The Student Room Group

Five guys hiring process

I applied for a job at Five Guys online a few days ago and I just received an email telling me to book a spot for an 'assessment day' which will take place at a hotel, not the actual Five Guys restaurant. since it is still being built

I'm assuming this will be an interview? but im not completely sure, has anyone been to an assessment day for Five Guys before? and what was it like/what happened?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by jnmp
I applied for a job at Five Guys online a few days ago and I just received an email telling me to book a spot for an 'assessment day' which will take place at a hotel, not the actual Five Guys restaurant. since it is still being built

I'm assuming this will be an interview? but im not completely sure, has anyone been to an assessment day for Five Guys before? and what was it like/what happened?

not quite an interview, more of an activity team-building exercise day.
Nando's do the same, where it's in a hotel complex not the actual restaurant.
i haven't done the assessment day at Five Guys, but I can describe what happened at the one for Asda.
Run a few google searches https://www.google.com/search?q=five+guys+assessment+day&rlz=1C1GCEA_enGB955GB955&oq=five+guys+assessment+day&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i512.3329j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 on the type of interview questions for Five Guys specifically.

Asda assessment day:
Estimated: 30 people in a room. You know only half will get through the next stage.
Make an effort to speak to everyone there and introduce yourself (this shows friendly approach and kindness, which is what's needed in a busy and challenging environment).
Regardless of the table you sit on, there will probably be about 4-5 others, all people you do not know.
These people could be your colleagues, so you need to be yourself but also listen to their thoughts / opinions.
For Asda, the management introduced themselves, and wanted to know more about us.
So they asked us to speak to the person next to us, and find out who they were, what one key interest / hobby was about them, and present it to the group.
Fingers crossed you sit next to someone who explains things clearly.

Once that's done, at the table, they may ask you to describe something about you. This could be like 'what disney character best describes you as a person' or something random like that. Choose the obscure ones (not the common ones like Lion King, Dumbo etc). Obscure ones are the disney movies hardly anyone has heard of. Google :smile:

Also, the management asked us to design and present a summer poster advertising products in the window.
So generally, no one wants to be the lead writer (designer), but take that initiative. Ask everyone in the group for their ideas and contributions. Be clear that you want them to explain their idea to the room. Encourage that team-building.
Even if your handwriting sucks, just step up. Management will notice this in a good way.

(Nando's team building exercise was involving paper, staples, and sellotape to make a tower. The purpose is not to build the tallest tower, but how you interact and communicate as a team).

Hope this helps in some way and good luck.
Original post by jnmp

Hi!

I'm attending an assessment day tomorrow for Five Guys and I was wondering if you could give me any information about how yours went/what happened. Super nervous and just want to be prepared to calm my nerves a bit :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Buckystan123
Hi!

I'm attending an assessment day tomorrow for Five Guys and I was wondering if you could give me any information about how yours went/what happened. Super nervous and just want to be prepared to calm my nerves a bit :smile:

Hi, I also have my assessment day tomorrow, just wondering how yours went? Did you get the job?
Original post by wlucas30
Hi, I also have my assessment day tomorrow, just wondering how yours went? Did you get the job?

Hi!

My assessment day went really well and I did get the job! The assessment day like a big group session and we had to do little activities together and they told us more about the company and what our jobs would be etc. then at the end we had little one on one interviews with the people running it - there was our district manager, 2 general managers and someone from the recruitment team I believe who did these. I got a phone call the next week telling me I’d got the job. Much less scary than I thought it would be. I’ve found that five guys is a company full of very nice people so I’m sure you’ll do great. Good luck with it!!

Which store are you interviewing for? I know we’ve got a few new ones opening in the coming months and I’m just curious ahaha
Reply 5
Hi! congrats, what kind of questions did they ask you?
Original post by Buckystan123
Hi!

My assessment day went really well and I did get the job! The assessment day like a big group session and we had to do little activities together and they told us more about the company and what our jobs would be etc. then at the end we had little one on one interviews with the people running it - there was our district manager, 2 general managers and someone from the recruitment team I believe who did these. I got a phone call the next week telling me I’d got the job. Much less scary than I thought it would be. I’ve found that five guys is a company full of very nice people so I’m sure you’ll do great. Good luck with it!!

Which store are you interviewing for? I know we’ve got a few new ones opening in the coming months and I’m just curious ahaha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending