The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

The "I've applied to Edinburgh for 2012 entry" chat thread

Scroll to see replies

In need of some advice! I put KCL as my firm choice and Edinburgh as my insurance, yet a fortnight or so ago decided I wanted to go to Edinburgh instead. I contacted admissions and they said they were unable to accept me (unsure as to why). I exceed my offer for King's and achieved A*A*AA, 1 mark off another A* in my Spanish which is being re-marked. Should I try contact Edinburgh again in the hope my results will coax them a bit? Otherwise, a gap year may be on the cards!
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by rckilduff
In need of some advice! I put KCL as my firm choice and Edinburgh as my insurance, yet a fortnight or so ago decided I wanted to go to Edinburgh instead. I contacted admissions and they said they were unable to accept me (unsure as to why). I exceed my offer for King's and achieved A*A*AA, 1 mark off another A* in my Spanish which is being re-marked. Should I try contact Edinburgh again in the hope my results will coax them a bit? Otherwise, a gap year may be on the cards!

Once your firm has accepted you, your insurance place disappears, so they cannot take you, even if you exceed your offer, if they have no places available.
Original post by sillehcaptcha
well done! that's exactly what I got, however I was 4 marks off with the B, I'm intrigued to know how far you were off with the B...
Irritating however because I was at an A for the last 2 years and then dropped...

I was one UMS mark off of the A! (in History) so so upset with that, literally the smallest margin I could've missed out on my offer by though! (it's like a third of a paper exam mark). My fault I guess, had a good A at AS, and then almost full marks for the coursework element of A2, just the final exam that I must have messed up on! (may try for a re-mark) and for it I had to spend like 48 hours worrying myself into the ground! :frown: although my college also made us do 4 A levels instead of 3, so I ended up getting AABB, maybe another influencing factor for letting me in? Must have had at least something to do with how close I was to meeting my offer though.
(edited 11 years ago)
I have no idea how I'll live MyEd email for four years. It makes me want to cry.
Reply 3644
Original post by twinlensreflex
I have no idea how I'll live MyEd email for four years. It makes me want to cry.

I know, right? Was so excited with all the new mails coming in (about changed exam venues, etc) and I'm only starting this September (hopefully). Then it hit. The mail interface sucks.
Original post by py16
I know, right? Was so excited with all the new mails coming in (about changed exam venues, etc) and I'm only starting this September (hopefully). Then it hit. The mail interface sucks.

Jealous of all your mail :eek: I've only had the registry one :frown:
Reply 3646
Jealous of all your mail :eek: I've only had the registry one :frown:

The matriculation one eh? Still waiting on my visa for that. Have you received the welcome packet yet?
Original post by py16
The matriculation one eh? Still waiting on my visa for that. Have you received the welcome packet yet?

Yeah, once the Registry wakes up I should be matriculated. I'm hoping it'll come in the coming week, so fingers crossed. Hope your visa hurries up! :smile: Gotta be a pain to wait for that as well.
Yey :biggrin: Finally got my unconditional!! Good luck to you who are still waiting!
Original post by FreyaAmy:)
I was one UMS mark off of the A! (in History) so so upset with that, literally the smallest margin I could've missed out on my offer by though! (it's like a third of a paper exam mark). My fault I guess, had a good A at AS, and then almost full marks for the coursework element of A2, just the final exam that I must have messed up on! (may try for a re-mark) and for it I had to spend like 48 hours worrying myself into the ground! :frown: although my college also made us do 4 A levels instead of 3, so I ended up getting AABB, maybe another influencing factor for letting me in? Must have had at least something to do with how close I was to meeting my offer though.

Ahh I know how that feels, I was one mark off the A in Maths last year, which made me end up with ABB, which obviously doesn't look as good as AAB...
Yeah I got a U in my Physics EMPA which really caught me off guard... aced the written test after it but ended up with a B, not cool
But yeah as you said, I guess it's the small margin that got us offers I guess or the whole magic "AAB" entry grades this year
Reply 3650
Yeah, once the Registry wakes up I should be matriculated. I'm hoping it'll come in the coming week, so fingers crossed. Hope your visa hurries up! :smile: Gotta be a pain to wait for that as well.

15 working days :tongue:. If it's refused over a tiny detail I'm going to have trouble since course starts 17th September.

About the student ID form that comes with the welcome letter, do you know whether it's available online or something? I've looked but no luck. At this rate things like this are going to keep me from enjoying fresher's week :tongue:.

The interface of sms hasn't changed since at least 2006.
Original post by oxymoronic
The interface of sms hasn't changed since at least 2006.

I hope it gets POP3 or at least IMAP functionality pretty soon, although there are security sacrifices to be made. It'd make checking my email so much easier.
Reply 3653
Hi guys! Was wondering about the move in date, because freshers week starts on Saturday 8th September, so when will most people actually be moving into their accommodation? Will most people arrive on Saturday or can you arrive anytime during that weekend?
Original post by Don John
I hope it gets POP3 or at least IMAP functionality pretty soon, although there are security sacrifices to be made. It'd make checking my email so much easier.

I've been downloading my university emails as IMAP since 2007...
Reply 3655
Original post by olive325
Hi guys! Was wondering about the move in date, because freshers week starts on Saturday 8th September, so when will most people actually be moving into their accommodation? Will most people arrive on Saturday or can you arrive anytime during that weekend?

I think the Pollock halls accommodation is available starting September 8; they have the welcoming programs on 8 and 9. Arrive before that and I read somewhere that you'd have to stay elsewhere (not uni accommodation).

Edit: http://www.ed.ac.uk/staff-students/students/new-students/accommodation/moving-in
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by olive325

You can arrive anytime you like from September 8th. Most move in on the Saturday and Sunday - I'd say it's a pretty even split though. We were only 50 or 60% full on Saturday evening last year.
Original post by nearlyheadlessian

Original post by oxymoronic

I thought you two would be the best to ask. I'm really stuck at the moment, and I'm considering taking a gap year both to reapply to university and to get some experience/travel. However, I've got an unconditional firm to Edi. Would withdrawing now possibly affect my reapplication next year, or do they perhaps operate a 'black list' of sorts (to your knowledge)? I really love Edinburgh, but I've been recommended to take another try to another university, and I want to do that. =/ This feeling sucks, I can't choose! I know it's so late on.
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
I've been downloading my university emails as IMAP since 2007...

:eek: BURN THE WITCH
Original post by Oromis263
I thought you two would be the best to ask. I'm really stuck at the moment, and I'm considering taking a gap year both to reapply to university and to get some experience/travel. However, I've got an unconditional firm to Edi. Would withdrawing now possibly affect my reapplication next year, or do they perhaps operate a 'black list' of sorts (to your knowledge)? I really love Edinburgh, but I've been recommended to take another try to another university, and I want to do that. =/ This feeling sucks, I can't choose! I know it's so late on.

No, withdrawing now and then reapplying wouldn't affect an application next year.
Plenty of people reapply for a variety of reasons, its really not an issue. You can defer your Edinburgh place if you'd like to go there next year but if you then decide to reapply you'd lose your Edinburgh offer. If you're unsure it might be worth speaking to them to defer as then you've got until January to decide if you want to reapply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending