Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Economics Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 880
Original post by bgeorgb
Hello,

I have applied for Pg Diploma Economics on 28th Feb and still do not have an answer. I got an email that only one of my refeeres have been contacted and sent a letter of recommendation for me but the second was not contacted I do not know why. Should I contact the University and ask what happened? Is it normal to contact only one of the referees and should I be worried that they are still not answering me (5 weeks by tomorrow).

Also I was wondering is the uni making decisions during the spring break?

Thank you in advance

Hi, I do not have access to individual applications. In order to check the status of your application I would email the post graduate office in the economics department: [email protected], or the university post-graduate office via its query form: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/contacts/.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 881
Original post by Vort
Hello,

I have received an offer for BSc Economics. I have to decide whether I should attend Warwick; I would like your assistance on this matter.
Could you please give me some statistics regarding my employability on graduation assuming I get a 2:1 or higher in L100? And, would I be at any disadvantage because I am an international student?

Thank you.

Employability rates for Warwick graduates are among the highest (if not number one) of all universities in the UK. Further, given the student base is very diverse with over 50% of the undergraduates coming from outside the UK, international students are definitely not at a disadvantage. For specific and the most up to date statistics see http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/l100/#course-tab-1 and you may also wish to follow the link to UNIStats.
Reply 882
I have received a conditional offer for Economics and Politics from Edinburgh and a conditional offer for Economics, Politics and Int. Studies from Warwick. My insurance is Queen Mary, London. My first choice would be either Warwick or Edinburgh (the conditions are very similar). I'm an international student and what made me wonder was that in UK rankings Warwick usually placed in the top 3 for my course while Edinburgh didn't even make the top 25. Internatioal rankings generally placed Edinburgh in the top 20 while Warwick didn't make the top 150. Furthermore, Edinburgh is on the 15th place in the Global Employability University Ranking while Warwick isn't on the list.

Does anybody know what's the reason for this? Which university would you choose?

Thanks in advance!! xx
I have received an offer for Management (AAAC with As in Economics and Mathematics) and I met the offer when I got my GCE A Level results back a few weeks ago. However, I'm interested in changing my course to Economics and Industrial Organization. Do you know if it's possible to request a change in course after receiving my offer?

Additionally, what are the pros and cons of taking Econs and Industrial Organization as opposed to straight Economics?

Thank you in advance! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 884
Hello,

I've been offered a conditional offer for Economics (Postgrad diploma). Can you tell me to what kind of scholarship I am allowed to apply for?
Reply 885
Original post by __iska
I have received a conditional offer for Economics and Politics from Edinburgh and a conditional offer for Economics, Politics and Int. Studies from Warwick. My insurance is Queen Mary, London. My first choice would be either Warwick or Edinburgh (the conditions are very similar). I'm an international student and what made me wonder was that in UK rankings Warwick usually placed in the top 3 for my course while Edinburgh didn't even make the top 25. Internatioal rankings generally placed Edinburgh in the top 20 while Warwick didn't make the top 150. Furthermore, Edinburgh is on the 15th place in the Global Employability University Ranking while Warwick isn't on the list.

Does anybody know what's the reason for this? Which university would you choose?

Thanks in advance!! xx

It is not easy to summarise rankings as each uses different factors and weightings to generate the aggregate index. A well respected university guide is the Complete University Guide - http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Economics. If you do not want to rely on aggregate rankings (and the factors and weights they use) the National Student Survey (another well respected body) website contains statistics for specific areas of university life (both social and academic): http://www.thestudentsurvey.com/.
Reply 886
Original post by in-reveries
I have received an offer for Management (AAAC with As in Economics and Mathematics) and I met the offer when I got my GCE A Level results back a few weeks ago. However, I'm interested in changing my course to Economics and Industrial Organization. Do you know if it's possible to request a change in course after receiving my offer?

Additionally, what are the pros and cons of taking Econs and Industrial Organization as opposed to straight Economics?

Thank you in advance! :smile:

Transfers are decided on a case by case basis. If you want to change to Economics (or Economics of Industrial Organisation) it will typically be a no at this stage, as the admissions team will have made the maximum number of offers possible. However, if you want further information on your case you should email the admissions team directly: [email protected]. The best way to compare L100 and L116 is to look through the course structures and respective modules on the economics website: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/current/ug/overview/. This way you can decide which interests you the most.
Reply 887
Original post by bgeorgb
Hello,

I've been offered a conditional offer for Economics (Postgrad diploma). Can you tell me to what kind of scholarship I am allowed to apply for?

The best place to find information is the post-graduate website and respective contacts: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/international/admissions/finance/scholarships/.
Reply 888
What is the average starting salary for an economic graduate and what percentage go on to employement? Thankyou
Reply 889
Hi there, I was wondering roughly how many economics undergraduates are there in a year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm considering applying for Economics at Warwick in a Gap Year in the 2014/2015 cycle. I have taken Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics as my subjects and I am considering taking Further Maths AS in the gap year. What are my chances considering my more scientific subject choice? Would A2 Further Maths be a better choice to balance my A Levels?
Reply 891
I have received a conditional offer for BSc Economics. If the offer is missed, I'm wondering if I am more disadvantaged if I have chosen Warwick as my Insurance instead of my Firm? Also, what is normally the policy on missed grades?
Thanks
Original post by monisj1
What is the average starting salary for an economic graduate and what percentage go on to employement? Thankyou

The average salary 6 months after the course is £29,000. Around 94% of undergraduates go into graduate jobs within 6 months of graduating (96% if you include further education). For these statistics and many more search http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/.
Original post by tan11
Hi there, I was wondering roughly how many economics undergraduates are there in a year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It varies from year to year but approximately 360-390. Total number of UG is over 11,000, with 50% from outside the EU. A very diverse interesting place to work and learn.
Original post by SteelCookie
I'm considering applying for Economics at Warwick in a Gap Year in the 2014/2015 cycle. I have taken Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics as my subjects and I am considering taking Further Maths AS in the gap year. What are my chances considering my more scientific subject choice? Would A2 Further Maths be a better choice to balance my A Levels?

Further Maths is treated as any other core A2 subject. Yes it is true we value breadth as well as depth in our applicants. If you feel your A2 subjects do not signal the breadth of your interests, then this is something you should expand upon in your personal statement, with reference to extracurricular activities potentially.
Original post by Mkhad
I have received a conditional offer for BSc Economics. If the offer is missed, I'm wondering if I am more disadvantaged if I have chosen Warwick as my Insurance instead of my Firm? Also, what is normally the policy on missed grades?
Thanks

I cannot speak for your case, but given the level of grades required is so high, in general, if you miss your firm offer you will be likely miss our offer also (I would not recommend putting Warwick as insurance). In terms of missing grades, given the high level of competition, if you miss your offer there is only a marginal chance you will be accepted onto the course. The number of near misses admitted will ultimately depend on how many people achieve their offer (they are automatically accepted on to the course). The number is typically very low. However, if you feel you have underperformed in your exams due to extenuating circumstances then you should contact the undergraduate admissions team as soon as possible: [email protected].
Reply 896
can you tell me how many students are accepted on average for PG Diploma in Economics
Hello,

I am currently in yr 12 doing my AS Levels, studying Maths, Further Maths, Economics and History.

I feel like I can get: an A in Maths, A in Further maths, A/B in Economics and B/C in History

I got 7As 4Bs at GCSE

I was wondering with these grades would there be any chance of me getting an offer at Warwick for Bsc Economics
Do you need FM to be considered a strong candidate in economics? I am doing FM next year but it will only be to AS, will this suffice or am I very disadvantaged?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also, how heavily are extracurricular activities weighed on an application? Is it usually required to have more than just extensive wider reading?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest