The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Economics Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Original post by I.See.Numbers
Do you guys think there would be any point applying to Warwick with these grades as one of my choices as I would like to go into IB in the future and I am trying to nail down target universities.

My GCSE grades are; *didn't work hard at all*
5 A's 2 B's and 3 C's

*Predicted but most likely*
A - levels;
Economics A*
Maths A*
Physics A*
English lit A*
Rs (As - level) A (done)

Also I was wondering should I do AS further maths as well?

Hi,
Your GCSE grades are below what we would see from a typical Warwick applicant, but on the strength of your A Level (predicted) performance, I would encourage you to think about applying using the Warwick AWARDS scheme. This gives you the opportunity to discuss your GCSE performance in more details and communicate to us the reasons you think they don't reflect your current and future level of ability.

In terms of your A-Levels, we only make applications on the basis of a maximum of 4 subjects, so, as we don't have a preference for Further Maths, you should consider whether or not it will be beneficial for you in terms of making an offer.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 441
Original post by uxa595
Is there any chance of transferring from accounting and finance to economics if i have the grades, before the start of the academic year?

Hi,
we typically don't permit such a transfer before the start of the academic year because Economics is a course that is in "sufficient demand" that we will likely fill all our places with people who have applied for Economics. Thus there isn't capacity to permit such transfers.

Secondly, we would evaluate applications for Economics on different criteria to those used for Accounting and Finance (which is hosted by WBS), so, in the interest of fairly and consistently evaluating everyone who applied to us, we would ask you to apply again in the next admissions cycle (starting 2013) so you could be evaluated against other potential economics candidates.
Reply 442
Hello,

I've only just decided that I'd like to do Economics at university, and am doing background reading around the subject. I don't do A-Level Economics, would I be at a disadvantage when applying?

I have 8A*s and 3As at GCSE and am currently doing AS Levels in Maths, Physics, French, Chinese and Chemistry.

Thanks
Hello I was wondering how strict the grade boundaries are for economics. What if you miss out on the A* by a couple of marks or so, would you still consider giving the applicant a place?
Reply 444
Original post by vmwl
Hello,

I've only just decided that I'd like to do Economics at university, and am doing background reading around the subject. I don't do A-Level Economics, would I be at a disadvantage when applying?

I have 8A*s and 3As at GCSE and am currently doing AS Levels in Maths, Physics, French, Chinese and Chemistry.

Thanks

Hi,
no, not having Economics at A-Level is not a disadvantage. We just ask that you get a grade A in Maths A2. There is some more info about this in the first few posts of the thread which may be of use.
Reply 445
Original post by EdScrutton
Hello I was wondering how strict the grade boundaries are for economics. What if you miss out on the A* by a couple of marks or so, would you still consider giving the applicant a place?

Hi,
there's some info regarding this in the FAQ section of the thread (which I think is the third post)
Hey, this is a slightly different question. I was wondering if you know at all if a PPE degree (from Warwick including the economics major) will prepare me sufficiently for a Masters in pure economics should I wish to apply. I.E Will it have enough economics content for my application to not be discarded immediately and give me a realistic chance of getting in?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 447
Original post by Deep456
Hey, this is a slightly different question. I was wondering if you know at all if a PPE degree (from Warwick including the economics major) will prepare me sufficiently for a Masters in pure economics should I wish to apply. I.E Will it have enough economics content for my application to not be discarded immediately and give me a realistic chance of getting in?

Hi,
yes, but you would probably need to choose the Quantitative Techniques B modules in first year, the Econometrics 1 option in second year, and the final year Research in Applied Economics in third year, probably alongside some more "technical" Economics options to demonstrate your skills in theoretical Economics.
Hello!

I am about to get myself a new laptop and I was wondering which OS will be better suitable, Windows or Mac, considering any specific software/programmes we would need to install as part of the course. I plan to do a majority of Math & Data Analysis modules so I assume we would need some database software. I have some visual disability so I may need to install the magnification software used by the university if necessary. I would actually prefer a Mac because it comes with very efficient magnification and of course is virus-free.

Thank you for your time. :smile:
Reply 449
hi
i'm an italian student and i'd like to find out information about the requirements to meet in order to attend economics at warwick
what's the typical offer to italian applicants?any particular one?
are there italian guys studying economics at warwick?

thank you very much
Anyone know what the easiest 2nd & 3rd Year Econ modules are? Please quote this post.
Reply 451
Original post by jesuisbelle88
Hello!

I am about to get myself a new laptop and I was wondering which OS will be better suitable, Windows or Mac, considering any specific software/programmes we would need to install as part of the course. I plan to do a majority of Math & Data Analysis modules so I assume we would need some database software. I have some visual disability so I may need to install the magnification software used by the university if necessary. I would actually prefer a Mac because it comes with very efficient magnification and of course is virus-free.

Thank you for your time. :smile:

Hi,
there is no software which we would require you to install on your own personal computers. All the software which we would use in courses would be available on the Warwick "networked" computers for you to use, and, if you were to purchase them yourself, they would typically be very expensive anyway.

You would be fine with either a Mac or PC for your own personal use
Reply 452
Original post by RhysB
Hi,
I'm currently studying Maths, Further Maths, Geography and German at A Level, but in regard to the Further Maths, I was wondering how important it is if I wanted to study Economics. I think that I will be able to get an A* in the other 3 subjects but I'm worried about Further Maths. Perhaps I will only get an A or B if i do it at A2. Is it therefore worth doing it only at AS Level so that I can secure an A?

Hi,
We prefer students to take 4 A2 Levels, but do make an offer (which is tougher) if you are taking 3 A2's plus 1 AS.

Specifically with regards to further maths, we have no preference as opposed to other similar subjects (physics, economics, history etc.), so it is a decision for you to make as to whether to continue it or not.
Reply 453
Original post by guidino
hi
i'm an italian student and i'd like to find out information about the requirements to meet in order to attend economics at warwick
what's the typical offer to italian applicants?any particular one?
are there italian guys studying economics at warwick?

thank you very much

Hi,
I think the typical offer is something like

Diploma de Esame di Stato with a minimum of 90% to 95% overall including 95% in Mathematics (state exam) and English (state exam)

However, we are currently reviewing our "non-typical" qualification offers in time for the new application cycle in September. These will be released on the website after the current A-Level results are finalised.
Original post by University of Warwick
Hi,
there is no software which we would require you to install on your own personal computers. All the software which we would use in courses would be available on the Warwick "networked" computers for you to use, and, if you were to purchase them yourself, they would typically be very expensive anyway.

You would be fine with either a Mac or PC for your own personal use

Thank you!
Reply 455
thank you

are there currently italian students at warwick?
Reply 456
Original post by guidino
thank you

are there currently italian students at warwick?

Yes, there is a significant Italian community at Warwick. In the economics department, we tend to have more postgraduate Italian students than undergraduate, but we do have some UG students too.
Reply 457
Hi, would gaining a qualification in stock broking give me an advantage in showing a passion for economics in my personal statement?
Reply 458
Original post by Ecolove
Hi, would gaining a qualification in stock broking give me an advantage in showing a passion for economics in my personal statement?

Stock broking is is not remotely similar to Economics as a university degree IMHO. Knowledge of one wouldn't help you in the other field. Wouldn't waste your time.
Reply 459
Original post by Ecolove

I guess that depends on whether you have an interest in financial economics and applied econometrics. Why you took the qualification matters more than the fact that you did.

Quick Reply

Latest