The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Economics Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by University of Warwick
It’s very unlikely there will be any places left on the economics course; however, it’s always worth a call to UG admissions on results day if you do exceed your offer.

Have there been any previous incidents where students with, for example, 4A*s have called on results day and secured a place on any of the courses?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
How many people study economics or variations of it each year??
Hi,

May I ask for the offers made to applicants ratio, as well as the places to applicants ratio. Also, what is your intake for first year L100?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by CD315
Have there been any previous incidents where students with, for example, 4A*s have called on results day and secured a place on any of the courses?

I got in this year through adjustment!! I got 3A*s and 1A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 784
Original post by Abz_Kebabz
I got in this year through adjustment!! I got 3A*s and 1A.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 4A*s and was told on results morning that everything was full.
I was talking to them at 8:00 am and they gave me an offer about an hour later.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 786
[QUOTE=".....p.....;43984094"]How many people study economics or variations of it each year??[/QUOTEA

Approximately 400+ students.
Reply 787
Original post by Lunch_Box
Hi,

May I ask for the offers made to applicants ratio, as well as the places to applicants ratio. Also, what is your intake for first year L100?

Thanks in advance.

It varies from year to year. In the 2011/12 cycle for example we received approximately 4000 applications from around the world (only 30, or so, were below the entry level). I don't have details on number of offers made to applications (less than 1:4 I would suggest), as from this 4000 only 360ish students were confirmed a place.
Reply 788
I got AAABC on a level math,futher math,economics,physics and history respectively,which isn't Very good but can make sure got at least 1 A* in A2 as I already got 283/300in math and I haven't take S1exam yet.
For futher math,get 98/100 on FP1 and can make sure at least A in A2,
Economics is 160/200 which just reach a A but the predict grade is A in A2.
Physics is 201/240 which should be a A but did very bad at experiment which is physic 3X,but can retake next year and gave confidence to get aA
As I am an international student and just arrived in UK for less than 1year,I do not have GCSE results and do not get a very good marks at language based subject like history.
Will it be possible for me to get into Warwick for economics as I am fairly interested in Eco.
In terms of module content and examinations, what sort of split is there between Maths and essays?
Reply 790
Original post by sherrycui
I got AAABC on a level math,futher math,economics,physics and history respectively,which isn't Very good but can make sure got at least 1 A* in A2 as I already got 283/300in math and I haven't take S1exam yet.
For futher math,get 98/100 on FP1 and can make sure at least A in A2,
Economics is 160/200 which just reach a A but the predict grade is A in A2.
Physics is 201/240 which should be a A but did very bad at experiment which is physic 3X,but can retake next year and gave confidence to get aA
As I am an international student and just arrived in UK for less than 1year,I do not have GCSE results and do not get a very good marks at language based subject like history.
Will it be possible for me to get into Warwick for economics as I am fairly interested in Eco.

There is no direct answer to that question; it will depend on the strength of your complete application relative to the other applications that year. Our current offers are A*A(maths)AB/A*A(maths)Aa. However, the application is made up of four components, your AS/A2 levels, personal statement, past academic record and academic reference. Given how competitive the Warwick application process is, all four components need to be strong. For ideas on what we look for in personal statements please see, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_Statement_Library. I was suggest a bit more enthusiasm than "fairly interested".
Reply 791
Original post by Michael_876
In terms of module content and examinations, what sort of split is there between Maths and essays?

The majority of modules will be heavily based in mathematics; however, it is not a mathematics course. The overall aim is to enable the student to construct and express coherent economic ideas using a combination of mathematical and written work, culminating in an independent economic 3rd year project, with continued supervision, on a topic of your choice. The exact split will depend on your module choice throughout the 3 years (see http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/ug/handbook/your_degree_programme/).
That's very useful, thanks!! On the Brisol course they say that the new maths introduced in y1 is roughly the same as further maths AS&A2 - is it going to be much more than that at Warwick? :smile:
I have two questions.

1. Since there is a fair bit of Maths in the course, would Warwick like seeing applicants talk a little bit about Maths in their personal statement?

2. You said Warwick look at past academic record, eg. GCSEs. Could you give me a rough idea of what you see has a competitive set of GCSE results?
I'm wondering what Warwick considers as a good set of GCSE grades?
And also whether some parts of an application is more significant than the others?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 795
Original post by Michael_876
That's very useful, thanks!! On the Brisol course they say that the new maths introduced in y1 is roughly the same as further maths AS&A2 - is it going to be much more than that at Warwick? :smile:

Hi. The current offer you are required to get an A at A2 Maths so you can assume that that will be the expected starting level, which will then increase. However, the size and rate of the increase will be module dependent so it’s difficult to give sweeping statements.
Reply 796
Original post by NedStark
I have two questions.

1. Since there is a fair bit of Maths in the course, would Warwick like seeing applicants talk a little bit about Maths in their personal statement?

2. You said Warwick look at past academic record, eg. GCSEs. Could you give me a rough idea of what you see has a competitive set of GCSE results?

Hi. The sole aim of the degree course is teach economics. Therefore, the main focus of the personal statement should be economics. There is definitely no requirement to include any mathematical content. We just want to see that you are interested in economics (how you show that is your choice).
There is no gold standard for the GCSE record. Someone with no A* can get an offer, while someone will all A* may not. Each application is read in detail and all components: AS/A2 results, personal statement, past academic record and academic reference are taken into account. The final decision is made on the whole and not on individual components (obviously, the stronger each component the better your chance).
Reply 797
Original post by spyrogyra
I'm wondering what Warwick considers as a good set of GCSE grades?
And also whether some parts of an application is more significant than the others?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please see the previous reply regarding GCSE grades. There is no specific component weighting. Given the strength of the students applying to Warwick all components have to be strong, as each application is assessed against all others in that year. The only strict guideline for offers to be made are the A*A(maths)AB/A*A(maths)Aa.
Reply 798
I'm an international student and plan to do foundation year in either UCL UPCH or Warwick HEFP from 2014.
Would you tell me how many people got accepted from foundation to Warwick Economics last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 799
Original post by Ken5
I'm an international student and plan to do foundation year in either UCL UPCH or Warwick HEFP from 2014.
Would you tell me how many people got accepted from foundation to Warwick Economics last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I don’t have the figures to hand. Further, I would argue not to give them out as they are not particularly informative unless you also have information on the number of actual applicants / number of rejections etc, as otherwise false conclusions can easily be drawn.

Quick Reply

Latest