The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

The "I've applied to Edinburgh for 2012 entry" chat thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2040
I applied to do English lit at Edinburgh and they still haven't got back to me :'( Although I got into some other places, I really want to go to Edinburgh and I wish they would hurry up! No one from school has been accepted yet... has anyone got an unconditional from them yet?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2041
Original post by mikeandadamsmum
The people I know who got 5A and an offer before xmas were applying for Maths and Medicine - at least 2 of them were Oxbridge applicants, and had their applications in well before the mid Oct deadline. Probably different departments do different things, and maybe the timing of their applications made a difference too.

Hopefully it won't be too much longer before you hear about the MChem.... my son is waiting to hear about MPhys, so we are in the same boat.

Hi

I applied to Oxford and have a conditional from them but would like to hear from Edinburgh as I need an insurance offer.
Reply 2042
Original post by Kost_119
Did you send them an e-mail and they told you that they would hear from them before the end of Feb, or they just sent it by them selves?

They sent me an email at the beginning of Feb.
Original post by whylime
Hi

I applied to Oxford and have a conditional from them but would like to hear from Edinburgh as I need an insurance offer.

Congrats on your Oxford offer - my eldest son is at Lincoln College..... he was also looking to Edin for his insurance but didn't get an offer! Scary but it did focus his mind very sharply on his AH exams...... :tongue:
Reply 2044
Original post by mikeandadamsmum
Congrats on your Oxford offer - my eldest son is at Lincoln College..... he was also looking to Edin for his insurance but didn't get an offer! Scary but it did focus his mind very sharply on his AH exams...... :tongue:

Thank you! My offer is from Lincoln. Need to get 2 As at advance higher in Maths and Chemistry.
My application status has gone blank after saying "pending" for so many months!!! What does this mean? Are they currently processing their decision? I never thought it would go blank!
Original post by whylime
Thank you! My offer is from Lincoln. Need to get 2 As at advance higher in Maths and Chemistry.

Small world! His offer was AA, to include Chem, for Med. Lincoln only takes about 90 undergrads a year, so it is very welcoming - everybody gets to know everybody very quickly, everybody lives in, there are only a few students taking each subject so you make a wide range of friends outside your subject area - and you get Academic "parents" who are 2nd yrs to show you round (the best bars, kebab vans and clubs :rolleyes: !). Feel free to pm me if you want specific info - son is 2nd year so you may well know him soon....
I got an offer!!!!!!!!!!!!! :party2::party::party2::party:
Original post by 1platinum
I got an offer!!!!!!!!!!!!! :party2::party::party2::party:

Congratulations! What's the subject and the requirements?
Just received my offer as well, was just an update of track for me, MSci in Theoretical Physics. Hunting for a hint to what grades I need, but it is good news!

AAA, so not a problem at all, looks like I'm going home! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Charlesworth
Congratulations! What's the subject and the requirements?

Geology. I need AAA. :smile:
Now I have my offer, I'm trying to sort out a basic idea of which outside modules I'd like to take in the first year. Is there somewhere on the Edi website that I can timetable to see which modules have overlaps? I'll go check the sticky thread again. Thanks!

EDIT: Found Timetab after reading the sticky properly, so you can ignore this one safely. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2052
hurry up biology :frown:
Original post by Ocarinaoftime
Sure am :P I'm going for Archaeology! Yourself? :biggrin:

ooooooooooooh :smile: Linguistics and Philosophy!
My English teacher asked me to explain the link today, and i just said 'urmmmmmmmmmmm...........' ahahahah :smile:
Original post by Firecrackerchild
ooooooooooooh :smile: Linguistics and Philosophy!
My English teacher asked me to explain the link today, and i just said 'urmmmmmmmmmmm...........' ahahahah :smile:

Haha! Tell her it keeps your options open! :P both Linguistics and Philosophy sound really interesting! Are you putting Edinburgh as your first choice? I'm really excited for this open day coming up, I go to Glasgow far more than Edinburgh so it'll be great to see more of Edinburgh city and the uni. :biggrin:
Original post by Ocarinaoftime
Haha! Tell her it keeps your options open! :P both Linguistics and Philosophy sound really interesting! Are you putting Edinburgh as your first choice? I'm really excited for this open day coming up, I go to Glasgow far more than Edinburgh so it'll be great to see more of Edinburgh city and the uni. :biggrin:

aha! This is true! I will :smile:

I'm not sure - I loved York, and I'm going there the week after, so I'll be able to properly compare them, but Edinburgh, being an MA and it's low offer are appealing........ but I know nothing about the city or university.

Gosh I never go - I live in the south of England!

Have you looked at accommodation? I was looking at it, and I understood it to be that its catered for halls, and then there are houses?! I got confused!
Original post by Firecrackerchild
aha! This is true! I will :smile:

I'm not sure - I loved York, and I'm going there the week after, so I'll be able to properly compare them, but Edinburgh, being an MA and it's low offer are appealing........ but I know nothing about the city or university.

Gosh I never go - I live in the south of England!

Have you looked at accommodation? I was looking at it, and I understood it to be that its catered for halls, and then there are houses?! I got confused!

Ahh I see, yes that's a good idea! I love Edinburgh city, the architecture is beautiful and I love the atmosphere, you'll soon see for yourself though! You should definitely go exploring around the city after the open day too and familiarise yourself :smile:

I went to the Science and Engineering day with my friend and we got to see the Pollock halls which is the catered area, from what I gather it's like a bunch of houses make up Pollock halls, it's not just one building I don't think, although all of these houses are together? :s-smilie: I haven't looked too much into that as I'm gonna go for self-catered - too fussy when it comes to food! :P
Rejected for History with A*A*A* predictions, AAAA last year, and an EPQ. So gutted. I fell in love with Edinburgh last year at their open day and have been hoping on hope and wishing so hard for so long.

I hope others had better luck :frown:
Original post by Grimalkin
Rejected for History with A*A*A* predictions, AAAA last year, and an EPQ. So gutted. I fell in love with Edinburgh last year at their open day and have been hoping on hope and wishing so hard for so long.

I hope others had better luck :frown:

That sucks! They often say that they turn to PS for some of the heavily subscribed subjects, I would request feedback (unless you already have/they already gave it to you). Just bad luck =/ Sorry!
Original post by Oromis263
That sucks! They often say that they turn to PS for some of the heavily subscribed subjects, I would request feedback (unless you already have/they already gave it to you). Just bad luck =/ Sorry!

My PS wasn't dazzlingly written, but it did include a lot of stuff I though would be good; I'm bilingual, which I used to go to Peru (after working for a year to save the money) and do an EPQ on independent research. I also attended plenty of taster lectures, read plenty of books, wrote my opinions of the books with analysis, did a history based work experience, and do D of E Gold.

I dunno, maybe I wrote it too flatly.

Oh, and thanks, I did ask for feedback, but I only heard back from them today, so I guess it'll take a while.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending