The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Economics Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by funkydee
What were the no of applications, offers made and total acceptances for last year's cycle

Hi,
I think I give stats on this in the Notes document linked to in the original post.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 141
Original post by faisal93
If come results day I achieve grades A*A*BB instead of the A*AAB offer, would I still be accepted?

Hi,
this would class as missing the offer, as grades are evaluated individually against the offer, not on aggregate.

Whether we were able to offer you a discretionary place would depend on how close we were to our Government control numbers, and the relative strength of others who had missed their offers.

For example, in 2010, we hit our control number on Results Day, so were unable to offer any discretionary places to Home/EU students, some of whom had better results than A*A*BB.
Reply 142
Original post by Sam Jones1
Hi,

I'm interested in taking the L100 Economics BSc at Warwick. I'm doing Maths, Economics and Biology at A2 and also the Welsh Baccalaureate. Am I right in my understanding that the offer would be A*AA plus Welsh Bac?

Thanks!

Hi,
yes, that is correct

Original post by Alpha5
I'm sure this has been asked but does warwick consider a BTEC distinction the equivalent to an GCSE A*, as its a little unfair on some state schools who force their students to do BTECs but tell us little about their worth only that they boast the schools league table position.

Will warwick consider the schools GCSE and AS-level average performance?
Thanks

Hi,
at this time, we don't have the schools GCSE and A-Level average performance automatically provided to us by UCAS, so we can't take that into account. We do take into account contextual information, in relation to academic performance, when it's provided into the School's reference, however.

Am still chasing info on the BTEC at the moment.
Reply 143
Hello! How many Romanians are studying Economics L100 at Warwick? Couldn't find it on your website.
Reply 144
Original post by aalex
Hello! How many Romanians are studying Economics L100 at Warwick? Couldn't find it on your website.

Hi,
I don't have figures to hand for this current year, but one Romanian student applied for entry to L100 last year.
I want to apply to do economics, politics and international relations. i also want to apply to do PPE.

which is more competitive? How many offers are given for the EPIS course?

my gcse grades are 3A*S 4 As and 3Bs. and my predicted grades are 3A*s and an A.
are my GCSE grades too bad?
sorry for bombarding you with questions. :smile:
Reply 146
Hello there I'm interested in the bsc economics programe.
I self taught my self the AS economics syallbus all on my own and would this look good on my application.
Also I am unable to carry it on to a2 so would this hinder my app?
Thanks.
Reply 147
Original post by qwerty1993
I want to apply to do economics, politics and international relations. i also want to apply to do PPE.

which is more competitive? How many offers are given for the EPIS course?

my gcse grades are 3A*S 4 As and 3Bs. and my predicted grades are 3A*s and an A.
are my GCSE grades too bad?
sorry for bombarding you with questions. :smile:

They are both very highly competitive courses, though I don't have numbers for PPE to hand. We do not have separate targets for EPAIS vs L100 vs L112, so there is no fixed number of offers for the course.

Your GCSE grades are not too bad to get an offer, but they form part of the application profile, so I would need to see the rest of your application to determine how important they are.
Reply 148
How much emphasis does Warwick put on the teacher reference?
I've taken 4 AS subjects Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics, and achieved A's in all of them. For A2 I am taking Maths, Further Maths and Economics. Is their any problems with the A2 subjects I am continuing with, or are they perfectly fine?
Also my GCSE grades are not as good as others at 1 A*,8A's and 2B's. How badly will this affect my application for studying Economics at Warwick? Lastly, on your 'Notes on Applications to Economics for 2012/13 Entry', what do you mean by 2012/2013 entry? For this years applications for students wanting to start after summer 2012 or for students sending off ucas applications after summer 2012.

Sorry if I have repeated anything, but I just need these queries answered.
Thank you.
In terms of the UCAS application, can you put your UMS scores in the other box?
If you can, would warwick prefer your UMS marks or grades for the UCAS application?

Thanks
Reply 151
Original post by alexsmith_85
If you can, would warwick prefer your UMS marks or grades for the UCAS application?

Thanks

How about putting both in the other box: A (89/90), etc.
Would Warwick economics accept content outside of a UCAS form. For example academic papers that a student may have written?
Original post by Groat
How about putting both in the other box: A (89/90), etc.

Is this what you have done so: Grade and then your UMS MARK/the total marks available
e.g.

A 92/100
Reply 154
Hi, I have some question about core microeconomics 1 and 2 and core macroeconomics 1 and 2.
In these modules:
how frequent is the use of maths?
how difficult is the maths involved?
i.e. is the maths harder than /easier than / about the same level as A level maths?
Reply 155
Original post by Alpha5
How much emphasis does Warwick put on the teacher reference?

Hi,
it forms part of the overall academic profile, but the importance we place on it will vary in respect to that which is present in other areas of the application.
Reply 156
Original post by Taj S Padda
I've taken 4 AS subjects Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics, and achieved A's in all of them. For A2 I am taking Maths, Further Maths and Economics. Is their any problems with the A2 subjects I am continuing with, or are they perfectly fine?
Also my GCSE grades are not as good as others at 1 A*,8A's and 2B's. How badly will this affect my application for studying Economics at Warwick? Lastly, on your 'Notes on Applications to Economics for 2012/13 Entry', what do you mean by 2012/2013 entry? For this years applications for students wanting to start after summer 2012 or for students sending off ucas applications after summer 2012.

Sorry if I have repeated anything, but I just need these queries answered.
Thank you.

Hi,
your A2 subjects are perfectly fine.

Your GCSE scores are below those of the typical successful applicant to Warwick, but, as I have mentioned elsewhere, this is not necessarily an absolute barrier to receiving an offer.

2012/13 entry simply means those wishing to enter for the 2012/13 academic year (i.e. the current cycle)
Reply 157
Original post by alexsmith_85

Thanks

Hi,
we would prefer to receive as much information about you, and your academic record, as possible, but I think you would need to ask UCAS about what can go in the various boxes on the form.
Reply 158
Original post by Classical Liberal
Would Warwick economics accept content outside of a UCAS form. For example academic papers that a student may have written?

Hi,
the only information we are able to take into account, outside of the UCAS form, is something like supporting medical evidence.

However, if you apply with Warwick AWARDS, you are able to submit more information which can provide context to what we will read on your UCAS form.
Reply 159
Original post by ccc18
Hi, I have some question about core microeconomics 1 and 2 and core macroeconomics 1 and 2.
In these modules:
how frequent is the use of maths?
how difficult is the maths involved?
i.e. is the maths harder than /easier than / about the same level as A level maths?

Hi,
Maths is a key component of all our core modules, and, to some extent, it will be used in pretty much every lecture.
It will range from being pretty straight forward (the use of algebra and differentiation), to being more difficult (matrix and vectors, linear algebra, mathematical proof), but the idea is we don't simply teach you the easiest way, at the expense of the material, but we prefer to teach you the correct and rigorous way, and use more maths in the process.
The maths will go beyond that which you have done at A-Level, but we run a mathematical techniques module in first year which gets you up to speed.

Quick Reply

Latest