The Student Room Group

How slow does your internet have to be before you can complain?

Right now, on a 30mg connection we are getting 3-6mb/s download speed, which is normal for this time for us.
The highest i have ever seen is 20 m/bs and i've only seen that a few times.

A engineer came round, 'tweaked a few things' in the router(which did nothing). Said he could do nothing else. Said it is because they are ober subscribed in the area and started rambling about peak times. Ignoring the fact i told them we never get anything higher than 20 during times such as 1am-4am, with the normal speed being 10-15.
Plus ping is always 60+ which sucks :frown:

So.. anyone any clue as to if we are allowed to complain? Get something done.. if anything can be done?
Original post by Tommyjw

Original post by Tommyjw
Right now, on a 30mg connection we are getting 3-6mb/s download speed, which is normal for this time for us.

A engineer came round, 'tweaked a few things' in the router(which did nothing). Said he could do nothing else. Said it is because they are ober subscribed in the area and started rambling about peak times. Ignoring the fact i told them we never get anything higher than 20 during times such as 1am-4am, with the normal speed being 10-15.

So.. anyone any clue as to if we are allowed to complain? Get something done.. if anything can be done?

You are always allowed to complain, you're their customer! If they don't like it, then it's time to leave them. Are you on fibre optics or copper telephone lines?
Reply 2
Original post by MuffinMonster
You are always allowed to complain, you're their customer! If they don't like it, then it's time to leave them. Are you on fibre optics or copper telephone lines?

Fibre optics apparently :P.

I know we are allowed to complain.. but i just want to complain and actually have something done about it rather than get the usual 'we value your opinions' and nothing else :rolleyes:.
Reply 3
I wouldn't worry too much until you're getting sub 1MB/s. At one point we had the same speed as dial up at home.
Then after BT came and fixed the lines we get maybe 2MB/s which is good enough for general use.
Go to another company if problems continue. End of topic :/
I had 0.19Mb download speed & ping of ~1600.

At that point I complained, then switched when they wouldn't do anything about it (****in' Plusnet :angry:)
Reply 6
Original post by blueray
Go to another company if problems continue. End of topic :/

Easier said then done when that would mean having to go through our agency, and then the landlord, and back through. I highly doubt it would be that easy to even get our landlord to change it as well.
Original post by Tommyjw

Original post by Tommyjw
Fibre optics apparently :P.

I know we are allowed to complain.. but i just want to complain and actually have something done about it rather than get the usual 'we value your opinions' and nothing else :rolleyes:.

Then you should be getting the 30mbs! I don't know if you know this but internet providers sell you internet at a different unit than the one it's usually measured in. Also, Virgin (which I assume is the company) has a pretty tough Fair usage cap, of which the speed is decresed by 75% after a certain amount downloaded.
Reply 8
We were paying for an "up to 20Mb" connection, and getting about 4 Mbps (when it wasn't cutting off) whilst living 400m from the exchange. Complained constantly for about a month. Finally we got our 5th engineer round who replaced the line into the flat, which it turned out was damaged and kept shorting out (none of the other engineers had noticed!). After that was sorted we were still only getting 5/6 Mbps so phoned up once more, they had put a cap on the line to stabilise it whilst it was being temperamental. Fair enough. That's gone and now we average 12 Mbps; suits me fine!

So if I were you, I'd keep complaining until you are happy. If I'd believed everything the first engineer said, we'd have got nowhere. In fact, he basically accused me of lying and said there was nothing wrong with the line having had it cut out 500 times in 24 hours... It does sound like there is something wrong with yours, keep complaining. You are the customer and are not getting the service you pay for. If they claim not to be able to get it up to a reasonable level of service then try to haggle down your price to something that matches the level of service. Point out what people on other suppliers are paying for the speed they receive. If they won't budge, leave. There's no reason to be paying for 30 meg internet when you get 2.

Would you complain if you bought a series of books, and when they were delivered only got one? Of course! So do it :smile:
Reply 9
You will be paying for an "up to" 30Mb connection. Not much you can do.
Not really worth moaning in my home get less than a 2mb download and less than 1meg upload. That is with talk talk at the moment unlimited, we have been with Bt and sky got the same connection.

The house is over 100 years old though and it is a council estate so they don't bother replacing any cables.
Reply 11
Original post by al45ta1r
We were paying for an "up to 20Mb" connection, and getting about 4 Mbps (when it wasn't cutting off) whilst living 400m from the exchange. Complained constantly for about a month. Finally we got our 5th engineer round who replaced the line into the flat, which it turned out was damaged and kept shorting out (none of the other engineers had noticed!). After that was sorted we were still only getting 5/6 Mbps so phoned up once more, they had put a cap on the line to stabilise it whilst it was being temperamental. Fair enough. That's gone and now we average 12 Mbps; suits me fine!

So if I were you, I'd keep complaining until you are happy. If I'd believed everything the first engineer said, we'd have got nowhere. In fact, he basically accused me of lying and said there was nothing wrong with the line having had it cut out 500 times in 24 hours... It does sound like there is something wrong with yours, keep complaining. You are the customer and are not getting the service you pay for. If they claim not to be able to get it up to a reasonable level of service then try to haggle down your price to something that matches the level of service. Point out what people on other suppliers are paying for the speed they receive. If they won't budge, leave. There's no reason to be paying for 30 meg internet when you get 2.

Would you complain if you bought a series of books, and when they were delivered only got one? Of course! So do it :smile:

Thanks for the post :smile:

We have had one engineer guy round , via our 'contact' at virgin media given to us from our agency people. All he did was teak one or two settings and say nothing else could be done because this just happens at peak times. to which i responded 'So why do i get less than 10 Mb every single night and very early morning?' .. and he said 'well nothing else can be done'. -_-

I have posted a more advanced post on their support forums with more technical information (none of which i understand ;D) so i'll wait a few days for a response with that.. whilst compiling some kind of list of our speeds during the next few days.. then launch one massive hate compaign against 'Steve the virgin guy' :biggrin:
Original post by Tommyjw

Original post by Tommyjw

Company?
Iff Virgin, call and complain. They usually give you 90% of what you pay for, so those speeds are silly. If its phone line broadband, nm you can do. You pay for "up to X Mbps"
Reply 13
Original post by rorydaredking
Company?
Iff Virgin, call and complain. They usually give you 90% of what you pay for, so those speeds are silly. If its phone line broadband, nm you can do. You pay for "up to X Mbps"

Yep it is virgin.

Wary about ringing them just yet, as i am under the (probably wrong) assumption the landlord should be the one contacting them when we have a serious problem. I.e. when i get responses via the forums and they say to sort something out :P
Reply 14
If it's Virgin you should be able to get better than that. I'm with BE and I get 3m on an up to 24m connection. But there's nothing they can do because it comes down to the fact that the telephone exchange is on the other side of town. Virgin's infrastructure shouldn't suffer from problems like that, plus they can just get an engineer sent out to fix the line because they own the cabling.
Original post by Tommyjw

Original post by Tommyjw
Yep it is virgin.

Wary about ringing them just yet, as i am under the (probably wrong) assumption the landlord should be the one contacting them when we have a serious problem. I.e. when i get responses via the forums and they say to sort something out :P

If its in one of you or your housemates names, call up and sort it. If its in landlords name, then they sort it. Simple fact is that even if they replace the cable into the house, you're doing nothing to the house that wasn't already there so shouldn't need to consult landlord. That being said, some landlords are fools.
If you are with Virgin, unless you are on their 50mb package I do believe they reserve the right to throttle your connection at peak times or if you use over a certain amount during their peak times 9am-4pm I believe. If you call out an engineer he can tell you exactly what the line is capable of delivering. The 30mb package was a recent auto upgrade (I think :colondollar:) which I don't think they are honestly capable of delivering, we were on the 20mb last year which auto upgraded to 30mb at no addition charge around jan-feb time, we got 18-19mb before the upgrade and you guessed it 18-19mb after the upgrade that was in central london, I know you can get faster than that as I had it the year before.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending