemical Engineer. Indeed, I've often been put on thermodynamics work when the aerospace engineer beside me works on making a prototype circuit board. we're really doing the jobs each other would be more suited for, but that isn't really relevant. Sure, if you want to make chips for intel- then electronics will get you there. If you want to do production lines, then a knowledge of systems and mechanical is probably more relevant.

With the courses, a lot is similar- the maths for instance. You'll all learn how to do partial differential equations, but whilst the mechanical and aero undergrads learn thermodynamics equations, electronics students will do laplace transforms. The projects you do are based on your course too, and to the university you study at. I went to Southampton and did nanotechnology in their new clean-rooms. I also was involved in high voltage testing in my electrical modules, blasting samples with thousands of volts in the name of research. Mechanical eng students I knew did various investigations on regenerative breaking systems, aero guys worked on a new parachute for skydivers, whilst the electronics guys made a submersible robot.

This stuff wont be until your third of fourth year though- which gives you time to try all sorts of different things and discover which modules you like, which you're good at, and which you never want to see again as long as you live.

I applied for several universities all with different courses- Electronic Eng, Systems Eng, Physics, General Eng, Nanotechnology. I ended up picking out of a hat, and I still don't regret it. (Tip: if you feel disappointed picking one course out of a hat, its because you don't really want to do it, deep down. listen to that, and pick again)

If I were you, do systems. Its a relatively new discipline, but key, and there are very few engineers out there that understand it, so it's nice and employable. Failing that, Mechanical would be my next choice- but thats based on that one sentence you wrote about liking factory machines. I wouldn't worry too much about the electronics side of things- every engineer will have to work with computer systems, and you'll learn plenty about that.

You'll have plenty of job opportunities after uni regardless, particularly if you go out, take the initiative and work over a summer or two at a firm.
Reply 6
Hi guys I wanted a bit of advice, I'm at Warwick studying general engineering, but I'am thinking of applying to UCL for electrical engineering which I'm really keen on doing. I got AAB at A-level in Maths, I.T and physics respectively and I'm going to do the c3 and c4 modules for maths in January because I'am more than confident I can get an A* in maths. How should I carry out my application through UCAS and how should I approach the situation when applying as UCL would obviously think that if I've got A-levels and I'm applying there, what would I be doing this year. Should tell them that I'm at Warwick and promise them that if I get a particular grade like 2:1 in my first year of study and the A* in maths this year, if they could consider me along with a personal statement given through UCAS. What should I do ?
Reply 7
Im currently an 'aeronautical engineer' according to my job title... or a toolmaker more specifically to people who ask, for BAE systems, Im 23 and while working have gained a BTEC National, National Certificate, Higher National Certificate and Higher National Diploma all in Manufacturing Engineering (specific to Aeronautical Engineering with regards to them picking subjects for us to write essays on etc). Theyve just announced massive redundancies, so I have decided to come up with a plan if the worst happens and I am dismissed :frown: and as Im young Im planning on using my qualifications to do a Mechanical Engineering Degree. The reason I have picked this is it is the most broad subject, and according to my employer, the most in demand and sought after they look for when employing people with experience (I did an apprentership). I get the impression lately when talking to people and reading things like this on the internet it is the one to go for if your not quite sure what job you want to do as it covers everything and seems to be considered a 'good' degree as far as employing you goes, aka youl have a basic knowledge of pretty much anything they want you to do in a job role.

From the courses ive took up to HND in Manufacturing Engineering Ive found its more directed at hands on, perfect for my role as a tooly, but if you want to design I would definitely go for Mechanical Engineering, this is the field I want to go into too :smile: Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest