The Student Room Group

TSR Squash

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr Bee
Turns out I don't think I will be able to have a solo training - Haven't got a key pass for the Squash Entrance.

You should still be able to get in a bit of training before the match (worst case scenario).

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Krish4791
You should still be able to get in a bit of training before the match (worst case scenario).

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Yeah - I have decided to just go to the nearest Sport Centre on Wednesday evening. Get in 40 Minutes of shot after shot drills. Then on Friday - Lesson, Saturday - Three quarters mostly with a couple of games. Then match on Sunday! I think it is a minimum of 2 games so all is well!
I wish you the best of luck with your game as well! I hope you win :smile:
Original post by Mr Bee
I wish you the best of luck with your game as well! I hope you win :smile:

Thanks! My draw looks quite friendly until the semis, where I might meet Stefan, the No. 3 seed, and if I win that, I'll set up a final with my main rival and the No. 2 - his name's Anand:smile:
Thanks! My draw looks quite friendly until the semis, where I might meet Stefan, the No. 3 seed, and if I win that, I'll set up a final with my main rival and the No. 2 - his name's Anand:smile:

What do you take with you?
Bumpp

Oh yes, I meant to ask - How do I go about entering the Squash Season? I'm 15 so would I be in the Mens?
Original post by Mr Bee
Oh yes, I meant to ask - How do I go about entering the Squash Season? I'm 15 so would I be in the Mens?

In terms of equipment, I carry three rackets, two of which are the Dunlop Hot Melt Pro, which cost £105 each when I bought them + water bottles (the usual sports stuff).
To enter a full "squash season" as such, you'll need to become a member of a club in the local area. The best way to do this is via university, but for you atm I'd recommend the first method. In London, the minimum membership age is 16, so you may have to wait till the 2014 season.
In answer to your last question - it depends. There are Junior U15 and U17 teams, so I'd imagine that you'd need to be 17 to be in the Men's in London - not so sure about other parts of the UK.
At my club, as I said before most of us worked together to create this specialized squash tour, which enables us to host and play tournaments abroad. It requires a fair amount of cash and contacts!

Hope this answers your questions.
In terms of equipment, I carry three rackets, two of which are the Dunlop Hot Melt Pro, which cost £105 each when I bought them + water bottles (the usual sports stuff).
To enter a full "squash season" as such, you'll need to become a member of a club in the local area. The best way to do this is via university, but for you atm I'd recommend the first method. In London, the minimum membership age is 16, so you may have to wait till the 2014 season.
In answer to your last question - it depends. There are Junior U15 and U17 teams, so I'd imagine that you'd need to be 17 to be in the Men's in London - not so sure about other parts of the UK.
At my club, as I said before most of us worked together to create this specialized squash tour, which enables us to host and play tournaments abroad. It requires a fair amount of cash and contacts!

Hope this answers your questions.

I think my coaches are setting up a junior team so - Win win!

I take Dunlop Aerogel 4D Elite, Gead Youtek Xenon 135, Spare grip, 5 Balls (Never paid for one) Drinks :smile:
Original post by Mr Bee
I think my coaches are setting up a junior team so - Win win!

I take Dunlop Aerogel 4D Elite, Gead Youtek Xenon 135, Spare grip, 5 Balls (Never paid for one) Drinks :smile:

Oh yes, forgot to mention the balls - I think I've got 3 double yellows, one single yellow and one racket ball for slower court practice. I'll take a spare grip with me tomorrow as well as stabilising wrist bands. That should make me look "pro" enough for a defending champion!
Oh yes, forgot to mention the balls - I think I've got 3 double yellows, one single yellow and one racket ball for slower court practice. I'll take a spare grip with me tomorrow as well as stabilising wrist bands. That should make me look "pro" enough for a defending champion!

Haha - What do you mean by stabilising wristbands?
Original post by Mr Bee
Haha - What do you mean by stabilising wristbands?

They're kinda like wrist supports which allow controlled extensions and wrist rotation, i.e. they prevent me from unnecessarily injuring myself when attempting a backhand flick or something like that :P

I also finished my first round match this afternoon! Won 11-2, 11-2, 11-1 against this guy called George James.
They're kinda like wrist supports which allow controlled extensions and wrist rotation, i.e. they prevent me from unnecessarily injuring myself when attempting a backhand flick or something like that :P

I also finished my first round match this afternoon! Won 11-2, 11-2, 11-1 against this guy called George James.

WELL DONE! May I ask how much they are? These wrist supports and do they work?
Original post by Mr Bee
WELL DONE! May I ask how much they are? These wrist supports and do they work?

Check out something like the Vulcan Wrist Support if you're really interested. They are very effect and help you to play smoothly, and prices tend to range from £7 up to £16.

I've got my Round 2 match at 6pm against Jeiger Gonzalez. My first opponent must have had an off day - he was constantly making errors off the backhand so it was easy to feed on that.
Check out something like the Vulcan Wrist Support if you're really interested. They are very effect and help you to play smoothly, and prices tend to range from £7 up to £16.

I've got my Round 2 match at 6pm against Jeiger Gonzalez. My first opponent must have had an off day - he was constantly making errors off the backhand so it was easy to feed on that.

You mean like a support then! I don't need anything like that, my wrists don't seem to get too much damage at the moment :smile:

Good luck in that too!
Done it!
through to the 3rd round tomorrow - 11-6, 11-9, 11-0!
Looks like the competition's pretty fierce actually - all of the top 32 seeds are through; there have been no upsets whatsoever so far!
Anyone watch the World Series Finals at the weekend? Shabana's squash was insane, including a volley smash into the nick from about a foot away from the front wall when Matthew had played a boast. Absolutely brilliant.
Original post by Loat
Anyone watch the World Series Finals at the weekend? Shabana's squash was insane, including a volley smash into the nick from about a foot away from the front wall when Matthew had played a boast. Absolutely brilliant.

Great game and a deserved victory for Shabana. He took time to get into the match, but once he was in, Matthew couldn't really do much about it.
Done it!
through to the 3rd round tomorrow - 11-6, 11-9, 11-0!
Looks like the competition's pretty fierce actually - all of the top 32 seeds are through; there have been no upsets whatsoever so far!

Well done buddy! Hope you win :smile:
I had my first Solo Training session this evening. It's good just playing shot after shot with plenty of variations. Need to do it more after I actually become a member at my club :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest