The Student Room Group

Dentistry Interviews 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4060
Original post by lego*box
For 2012 entry:

Leeds received approx 1400 applications for 81 places. They interviewed 400. They give out approx 120 offers post-interview.
~ 71% get rejected pre-interview.

Kings received 985 applications for 128 places. They interviewed 300. I'm unsure how many offers they give out post-interview.
~70% get rejected pre-interview.

More people would have got rejected from Leeds in total pre- and post- interview.

That is interesting ; do you have the links to where you got those figures? That would be great! Maybe a reason for Leeds high application is because they don't take ukcat into account? in the King's guide for 2011 they said 9 per place, so 9x128 = 1,152 :smile:

Either way, it's a slightly floored discussion, as to be honest like man have already said:
Most dental schools are very good
Each have good/bad bits

And it's just up to the individual how much they weight each of the points :smile: And plus, a place at any dental school everyone should be proud of!
Hi everyone...

I just thought that while everyone has received their decisions back (except those waiting on the Newcastle pooled list), it might be helpful if we update the "Dental Applicant profiles" thread. I think it's important that we keep this updated so that year 12's who are currently looking at applying for Dentistry have an up-to-date idea of the components that make a successful application to certain Universities.

The link to the thread is here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=997097&page=2
Reply 4062
Original post by DH3498
That is interesting ; do you have the links to where you got those figures? That would be great! Maybe a reason for Leeds high application is because they don't take ukcat into account? in the King's guide for 2011 they said 9 per place, so 9x128 = 1,152 :smile:

Either way, it's a slightly floored discussion, as to be honest like man have already said:
Most dental schools are very good
Each have good/bad bits

And it's just up to the individual how much they weight each of the points :smile: And plus, a place at any dental school everyone should be proud of!

I emailed them earlier this year and those are the figures I was told by the admissions teams. specifically for 2012 entry.
Even if it was 1, 152 applicants for King's, Leeds still have more people to reject.
Anyways I'm not bothered, I'll be applyng to both and will be happy to get in anywhere.
Good luck to everyone.
:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Any graduates that have firmed Liverpool for the 5yr course...message me :smile:
Reply 4064
I rang dr brown (newcastle admission tutor) this morning, and he said decisions could take up to 2 weeks :| however I told him my name and they've started making a rejection list and I wasn't on it so that's kinda good. But we could be looking at the end of april for decisions :/ dunno if I can wait that long :frown: it's driving me mad!
Original post by alexxa.s
I rang dr brown (newcastle admission tutor) this morning, and he said decisions could take up to 2 weeks :| however I told him my name and they've started making a rejection list and I wasn't on it so that's kinda good. But we could be looking at the end of april for decisions :/ dunno if I can wait that long :frown: it's driving me mad!

Thanks for that info! I'm just annoyed with Newcastle now, I just want to know
:facepalm:
hi, is anyone still waiting to receive post rejection feedback from Leeds? thx
Newcastle firmers is there a facebook page? :smile:
Original post by orange.bananna
I think I might leave my immunisations for a few weeks until I decide where I am going, as the other uni's seem to have the view that they'll sort it when you go.

If they get funding for it, then they should carry out the immunisations, especially as they are expensive.

it's plain stupid isn't it. My parents aren't very happy about it and we don't even get onto clinics for ages anyway! Arrrrrg :frown:
Reply 4069
thanks for all the feedback! i cant be bothered to tag everyones posts :P just incase anyone else is trying to decide between universities... the dentists i work with say it really doesnt matter where you qualify! they just want people who can do their job and be good with patients.. which you will achieve wherever you go :smile: so just pick the place you like best! sorry this wont really help you make the decision but it might make the decision seem a little less stressful knowing this!
Original post by addvic
thanks for all the feedback! i cant be bothered to tag everyones posts :P just incase anyone else is trying to decide between universities... the dentists i work with say it really doesnt matter where you qualify! they just want people who can do their job and be good with patients.. which you will achieve wherever you go :smile: so just pick the place you like best! sorry this wont really help you make the decision but it might make the decision seem a little less stressful knowing this!

This is exactly what I did - chose the Uni, course and city that I liked best. We're very lucky that we'll be doing a course where the Uni you firm won't have a big effect on your job prospects.
Reply 4071
is it easier to get into a dental course with a degree?
Original post by freddy
is it easier to get into a dental course with a degree?

Graduate-entry Dentistry is much more competitive than undergraduate Dentistry, and a more expensive route to take. So no.
Original post by racheatworld
Newcastle firmers is there a facebook page? :smile:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/211597662281686/
I came across this, it's for offer holders and not just those that have firmed, it was in the Newcastle Dentistry thread thing :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by orange.bananna
http://www.facebook.com/groups/211597662281686/
I came across this, it's for offer holders and not just those that have firmed, it was in the Newcastle Dentistry thread thing :smile:

Ah brilliant, thank-you!
Reply 4075
Original post by racheatworld
Leeds. Both are equal in facilities, course structure (ie: both traditional lectures, not PBL), in great cities, just the cost of London is putting me off choosing Kings myself.

you get a bigger loan if you go to a london and kings give you a 1k living bursary
Reply 4076
Ok so is anyone else still waiting in the newcastle pool or have there been any changes or anything? Tearing my hair out..
Original post by Pert
you get a bigger loan if you go to a london and kings give you a 1k living bursary

but long term, bigger loan = bigger debt to pay back
Original post by pert

18959899.jpg
Original post by Kartace
18959899.jpg

they do...and its 1.2 to 1.5k! :biggrin:

"Queen Mary bursaries of £1,500 each year for students whose household income is less than £25,000 (and are in receipt of a full or partial higher education maintenance grant)

Queen Mary bursaries of £1,200 each year for students with household income between £25,001 and £42,600 (and are in receipt of a full or partial higher education maintenance grant)"
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest