The Student Room Group

Debenhams Assessment Day

Woop so had my telephone interview today and passed :smile:

So i'm going for the assessment day on Saturday 10-12 :/ and she explained to me that it would be a group thing and not everyone there is going for the same job and that there would be:

an ice breaker (from what I've searched it's just getting to know one another)
An idividual task
and then the interview.

Sounds pretty simple but I can't believe that's going to take 2 hours :| anyway she told me to research the company maybe the products and services.
Just wondering what else I should research and what sort of questions I can expect in the actual interview?

I felt I had a pretty good answer for 'Why do you want to work for Debenhams' and I was going to throw in their animal rights such as the date they stopped accepting products tested on animals and the stuff on the IUCN red list of threathen species but I didn't say that I felt like I might of been babbling too much. If why you want to work for Debenhams pops up again should I use that in my answer?

Thanks in advance! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hiya

I recently had one.

There were about 13 of us.

We got taken to a training room, and given pieces of paper and a pen. Then were asked to write our names on them and stick them so everyone could see. Then we were asked, in pairs, to discuss what we like about the high street and what we dislike. Then they stuck some board paper up and she asked us all to tell her what we liked/disliked. This went on for about half an hour.

Then we were given (individually) the word Customer Focus and were asked to write words for each letter.. for example.. C.. cheerful, U upbeat.. S .. etc... then we were split into two groups and given board paper to write CUSTOMER FOCUS on and choose the best words from the group to stick on it.. then we discussed that.

Then we were sent out onto the shop floor for 10-15 minutes to find 'wows' and 'repairs' - the wows were things that were good about the store.. and the repairs were things that were bad. We had to do 3 of each. And for the repairs, you had to write one, then put a solution to the repair.

Then it's an individual interview.. then you're free to leave :smile:

My advice:

Dress smart.
Lots of smiles and eye contact, don't talk over anyone and show you are listening (you are being watched whilst you work in a group)

In interview I was asked who were Debenhams main competitors. I said John Lewis/House of Fraser... (John Lewis is their biggest one)..
What would I say if I saw a customer shopping? I would ask what they were buying for, their budget, is it a gift, who is it for etc etc

Sounds daunting but it really wasn't - and I am always really nervous at interview ! :smile:

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Minksthe1

Hiya

I recently had one.

There were about 13 of us.

We got taken to a training room, and given pieces of paper and a pen. Then were asked to write our names on them and stick them so everyone could see. Then we were asked, in pairs, to discuss what we like about the high street and what we dislike. Then they stuck some board paper up and she asked us all to tell her what we liked/disliked. This went on for about half an hour.

Then we were given (individually) the word Customer Focus and were asked to write words for each letter.. for example.. C.. cheerful, U upbeat.. S .. etc... then we were split into two groups and given board paper to write CUSTOMER FOCUS on and choose the best words from the group to stick on it.. then we discussed that.

Then we were sent out onto the shop floor for 10-15 minutes to find 'wows' and 'repairs' - the wows were things that were good about the store.. and the repairs were things that were bad. We had to do 3 of each. And for the repairs, you had to write one, then put a solution to the repair.

Then it's an individual interview.. then you're free to leave :smile:

My advice:

Dress smart.
Lots of smiles and eye contact, don't talk over anyone and show you are listening (you are being watched whilst you work in a group)

In interview I was asked who were Debenhams main competitors. I said John Lewis/House of Fraser... (John Lewis is their biggest one)..
What would I say if I saw a customer shopping? I would ask what they were buying for, their budget, is it a gift, who is it for etc etc

Sounds daunting but it really wasn't - and I am always really nervous at interview ! :smile:

Good luck!

Thank you so much :smile: I really hope this is the sort of assessment day I have tomorrow, from searching forums a lot of people had to 'sell' an item *fingers crossed* that's not what I have tomorrow.

I'm always nervous as well at interviews I feel like they won't want to hire me because I need more confidence -_-

Thanks again! :smile:
Reply 3
where is ur assesment at coz i have 1 tomorrow to ????/
Reply 4
Original post by sahbia

Original post by sahbia
where is ur assesment at coz i have 1 tomorrow to ????/

The Stockport store. I think Debenhams in general do alot of their assessment days on Saturdays though.
Reply 5
Mine was a few days and I haven't heard yet, but they told me if you are successful you can wait around a week.. and if unsuccessful you get a letter within 21 days.

Not good when you have read online that some people get offered the job then and there or they ring up that afternoon :biggrin:
Reply 6
oooooo i have mine in leeds anyways goodluck :smile:
Reply 7

Mine was a few days and I haven't heard yet, but they told me if you are successful you can wait around a week.. and if unsuccessful you get a letter within 21 days.

Not good when you have read online that some people get offered the job then and there or they ring up that afternoon :biggrin:

What did you have to do on you day? and what questions should I expect? I'm really trying to be prepared :biggrin:

I think different Debenhams stores do things differently so fingers crossed you'll hear from them within the next few days :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by sahbia

Original post by sahbia
oooooo i have mine in leeds anyways goodluck :smile:

ahh would of been good if we were both going to the same store haha, good luck with you too :biggrin:
Reply 9
how did it go????/
Reply 10
Original post by sahbia

Original post by sahbia
how did it go????/

It went alright thanks :smile: I had the exact same assessment that Minksthe1 described. How did your day go?
Reply 11
it was alright apart from i did not sell anything the interviewer as she was in a rush :angry:
Reply 12
Original post by sahbia

Original post by sahbia
it was alright apart from i did not sell anything the interviewer as she was in a rush :angry:

We didn't do the 'selling' exercise she said that's the old way they use to do their assessments and what a joke -_- rude woman, they should of done the interviews another day if she was in such a rush
Reply 13
I got the job :smile:

16 hours on Childrenswear. I start in a fortnight!

Well done girls am sure you'll both have done fine!
Reply 14

Ahh congratulations! I'm really happy for you :biggrin: and thanks again for your help/advice it really calmed my nerves down haha.
Reply 15
Debenhams, not the best of places to work and I've heard bad stories of students who've worked there and had horrible experiences i.e. how they get treated by the senior staff, customers, shift patterns.
Reply 16
Original post by Dekota-XS

Original post by Dekota-XS
Debenhams, not the best of places to work and I've heard bad stories of students who've worked there and had horrible experiences i.e. how they get treated by the senior staff, customers, shift patterns.

I've heard the opposite from friends who have worked there, guess it depends what store you're working in. :smile:
for new people, I was a Christmas temp last year and although the people working there are all right, the customers get SO ARSEY. Like I have never had an experience with so many horrid, agitated, stressed customers. And the bad thing was that the christmas temps were of course, new. so we didn't know how to deal with their stresses.. In the debenhams that I worked in, they were incredibly badly organised with the work rotas and the overtime and everything, it was excruciating, and because I was a christmas temp I couldn't say no to the horrible extra shifts they put me down for. i tried to once and got sent to my manager's office. they did still keep me on but just be warned of that :smile: it's especially difficult before christmas because they have so much overtime but you want to be doing christmassy things with your family.

Erm anyway, my interview was incredibly easy. Everyone was dressed really really smart but I just wore semi-smart clothes.. I think I just wore a black skirt and a nice top. but everyone else was in like suits. but i got the job! just be polite. all the questions my interviewer asked me were the same questions that the lady on the phone asked me, apart from like an added few questions e.g. "how would you let a customer know if you were stressed?" (to which i just replied "errm... err... I wouldn't?")

also for the "why do you want to work at debenhams" i wouldn't get too bogged down in the animal rights thing, you could mention it but i don't think it's necessary! I think basically all you have to say is like "it's a well known store and is a good opportunity, this is my first job and i thought it would be a really good starting point" (that's what I said) i think the main issue is whether you can actually answer the questions in a way that doesn't make you look stupid, and whether you seem to be a nice, polite, hard working kind of person. it's not a hard job apart from the stress associated with it.

ALSO (sorry to ramble), the group exercises don't matter too much I think. when I was interviewed, the lady said "how did you find the group exercise? we're just trying it as more of an ice breaker to relax you before you go in for your interview". i didn't say much during my group thing but i don't think they notice much.

i hope this was helpful in any way. sorry for the rambling.
Reply 18
i was the last one to be interviewed and everyone Else's took 20mins but mine was like 10mins, she didn't let me speak as she wanted to move onto the next question. It would not surprise me if i didn't get the job, thanx Minksthe1 good luck in your new job:smile:
Reply 19

Congrats on the new job!! well done, i was wondering how long it took for them to call you back to let you know you got the job?

My assessment day was on saturday and i felt i done ok, i even voluntered to go first on the task where you sell an item to the group and you basically describe why its good,

but then when it was time for the 1 to 1 interview part they got a 4th person who hadnt even saw how i done in the group thing, while the others had one of the 3 interviewers who were making notes, i think i was unsuccessful as they wanted to speed things maybe with the one who were unsuccessful to avoid wasting time maybe?

also the interviewer didnt even ask what hours i can work etc does this mean i didnt get the job, please help as i was also unsuccessful at another assessment thing last time at another debenhams near me and i feel this is going the same way as even last time the same thing with the interviewer happened someone i hadnt seen before

please help anyone?>

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending