The Student Room Group

Sikhs riot over meat and alcohol at Cultural Centre

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
:rofl:

Ouch, I'm disgusted with myself :tongue:

Although it is probably the result of me starting a different sentence using 'you are' and then changing my mind of what to type but failing to notice the grammatical error.
Reply 61
Original post by -WhySoSerious?
As you have a sikh background - why?

Tbh, the last time I was in my local gurdwara, there were a few notices up about a few gurdwaras around the country that permitted meat and alcohol. They had been sent letters, phone calls, people visiting them etc etc etc, nothing happened. Go ahead and eat it at home, out anywhere but don't bring it into a place that it really shouldn't be.

This happened in Leamington; some thugs came from Coventry and hit defenceless old men and the local MP. Are you implying that is ok to hit someone?
(edited 12 years ago)
There are a few gurdwaras that serve bacon, eggs and sausages for breakfast. My friend from Kenya told me about these. Apparently a caste called Patre or something to that effect. I dnt go temple anymore so can't really comment.
Original post by meenu89

Original post by meenu89
This happened in Leamington; some thugs came from Coventry and hit defenceless old men and the local MP. Are you implying that is ok to hit someone?

uhhh no.

What I'm saying is that they have a legitimate right to protest, things got out of hand but tbh, you just shouldn't serve meat or alcohol in a gurdwara, or its owned premises. Simple as.
Reply 64
Original post by -WhySoSerious?
uhhh no.

What I'm saying is that they have a legitimate right to protest, things got out of hand but tbh, you just shouldn't serve meat or alcohol in a gurdwara, or its owned premises. Simple as.

Yes, and like I said, those caught and proved guilty of violence should be punished. Simple as.
(edited 12 years ago)
It's not against our religion to eat meat by they way. Just to be clear. But correct I think the Langar hall was designed to cater for everyone's needs. Hindu,Muslim all alike thus the only food that suits them all is veg. So no meat in Gurdwaras.
Reply 66
Original post by Omar.Ebrahim
Wow, you can read. Nice to know Labour's education system worked out well for you.

I'm half Arab, half British. I'm Muslim. English mum, Egyptian dad. I call myself British.

Although nobody's truly English, are they? The language is a mix of German, French and Latin, et al. 'English' people are descendents from Germans, the French, the Russians, Jews etc.

Go look up your family tree.

lol research your history.
Also English language is not a mix of latin.
After the romans left, people continued to talk in the celtic languages, it was only until 1066+ whenthe normans came and set up their barons that the Romance language that they spoke merged with the original language.
Also Russians,no, Jews no. French, no. Germans, no.

Saxons yes, normans yes. Germanic yes(different because gaul,germania, scandanavia etc all have mixed .)
Reply 67
I think its ashame that these Sikhs have rioted like this. I and the British people have a much higher opinion of sikhs than we do of Muslims.
Reply 68
Original post by DdotT
lol research your history.
Also English language is not a mix of latin.
After the romans left, people continued to talk in the celtic languages, it was only until 1066+ whenthe normans came and set up their barons that the Romance language that they spoke merged with the original language.
Also Russians,no, Jews no. French, no. Germans, no.

Saxons yes, normans yes. Germanic yes(different because gaul,germania, scandanavia etc all have mixed .)

The ethnic impact of Normans isn't that much at all, Saxons more so but still the vast majority of English people comprise of the original Britannic inhabitants of pre-Roman Britain. Saxons/Normans had a larger cultural and linguistic impact than they did genetic.

That kid is just mad he is half English, half Egyptian, pretty much culture-less since he is neither here nor there therefore attempts to deconstruct the existence of English as a homogeneous entity since he can't be fully part of it himself.
although you can see the anger they cant jsutify rioting this will only cause some of the ignorant people (some of which have posted) to assume everything about sikhism.

Whenever these articles come up it is important to get the context and full facts not from some ****ty newspaper like the sun.
Reread first paragraph several times: "Hundreds of men attacked the Sikh Cultural Centre after news spread it was breaking the faith's rules." So this is their culture that they attacked in demonstration, not ours. It wasn't a ****ing tesco.
Reply 71
Original post by FluxD
The ethnic impact of Normans isn't that much at all, Saxons more so but still the vast majority of English people comprise of the original Britannic inhabitants of pre-Roman Britain. Saxons/Normans had a larger cultural and linguistic impact than they did genetic.

That kid is just mad he is half English, half Egyptian, pretty much culture-less since he is neither here nor there therefore attempts to deconstruct the existence of English as a homogeneous entity since he can't be fully part of it himself.

I see this all the time, non-whites always try and down play the ancestral link of Britons to these islands because they know they are no one of us and do not share our historical line, it disgust me, however the evidence is in our genes.
Reply 72
Original post by FluxD

Hmm, im kinda at odds with the fact you say the Normans ethnically didn't do much, they did really change the culture exponentially, but ethnically, i think to some extent they had a reasonable impact. Not a race changing amount (they are of similar genus anyway).
But yh most people i agree most people compromise of original british inhabitants, however i think most people also will more then likely have some sort of saxon, scandanavian, germanic etc blood due to the fact europe before the romans and during the dark ages , northern/western europe is compromised of inbreeding between ourselves over the last 3000 years

it just annoys me when idiots make out that english people are a mix of european immigrants.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 73
Original post by The_Jatt_Joker
although you can see the anger they cant jsutify rioting this will only cause some of the ignorant people (some of which have posted) to assume everything about sikhism.

Whenever these articles come up it is important to get the context and full facts not from some ****ty newspaper like the sun.

firstly it is disrespectful to the countries inhabitants to riot and cause destruction.
If a bunch of british people rioted in sikh areas of india then i bet they would be pissed......

secondly, this seems to happen with just a few groups of religions, islam and sikhism. Thats all you here , muslims do this, muslims do that, sikhs do this...

So don't blame people for stereotyping, because if it was just a few people doing it then things wouldnt happen so often.
Reply 74
Original post by DdotT
firstly it is disrespectful to the countries inhabitants to riot and cause destruction.
If a bunch of british people rioted in sikh areas of india then i bet they would be pissed......

secondly, this seems to happen with just a few groups of religions, islam and sikhism. Thats all you here , muslims do this, muslims do that, sikhs do this...

So don't blame people for stereotyping, because if it was just a few people doing it then things wouldnt happen so often.

WOAH! Since when?
Reply 75
Original post by The_Jatt_Joker

Original post by USB
If it is indeed true (it is the Sun after all), then they've let down the whole Sikh community. :frown:

BBC ok for you?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-15296739
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-13587198
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 76
Original post by desijut
WOAH! Since when?

the OP story, but yh every so often youll get a story about a group of sikh fanatics doing something and other things.
Reply 77
Original post by DdotT
the OP story, but yh every so often youll get a story about a group of sikh fanatics doing something and other things.

Im a sikh and I dont hear all these stories, first one ive heard in fact.

im just saying its important to get perspective which, i dont think anyone will argue, the sun doesnt provide.
Reply 79
Original post by desijut
Im a sikh and I dont hear all these stories, first one ive heard in fact.

well i do remember hearing several stories, i tried to find sources but i can't remember exactly what the stories are.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending