The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

The "I've applied to Edinburgh for 2012 entry" chat thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by elebuughoti
This really, really worries me. The fact that everyone else I know of who has applied to my programme heard back ages ago makes me think there's very little chance that they have places left I might be accepted to, especially since I never got the 10 April email in the first place. I emailed CHSS a week ago and I still haven't heard from them. I'm going to try phoning them tomorrow. I really am worried I was not accepted and I've just not been informed this is the case yet somehow.

You should definitely give them a call. Hopefully you'll have people as nice as who I got to talk to, they'll tell you exactly what's going on and keep you reassured. Of course, they can't make any promises about what's going to happen, but at least you'll have a clearer understanding of what exactly is going on. I wish you the best of luck though, hopefully they'll tell you exactly what's going on with your application, but if it's still pending then I wouldn't worry too much about it as there are others in a similar situation. You could also be involved with another department, and they didn't send out that e-mail.. which department have you applied to?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by riversandroads93
You should definitely give them a call. Hopefully you'll have people as nice as who I got to talk to, they'll tell you exactly what's going on and keep you reassured. Of course, they can't make any promises about what's going to happen, but at least you'll have a clearer understanding of what exactly is going on. I wish you the best of luck though, hopefully they'll tell you exactly what's going on with your application, but if it's still pending then I wouldn't worry too much about it as there are others in a similar situation. You could also be involved with another department, and they didn't send out that e-mail.. which department have you applied to?

Hi, thanks so much for your reply. <3

It's the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, for Linguistics. I emailed them about a week ago and I just sent another today to one of the admissions officers I had had previous email contact with. I want to try to give them a call tomorrow; I missed them today. It's making me crazy that it's just stuck on Pending, and meanwhile all these people got this email update that I've not seen myself. So very worried!
Original post by RobertoStenhausen
I'm finding maths okay actually, better than I thought. Stuggling with the no formula sheet though! I'm crashing admin too, my practical is okay but it's my theory that's my strongest part. I think it's because I've done business management. I got a B in my maths and admin which I was very pleased with. Aw haha! You're becoming popular!

What about you? :smile:

Yeah at first I heard everyone in year above saying dont take maths but i knew i was gonna take it anyway and it's actually alright and yeah so many formulas to remember! Yeah in my prelim i did best in theory like you said a lot of it ive done in business before so theory should be ok :smile: omg lol same! B in maths and admin! I know right :P Btw you stay in Ed already or will you be living in halls?
Original post by elebuughoti
Hi, thanks so much for your reply. <3

It's the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, for Linguistics. I emailed them about a week ago and I just sent another today to one of the admissions officers I had had previous email contact with. I want to try to give them a call tomorrow; I missed them today. It's making me crazy that it's just stuck on Pending, and meanwhile all these people got this email update that I've not seen myself. So very worried!

I wouldn't be too alarmed if I were you, because I'm sure they must have a lot of applicants in that department too! You could even be one of the lucky ones who could be hearing back this week or something if they didn't send out that e-mail. But who knows. I'd definitely give them a call though, e-mailing tends to be pretty useless with some universities as I've learnt, unless it's something pretty urgent they take their time to reply usually. Don't worry though, it's tested my patience waiting all this time, especially after being told I'll know by tomorrow (which seems extremely unlikely now) so at least I can sympathise with you on waiting this long. I know it's not nice, but hopefully we'll both hear good news by the end of this! :smile:
Original post by riversandroads93
I wouldn't be too alarmed if I were you, because I'm sure they must have a lot of applicants in that department too! You could even be one of the lucky ones who could be hearing back this week or something if they didn't send out that e-mail. But who knows. I'd definitely give them a call though, e-mailing tends to be pretty useless with some universities as I've learnt, unless it's something pretty urgent they take their time to reply usually. Don't worry though, it's tested my patience waiting all this time, especially after being told I'll know by tomorrow (which seems extremely unlikely now) so at least I can sympathise with you on waiting this long. I know it's not nice, but hopefully we'll both hear good news by the end of this! :smile:

That's good to hear! It just seems so late in the game, ahaha. ^^;
Original post by magenta1
Yeah at first I heard everyone in year above saying dont take maths but i knew i was gonna take it anyway and it's actually alright and yeah so many formulas to remember! Yeah in my prelim i did best in theory like you said a lot of it ive done in business before so theory should be ok :smile: omg lol same! B in maths and admin! I know right :P Btw you stay in Ed already or will you be living in halls?

Omg that's so weird! We are doing two of the same subjects and got the same grades in them. I live just outside Edinburgh but I'm hoping to move into halls.

What about you, do you live in Glasgow or will you be staying in halls? :smile:
Reply 3006
anyone in edinburgh tomorrow? BIOLOGY KIDDAS :biggrin:
Original post by ellathecat
have i understood this correctly? they've basically sent all their offers already, but they haven't rejected us because we're all borderline applicants, and so when an offer-holder declines their place they'll give it to one of us?

so we can only be sure of one thing, and that's more waiting yayyyy.....

That's how I see it, everyone that is still waiting to hear (including myself) I think will be on a waiting list and as people reject Edinburgh they'll let whoever is at the top of there list know. So in short yeah more waiting :frown:
I am willing to bet that the emails won't go out until the end of office hours, in fact it hitting the send button on the email will probably be the last thing the admin team do before turning the light out and locking up for the night.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm thinking about emailing Edinburgh about not hearing back yet. Not sure if there is much point as they will probably tell me something that has already been posted here.

But anyway, if I do, I don't know who/ where to email. I applied for economics and maths, so it's 2 different departments....

Any ideas?

Many thanks
Original post by annabelisme
I'm thinking about emailing Edinburgh about not hearing back yet. Not sure if there is much point as they will probably tell me something that has already been posted here.

But anyway, if I do, I don't know who/ where to email. I applied for economics and maths, so it's 2 different departments....

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Have you thought about emailing an identical email to both departments
[email protected] +44 131 650 5060
[email protected] +44 (0)131 650 8361

hope this helps
have i understood this correctly? they've basically sent all their offers already, but they haven't rejected us because we're all borderline applicants, and so when an offer-holder declines their place they'll give it to one of us?

that's exactly what I was thinking, we're going to be waiting for a long time I think, could even stretch all the way until May.. which is annoying because if I do get good news from there, I would like to visit before firming my universities, so it means I probably won't make any decisions till late May / June time.
Original post by Shomberlon
That's how I see it, everyone that is still waiting to hear (including myself) I think will be on a waiting list and as people reject Edinburgh they'll let whoever is at the top of there list know. So in short yeah more waiting :frown:

A lot of universities do this but Edinburgh are one of the few I've seen who are openly telling applicants that this is what they're doing which is quite interesting.

Basically if people had all of their offers by 31st March they have until early May to make their decisions. Therefore, by this stage of the game universities are starting to get a very good idea of how many UF/CF and CI people they've got which means they can then play with their numbers some more and make offers in places where they're lacking students. However, if more people than expected have firmed Edinburgh then there will be less offers to make to the remaining students.

What I don't understand is why they sent out emails to applicants saying that you'd get replies by the end of February when that was nothing more than a lie. They've NEVER managed to get their replies out that quick so why they thought this year would be different I don't know as then it has set everyone on tenter hooks for the last 6 weeks with them telling you they'll reply in March, then sending out this email, then missing that date of 10th April. Its really really unfair and very bad management of applicant expectations - if they weren't going to be replying to all applicants until the end of April then they should have just left it as that (as they do every year) as that sets the standard that you may have to wait until May which is the UCAS deadline. Once you start sending out optimistic emails it gives people false hope that they'll get a reply soon and that's unfair when its quite obvious from past history that it isn't going to happen.
Original post by oxymoronic
A lot of universities do this but Edinburgh are one of the few I've seen who are openly telling applicants that this is what they're doing which is quite interesting.

Basically if people had all of their offers by 31st March they have until early May to make their decisions. Therefore, by this stage of the game universities are starting to get a very good idea of how many UF/CF and CI people they've got which means they can then play with their numbers some more and make offers in places where they're lacking students. However, if more people than expected have firmed Edinburgh then there will be less offers to make to the remaining students.

What I don't understand is why they sent out emails to applicants saying that you'd get replies by the end of February when that was nothing more than a lie. They've NEVER managed to get their replies out that quick so why they thought this year would be different I don't know as then it has set everyone on tenter hooks for the last 6 weeks with them telling you they'll reply in March, then sending out this email, then missing that date of 10th April. Its really really unfair and very bad management of applicant expectations - if they weren't going to be replying to all applicants until the end of April then they should have just left it as that (as they do every year) as that sets the standard that you may have to wait until May which is the UCAS deadline. Once you start sending out optimistic emails it gives people false hope that they'll get a reply soon and that's unfair when its quite obvious from past history that it isn't going to happen.

I'm not sure why they've chosen to do this either, it only really makes the university look bad, If it wasn't for the fact my wife is going to do her masters at Edinburgh (hence my desperation to also go) I would have cancelled my application and firmed York and had Glasgow as my insurance.
Reply 3013
Original post by Edrer
Hi! Just to update you, I got a conditionali for AI&CS about 2 days ago. I'm still over the moon (even though they ask me a lot: 100/100 in my Diploma...)!
Also, I'm still waiting for a reply regarding EE&CS, but it doesn't really matter (Well, an Unconditional would be very, very nice from them :biggrin: ).
Now, I have to choose a self-catered flat and I'm wondering if there's a place which may be better for Informatics people. Do you have any advice?

I wasn't in self-catered so can't really offer advice on this. There's lots of informatics people around and as someone has stated you'll meet lots of people in Appleton. If you have any general questions about anything, feel free to message me :smile:.
Just got this. lol

Application to University of Edinburgh

Dear ANNABEL
Thank you for your application to the University of Edinburgh.
As we explained in the email we sent in March, this year the College of Humanities and Social Science is making offers in stages. Your academic qualifications, personal statement and reference constitute a strong application and I would like to assure you that it is still under active consideration.
We will be in touch with you no later than 15 May with an update on the status of your application.
Please note that because you did not receive all your decisions by 31 March, you have until 7 June to reply to any offers through UCAS Track.

At least we have longer to reply to offers... And there is a final deadline!

EDIT: They just sent another email through saying the 10th may instead of the 15th
(edited 12 years ago)
Just got a new email through

As we explained in the email we sent in March, this year the College of Humanities and Social Science is making offers in stages. Your academic qualifications, personal statement and reference constitute a strong application and I would like to assure you that it is still under active consideration.

We will be in touch with you no later than 15 May with an update on the status of your application

I knew they'd do this, getting a little angry now!
Original post by annabelisme

Dear ANNABEL
We will be in touch with you no later than 15 May with an update on the status of your application.
Please note that because you did not receive all your decisions by 31 March, you have until 7 June to reply to any offers through UCAS Track.

At least we have longer to reply to offers... And there is a final deadline!

They can't wait until the 15th May to reply to you.

The UCAS deadline (an actual one) is on 10th May and if they don't reply by this date then UCAS will reject you automatically.
They're right on the 7th June note, but not on the 15th May aspect.

Edinburgh are just getting worse and worse :frown:
You guys should reply to them and say that they've got to reply to you by 10th May as this is a deadline set by UCAS. They will know this but its just stupid to see that they can't even double check information before sending it to applicants....

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/importantdates
Reply 3017
This email is a heartbreaker! I have no clue what to do now. I need to know what my offer conditions would be! I graduate 15 May! This is so disappointing!
I'm sure that I'll get that e-mail soon. I want to wait until the deadline they give as it is my first choice but I feel like they're just messing us about. We get an e-mail three weeks ago telling us that we're to wait until today to get an update and then it turns out that update is that we're still waiting - and now its for an extra five weeks!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by oxymoronic
They can't wait until the 15th May to reply to you.

The UCAS deadline (an actual one) is on 10th May and if they don't reply by this date then UCAS will reject you automatically.
They're right on the 7th June note, but not on the 15th May aspect.

Edinburgh are just getting worse and worse :frown:
You guys should reply to them and say that they've got to reply to you by 10th May as this is a deadline set by UCAS. They will know this but its just stupid to see that they can't even double check information before sending it to applicants....

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/importantdates

Just got an amendment email stating the 10th NOT the 15th. It is getting to the point now where I'm not totally sure I want to go to a university that cant organize itself from the start

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending