The Student Room Group

Computing A level confusion

I want to study law and have taken computing a level because it looked interesting.
I'm aiming for a top uni so was wondering would computing be counted. Its rather confusing as Cambridge put it on list 4 of subjects BUT it has a gren number next to it.
WTF:smile:
Original post by shak95

Original post by shak95
I want to study law and have taken computing a level because it looked interesting.
I'm aiming for a top uni so was wondering would computing be counted. Its rather confusing as Cambridge put it on list 4 of subjects BUT it has a gren number next to it.

Computing is not a highly respected A level.
Reply 2
Original post by shak95

Computing is a respected A level, ICT is not. What are you actually taking?

Original post by Data

Computing is only slightly more respected than ICT. OP wants to do Law at university, computing isn't really relevant tbh.
Reply 4
Original post by NutterFrutter
Computing is only slightly more respected than ICT. OP wants to do Law at university, computing isn't really relevant tbh.

Depends who you ask. Both Oxford and Imperial College are happy to have Computing A-level, whereas Cambridge appears not to like it for a Computer Science degree.

OP: However, since you are applying to law, that is not important. I can't say whether or not certain institutions look down on Computing or not for Law, I recommend you just email them.
Reply 5
OP
Found this on the LSE's website (i.e. one of the 'best' unis for Law.)
Subject combinations and 'non-preferred' subjects

"We are looking for evidence that you have academic ability and achievement in breadth. For some degrees we require Mathematics at A level or equivalent; details of subject requirements can be found in the programme entries.
The School considers not only the subjects offered by applicants at A level (A2) and AS level, but also the combination of them. Certain subjects are considered by our admissions tutors to be a more effective preparation for studying at LSE. Admissions Tutors will normally consider one of the subjects listed as 'non-preferred' below only if it is offered in combination with two generally preferred subjects. For example, Mathematics, French and Economics would be a suitable combination for almost any of our degrees. Mathematics, French and Business would be acceptable, but we would prefer the first example. On the other hand, Mathematics, Accounting and Media Studies would not normally be considered as suitable as this combination includes two subjects on the 'non-preferred' list below. You should also note that we are less concerned with subject combinations at AS level.
Successful applicants normally offer three A levels (A2s) in our generally preferred subjects, or two generally preferred subjects and one from the following list of subjects that are 'non-preferred.' The list is regularly reviewed by Admissions Tutors:
■Accounting, ■Art and Design, ■Business Studies, ■Communication Studies
■Design and Technology, ■Drama/Theatre Studies, ■Home Economics
■Information and Communication Technology, ■Law, ■Media Studies
■Music Technology, ■Sports Studies, ■Travel and Tourism
An A level (or equivalent) in your first/native language may not be counted."

As you can see there is no mention of Computing. If you read the criteria carefully it says that as long as at least 2 A-levels are not on the non-preferred list, you are fine. This is true of most universities and most courses.

Incidently, in the last three years 4 of my Computing students have gone to do law degrees. One of them is now starting his third year at Manchester Uni.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Fallen
Depends who you ask. Both Oxford and Imperial College are happy to have Computing A-level, whereas Cambridge appears not to like it for a Computer Science degree.

Look more closely - it is listed as "useful".
Reply 7
Original post by sagederby
Look more closely - it is listed as "useful".

For certain colleges, but it is not universal.
Reply 8

Original post by Data

Lol, I'm taking really random combo of A levels.
Chemistry, English Lit, History and Computing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending