The Student Room Group

TSR Squash

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Mr Bee
Can only play on Saturdays as it is. For only an hour and a half :frown: I got nobody to play :frown:

Do you guys think I should join league? I would be playing men, and I am only 14. I really want to :P

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad

Depends how good you are. Can you not find a low level club who will give you some friendlies?
I hate only being able to play an hour and half a week :frown: Should I join the men's league even though I am 14 and will get beaten?

Original post by py0alb
Depends how good you are. Can you not find a low level club who will give you some friendlies?

My coaches are ex-England players and they do actually set up friendlies against local schools for us every so often. I mentioned that they are ex-England players because Carolyne, one of the coaches, said to me a while ago that I should join mens league. She did however say, "He would probably get beaten quite a lot, but he would beat some of the other, less able players. He will also even have more knowledge of the game than the occasional player."

I am unsure what to do :\

Original post by Mr Bee
My coaches are ex-England players and they do actually set up friendlies against local schools for us every so often. I mentioned that they are ex-England players because Carolyne, one of the coaches, said to me a while ago that I should join mens league. She did however say, "He would probably get beaten quite a lot, but he would beat some of the other, less able players. He will also even have more knowledge of the game than the occasional player."

I am unsure what to do :\

Joining league will be effective training. You will learn how oponents play, how they use tricks e.t.c and get the experience of combating these problems.

I myself played alot of matches with many oponents, and in the end I have learned alot in this young age. And I can end up beating any age group, the main thing is about practice, practice makes you perfect.

by joining the league, you will be commited to squash and you will do your best to play it. And thats how your skills will improve alot. I am sure.
Original post by UserInvalid
Joining league will be effective training. You will learn how oponents play, how they use tricks e.t.c and get the experience of combating these problems.

I myself played alot of matches with many oponents, and in the end I have learned alot in this young age. And I can end up beating any age group, the main thing is about practice, practice makes you perfect.

by joining the league, you will be commited to squash and you will do your best to play it. And thats how your skills will improve alot. I am sure.

Yeah, as it is I will play probably 2 games a week. But only singular matches :frown:

Had squash today =D

Reply 186
Original post by Mr Bee
Had squash today =D

Cool, I played squash as well.

Sent from le me via HTC Desire S
Reply 187
Now I'm home from uni, squash is about to become a lot less regular :frown: Going to try to play with my friend at the Birmingham Uni courts, and look at places nearer to me too...
Original post by tface
Now I'm home from uni, squash is about to become a lot less regular :frown: Going to try to play with my friend at the Birmingham Uni courts, and look at places nearer to me too...

Ahh. Hope you can play :smile:

Original post by Tukmyster
Cool, I played squash as well.

How did you do?

Reply 190
Original post by Mr Bee
How did you do?

Well that day the squash club wasn't on so I was just practicing on my own. My sister came & I played her but she's not great so I thrashed her ;p

Well that day the squash club wasn't on so I was just practicing on my own. My sister came & I played her but she's not great so I thrashed her ;p

Ah! Why what would you do normally?

Does anyone here play county squash or has played county?

How did you find it?
And how did you get noticed?

Reply 193
Original post by Mr Bee
Ah! Why what would you do normally?

Well usually on Saturdays I get coached with 4 other people. We play games afterwards and stuff, it's awesome.
I've never played county though.

Well usually on Saturdays I get coached with 4 other people. We play games afterwards and stuff, it's awesome.
I've never played county though.

Ah! Sounds good :smile: I kind of do the same. It's a pound for an hour and 20 minutes. Quite a few people go each week but it varies each week. I remember last year, on Christmas eve, it was only me and another. We got a proper lesson for £1 when they are normally £14. Anyway, yeah, the people are divided into 3 groups. Top, middle and beginners. I'm normally in top and we play 3 quarters, a little coaching and games. It's great :biggrin:

Reply 195
Original post by Mr Bee
Ah! Sounds good :smile: I kind of do the same. It's a pound for an hour and 20 minutes. Quite a few people go each week but it varies each week. I remember last year, on Christmas eve, it was only me and another. We got a proper lesson for £1 when they are normally £14. Anyway, yeah, the people are divided into 3 groups. Top, middle and beginners. I'm normally in top and we play 3 quarters, a little coaching and games. It's great :biggrin:

Woah..that cheap! I pay £65 for 11 weeks (11 saturdays) which usually should be for 1 hour 30 mins but my coach let's me play an hour extra in the juniors class before the adult class starts. So that's pretty good, the juniors give me good games as well. Well I mostly play with this one guy who gives me a good game.

Reply 196
Is 3 quarters what we call king of the court? You line up in one side of the court to serve and you just play the ball at the front or the other side of the court, winner keeps playing?

Is 3 quarters what we call king of the court? You line up in one side of the court to serve and you just play the ball at the front or the other side of the court, winner keeps playing?

Yeah, that's it. But you only use 3 quarters of the court :wink:

Woah..that cheap! I pay £65 for 11 weeks (11 saturdays) which usually should be for 1 hour 30 mins but my coach let's me play an hour extra in the juniors class before the adult class starts. So that's pretty good, the juniors give me good games as well. Well I mostly play with this one guy who gives me a good game.

Haha! Yeah, it's juniors :P Aye, definitely cheap. But for a 1 to 1 lessons, it's £14 :P

Reply 199
Original post by Mr Bee
Yeah, that's it. But you only use 3 quarters of the court :wink:

Yea that's what we do.
3 years ago I was in the juniors class - the oldest one..and I was the worst player as that's when I started playing (at 16) then a year later I moved to the adults and slowly I got better. Now Im pretty much the best person there atm apart from the coach who always beats me. It's ridiculous...she always plays tricks that I fall for.

Quick Reply

Latest