The Student Room Group

What matters more, the university or the ranking for my course?

I have an offer to study psychology at warwick (AAA), and i obviously know it's a really good uni. But i've also applied to sheffield, though i've not heard a reply yet. Sheffield ranks 5th for psychology, while warwick only ranks 10th. Though i have heard that warwick is a much better uni. If i got an offer from both, would it be wise to choose the better department or the better university?
Warwick is an excellent university - I took physics there, and my wife took psychology there. I can't say much about Sheffield, not having been there, but I'm sure that's very good as well . However, if you were given the choice, I would say go with the one that you would feel happiest spending 3 years. Naturally, if one were far superior than the other, I'd give different advice

Good luck
Reply 2
Original post by Andythepiano
Warwick is an excellent university - I took physics there, and my wife took psychology there. I can't say much about Sheffield, not having been there, but I'm sure that's very good as well . However, if you were given the choice, I would say go with the one that you would feel happiest spending 3 years. Naturally, if one were far superior than the other, I'd give different advice

Good luck

Thanks :smile: Did your wife enjoy it? Sorry, i'm really excited i just got my offer :biggrin:
Reply 3
Don't go off the league tables, if you look at different tables the universities vary in rankings so much (other than oxford/cambridge).

For example; Sheffield is actually rated 19th for psychology on the guardian league table, and Warwick 22nd.

Take them with a pinch of salt, visit the univeristies as well; you're better going somewhere you want to study rather than basing a decision on a number!
Probably the University i'd say.

If both Universities are quite equal in the subject league table, then pick the one that you feel you'd enjoy your time at most :smile:
Reply 5
Both are excellent and I don't think picking one or the other will hinder prospects. Tables vary depending on the weighting of different aspects (which in some cases may be things that have no importance to you).

Pick wherever you want to go. Warwick and Sheffield are really quite different in their atmospheres, I found, given Warwick is on it's on little campus out of the way and Sheffield university is around the city. If you do get the chance, visit them both and use that as a basis, assuming the courses are both appealing.
In my experience the rankings for individual subjects tend to jump around quite a lot but overall rankings are usually very similar year in year out, that's something to bear in mind.

However I'd say it's up to you, look at the courses in detail, does one offer something that you'd really be interested in while the other doesn't?

Also visit them both if you can and get a feel for them, if you hate Warwick there's no point going even if it is higher up the overall tables.

Both are excellent Universities and you won't go far wrong with either!
Original post by moleman3

Original post by moleman3
Thanks :smile: Did your wife enjoy it? Sorry, i'm really excited i just got my offer :biggrin:

We both loved it - it's got its own campus and a really feel-good atmosphere. Some people might find it claustrophobic though just visit it and see for yourself
Reply 8
Sheffield will have a more stuff to do, better night life etc

If of course you're bothered about that kind of thing.
It's what you think matters more. Some people would automatically choose Warwick because of its overall reputation (and because they like the course, obviously), but others may prefer Sheffield, which I've heard is very good for psychology. Make sure you visit them and find out more information (not just about the course, but about university life in general at both) and then pick the one you personally prefer :smile:.
Reply 10
Original post by Nymthae
Both are excellent and I don't think picking one or the other will hinder prospects. Tables vary depending on the weighting of different aspects (which in some cases may be things that have no importance to you).

Pick wherever you want to go. Warwick and Sheffield are really quite different in their atmospheres, I found, given Warwick is on it's on little campus out of the way and Sheffield university is around the city. If you do get the chance, visit them both and use that as a basis, assuming the courses are both appealing.

An important point. Warwick is very much a campus based uni, Sheffield is right in the middle of the city.Depends partly on which appeals most.
Reply 11
Original post by Andythepiano
We both loved it - it's got its own campus and a really feel-good atmosphere. Some people might find it claustrophobic though just visit it and see for yourself

Yeah my sister goes there and it's really nice, i was wondering more about the course? :smile:
Reply 12
Whichever's ranked higher for your subject?! :s
would you rather live just outside coventry or in the middle of sheffield?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending