The Student Room Group

Best language to learn?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Simlish
Original post by Lewis :D
No offence but why not speak in English to them? After all they live here. People seriously overestimate the significance of Mandarin.

It's a good chance to practise his Chinese with them? :P
Reply 82
Original post by JonathanNorth
It's a good chance to practise his Chinese with them? :P

Yes, but his reasoning for British people learning Mandarin was so that they could talk to Chinese people on the streets of the UK
Original post by C4OShea
...I live in Manchester, you walk down the main high street and i see hundred of Chinese. I always have a bit of banter with them as i walk past saying something in chinese...

It's called Mandarin, not Chinese!!! Just like there's no such language called Indian! Anyway I'm a Cantonese-speaking [not Mandarin] Chinese and I get annoyed by people like you who randomly says 'Nee how'! I feel sorry for those who aren't even Chinese. Have you ever heard of Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese etc?
Original post by C4OShea
...my wife is Chinese so it was never about the money...

Is she after your British passport? :wink:
Original post by Cicerao
I never understand this point of view. If you have an interest in Latin, then by all means learn it. However, if you're learning it as a "shortcut" to Italian or similar language, you may as well spend those months actually getting somewhere in Italian. At the end of the day, you'll be further along than someone faffing around with Latin for the sake of it.

If they were only wanting to learn Italian, then absolutely, I take your point. But, learning Latin aids the learning process - I wouldn't go as far as saying it's a shortcut, though - of lots of Romance languages, so actually it's really more to give you a better overall outlook. With Latin, you can understand parts of another Romance language you've never seen before, certainly I found that when I did Romanian later on.
I've made a list of ten languages to learn in my life-time -

Russian, Mandarin, French, Spanish, Arabic, Portuguese, German, Hindi-Urdu, Italian, Japanese (+ Latin, already pretty good at this.)

Currently I'm working on Mandarin mostly. It depends what you want the language for, and of course, which is you'll find most interesting. Any language is of value.
Reply 87
English.
Reply 88
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
Arabic, Russian, Mandarin Chinese or Hindi.

Tbh, if you REALLY want to learn Hindi for economic reasons I don't think that is valid due to the HUGE number of fluent english speakers in India (indeed this is one of the reasons why is becoming economically more powerful). Are you Bengali by the way?
Reply 89
如果你想吃我的鸡巴,除了LaughingBro 我跟你说Chinese就是普通话不是广东话,讨厌死了。在国内除了南方人没多少人说粤语,。其实你们的粤语歌挺好听。兄弟你在英国吗现在吗
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by anshul95
Tbh, if you REALLY want to learn Hindi for economic reasons I don't think that is valid due to the HUGE number of fluent english speakers in India (indeed this is one of the reasons why is becoming economically more powerful). Are you Bengali by the way?

Exactly, a huge amount of Indian English speakers, but a vast lack of Hindi speaking westerners. Don't underestimate the power of being a westerner in an Indian economy. It's not just a case of mutual language, but filing a particular demand.

And yes, I am.
Reply 91
Original post by JinnJamez
English.

Trying to troll but actually an accurate answer for people who aren't English speakers. :colone:
Reply 92
Exactly, a huge amount of Indian English speakers, but a vast lack of Hindi speaking westerners. Don't underestimate the power of being a westerner in an Indian economy. It's not just a case of mutual language, but filing a particular demand.

And yes, I am.

bengali has such a rich tradition of literature. I only understand bits and pieces :frown:. Even the Indian national anthem is in Bengali. Urdu literature is astounding though (but I can only understand some of it when it is written in romanised letters).
Clearly Russian because no matter what you say, you will always sound like a complete badass
bengali has such a rich tradition of literature. I only understand bits and pieces :frown:. Even the Indian national anthem is in Bengali. Urdu literature is astounding though (but I can only understand some of it when it is written in romanised letters).

Both Indian and Bengali national anthems are written by Rabindranath Tagur. I wish I was fluent in Hindi, but alas, as a Bengali speaker, like you, I can only pick up parts here and there.
Reply 95
Original post by TheSophist
Hi,

If I was to learn a language which would be the most fruitful/ esp. for jobs ?

apparently either arabic or chinese is going to be important....

Mandarin Chinese.

With growth (international) shifting from west to east and China in 10 decades time will overtake USA in reserves (according to the Economist), I think learning Mandarin is your best bet. You can be like the head of a Chinese sub firm in Europe or something like that (you've got English and Chinese (future) under your belt)
Reply 96
Both Indian and Bengali national anthems are written by Rabindranath Tagur. I wish I was fluent in Hindi, but alas, as a Bengali speaker, like you, I can only pick up parts here and there.

Hindi as A LANGUAGE TO BE SPOKEN is fine for me, but all bets are off when it comes to reading and writing.

Mujhe liqna and padhna chiyeh kyun ki main urdu ya hindi shiri samjhana chaata hoon. Ek din, shiyad main urdu ya hindi liqna sakhoon, lekin yeh sirf ek kwaish - aur is waqt mujhe lagta hai ke main pana nahi sukunga. Lehkin mujhe university jaana hai aur isliye mere paas waqt nahi hai :frown:.

(I need to read and write so I want to understand urdu or hindi poetry. One day, maybe I might be able to write in hindi and urdu, but this is a wish - and at this time I think I won't be able to do it. But I also have to go university and for this reason I don't have time.)
(edited 12 years ago)
Hindi as A LANGUAGE TO BE SPOKEN is fine for me, but all bets are off when it comes to reading and writing.

Mujhe liqna and padhna chiyeh kyun ki main urdu ya hindi shiri samjhana chaata hoon. Ek din, shiyad main urdu ya hindi liqna sakhoon, lekin yeh sirf ek kwaish - aur is waqt mujhe lagta hai ke main pana nahi sukunga. Lehkin mujhe university jaana hai aur isliye mere paas waqt nahi hai :frown:.

(I need to read and write so I want to understand urdu or hindi poetry. One day, maybe I might be able to write in hindi and urdu, but this is a wish - and at this time I think I won't be able to do it. But I also have to go university and for this reason I don't have time.)

Ami boozilisina kita khoilisun. Ami beshi Bangla mat fareh na, ar kun hindi bala mat nai.
Reply 98
Original post by perplex_
Mandarin Chinese.

With growth (international) shifting from west to east and China in 10 decades time will overtake USA in reserves (according to the Economist), I think learning Mandarin is your best bet. You can be like the head of a Chinese sub firm in Europe or something like that (you've got English and Chinese (future) under your belt)

But it's not a viable option, given how long it takes to learn it. Plus as it's been said before in the massive argument against Mandarin, you won't get anywhere if you only want to learn it for business purposes.
Reply 99
I'm learning Danish.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending