The Student Room Group

Why do AS levels literally count for nothing? Why is Chemistry so important?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by LifeIsGood
Biology and Chemistry are complimentary. You will struggle if you do one without the other. Why do you find Chemistry hard should be your main question because teachers do have a massive impact on your perspective of a subject, I used to hate Maths last year but when I got good teachers who was friendly and in a positive atmosphere - I love it now. If you honestly just find it boring, I'd reconsider your University choices.

Yeah, my teacher might play a part. He's horrible, and enjoys singling out people. I think i hate it 'cause of him.
Reply 21
Noone's really answered my first question. Why does the AS count for literally nothing?
Original post by Mojojojo
Noone's really answered my first question. Why does the AS count for literally nothing?

In what way?

Without AS you cannot get an A Level
The AS is not required in these situations because the full A level is. In other situations the AS might be required, but in all honesty for most courses nobody cares what subject is in the AS(s) you drop after first year, only that they were relatively challenging and you did well in them. AS grades will be considered as part of your application always. The AS counts for literally something, you just can't do Chemistry based courses without the full A level.
I don't see why i'm getting so many negs for my naivity in enquiring about my future. I thought i could get decent responses, but instead i get slated. What is the point in a website like this where people just gang up on you for asking something reasonable?

Because you're being an ass to people trying to help you. arguing with people who know what they're talking about and you clearly don't. que negs.

BIOmedicine and Cell BIOlOGY have loads and loads of Cchemistry at A2 level and beyond. If you're not enjoying chemistry. do something much closer to pure biology.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Pwn4g3_P13
Because you're being an ass to people trying to help you. arguing with people who know what they're talking about and you clearly don't. que negs.

BIOmedicine and Cell BIOlOGY have loads and loads of Cchemistry at A2 level and beyond. If you're not enjoying chemistry. do something much closer to pure biology.

It's not really being an arse. I just highlighted the Biology parts in the course titles, emphasising how i thought Biology would be more important than Chemistry. I understand how it could've come across wrong though.
Yeah, my teacher might play a part. He's horrible, and enjoys singling out people. I think i hate it 'cause of him.

It definitley has an impact, I'd suggest do your independent work because at the end of the day, the teacher is going to be there for years to come, you're not. Good luck with it, what exam board are you? I can help you if you're on OCR A :smile:
I do Chemistry, Biology, Psychology & Sociology :/

keep chemistry then, without chemistry and maths you'll probably really struggle, and that isn't me being arsey or what ever my friend is applying for the same thing and finding it hard with AS maths not A2 maths
Reply 28
It definitley has an impact, I'd suggest do your independent work because at the end of the day, the teacher is going to be there for years to come, you're not. Good luck with it, what exam board are you? I can help you if you're on OCR A :smile:

It's AQA :frown: , I think i'd prefer OCR. All our Sciences were OCR at GCSE. Thanks anyway, that was really nice of you :smile:

I do try and do independant work but when i get stuck and ask the teacher he always says stupid stuff like 'look on the internet, you'll learn more', and i said that 'i'm not going to learn anything more from the internet telling me than you telling me'.
Reply 29
Original post by TitchTheAntiHero
keep chemistry then, without chemistry and maths you'll probably really struggle, and that isn't me being arsey or what ever my friend is applying for the same thing and finding it hard with AS maths not A2 maths

It was hard picking my A levels. I knew i didn't want to do Maths and History and other stuff. I changed subjects so much (Environmental Studies and Archaeology to French to Sociology), and now it's too late to change and i'm fairly happy with my 4th subject. But i did Chemistry for that reason; my options will be really limited if i don't.
It's AQA :frown: , I think i'd prefer OCR. All our Sciences were OCR at GCSE. Thanks anyway, that was really nice of you :smile:

I do try and do independant work but when i get stuck and ask the teacher he always says stupid stuff like 'look on the internet, you'll learn more', and i said that 'i'm not going to learn anything more from the internet telling me than you telling me'.

OCR is a...at A2, it's much tougher! :frown:

I understand your hate for AQA, they are ergh. I'm put off Biology because of the exams are so random! I heard AQA Chemistry is easier than OCR but that is subjective. Anyway, my advice is to:

-Learn all definitions thoroughly, this is the easy marks. Can easily boost you up a grade or two! You need to get every mark you can get! :biggrin:

-Go through the specification and where there's points such as 'state that a nucleus is surrounded...' just LEARN it. Sometimes in the specification, the answers are right in front of you and you need to be able to recite it exactly how they want it. Unfortunately this makes your grade at the end. With OCR it's easier because they do have a detailed specification whereas Biology's specification is terrible (IMO).

-Past papers are your best friends in Science & Maths subjects. They will make your grade, examiners can only ask so much so once you've covered every single paper, you honestly shouldn't get below a B grade. But saying this, you need to be able to understand the concepts as you will need them in A2. This also requires a lot of time so you should start past papers this week really on topics you've covered.

-Use CGP/Revision guides, they make life a lot easier (and sometimes entertaining). Refer to the CGP along with the specification.

-Read Examiner's Reports, they are telling you what students mess up on and that's something that is so important because there's a high chance the examiners will test it again! So read them, highlight them, analyse them!

Hope that helps :smile:
It was hard picking my A levels. I knew i didn't want to do Maths and History and other stuff. I changed subjects so much (Environmental Studies and Archaeology to French to Sociology), and now it's too late to change and i'm fairly happy with my 4th subject. But i did Chemistry for that reason; my options will be really limited if i don't.

I know the feeling, my dream course (MSci Psychology and Psychological Practise at Birmingham Uni) requires A Level maths and I didn't take it and it's annoying, but you should be fine with Chemistry and Biology but no maths tbh, I'd drop Sociology as it's the least "scientific" out of the subjects you're doing :')
Reply 32
OCR is a...at A2, it's much tougher! :frown:

I understand your hate for AQA, they are ergh. I'm put off Biology because of the exams are so random! I heard AQA Chemistry is easier than OCR but that is subjective. Anyway, my advice is to:

-Learn all definitions thoroughly, this is the easy marks. Can easily boost you up a grade or two! You need to get every mark you can get! :biggrin:

-Go through the specification and where there's points such as 'state that a nucleus is surrounded...' just LEARN it. Sometimes in the specification, the answers are right in front of you and you need to be able to recite it exactly how they want it. Unfortunately this makes your grade at the end. With OCR it's easier because they do have a detailed specification whereas Biology's specification is terrible (IMO).

-Past papers are your best friends in Science & Maths subjects. They will make your grade, examiners can only ask so much so once you've covered every single paper, you honestly shouldn't get below a B grade. But saying this, you need to be able to understand the concepts as you will need them in A2. This also requires a lot of time so you should start past papers this week really on topics you've covered.

-Use CGP/Revision guides, they make life a lot easier (and sometimes entertaining). Refer to the CGP along with the specification.

-Read Examiner's Reports, they are telling you what students mess up on and that's something that is so important because there's a high chance the examiners will test it again! So read them, highlight them, analyse them!

Hope that helps :smile:

Thankyou it has a lot. :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by DeltaVega28
I'm studying Biological Sciences at university; having not studied Chemistry at A-Level (or AS) I really am at a huge disadvantage to those in my class who have, as TGED said above. I wasn't fond of Chemistry at school and am now scolding myself for even considering becoming a biological scientist for this fact. I urge you to continue studying Chemistry at A-Level as it'll make your life so much easier if you do end up studying mentioned courses in university.
Learn from my mistakes ha.

I am planning on doing a Biological Sciences degree at uni without GCSE, AS or A2 Chemistry. Is it really hard to keep up without chemistry? Surely it cant be too bad or else the unis would all ask for A2 or at least AS chemistry before acceptance onto the course. Only one of the courses I am applying for asks for chemistry specifically and thats only to GCSE level. Im applying for it still though because it states 'normally required' so I figured I'd give it a go.
Original post by emmakh123
I am planning on doing a Biological Sciences degree at uni without GCSE, AS or A2 Chemistry. Is it really hard to keep up without chemistry? Surely it cant be too bad or else the unis would all ask for A2 or at least AS chemistry before acceptance onto the course. Only one of the courses I am applying for asks for chemistry specifically and thats only to GCSE level. Im applying for it still though because it states 'normally required' so I figured I'd give it a go.

Biology and Chemistry are complimentary, it's hard to do one without the other. Plus doing Chemistry helps your Maths skills which is required in Biology so it is very beneficial. If you look at course content, you'll be able to tell if there is more biology or chemistry.
Reply 35
Biology and Chemistry are complimentary, it's hard to do one without the other. Plus doing Chemistry helps your Maths skills which is required in Biology so it is very beneficial. If you look at course content, you'll be able to tell if there is more biology or chemistry.

Thanks but thats not what I asked. I wanted to know what the person I quoted thought as they are in a situation currently that I may be in soon. I have A2 Biology, Maths and Psychology.
It's BIOmedicine. Cell/Molecular BIOLOGY. It's not about atoms and elements and periodic table. I understand why you might need it in Biomedicine cause it has a pharmaceutical element, but most of it is a bout bodily issues. C/M Biology is about cells, and how they work and the different parts, and maybe i haven't researched enough but i don't see a massive Chemistry element.

Edit: I don't see why i'm getting so many negs for my naivity in enquiring about my future. I thought i could get decent responses, but instead i get slated. What is the point in a website like this where people just gang up on you for asking something reasonable?

you're being slated because you lack common sense.

The course requires chemistry, clearly because there is a lot of chemistry on the course. The admission tutor knows what a candidate needs to succeed on their course.

Also, stop talking about the course as if you already have a 1st in biomedicine. I have seen biology courses that require chemistry and not biology A level, I know this even though I am not applying for any natural science subjects! :sigh:
Original post by emmakh123
Thanks but thats not what I asked. I wanted to know what the person I quoted thought as they are in a situation currently that I may be in soon. I have A2 Biology, Maths and Psychology.

Sorry for informing you :rolleyes:

Why don't you look up the Unis you want to go to and see the course content, subjects needed?
Reply 38
well for a degree based around Chemistry, they'll want Chemistry A2 as well, and if most applicants have A2, they'll prefer then over those with just AS right? ( In general)
Secondly, AS isn't worth nothing. A2 yes is worth more, but AS is evidence to prove if you are on track to your predicted grade. Plus it could be advantageous, if your school under predicts you for A2, as your AS result will show roughly what you are on track for.
Reply 39
Sorry for informing you :rolleyes:

Why don't you look up the Unis you want to go to and see the course content, subjects needed?

If you read my post properly you would realise that ive already applied to uni and am aware what subjects they need which is just biology. I was asking for their personal view.

Quick Reply

Latest