The Student Room Group

Embarrassing things in every day life

Scroll to see replies

It was a windy day. There were builders. I was wearing a skirt. I think mortified just about cuts it :wink:
Original post by thompsonic7
Picture the scene:

You're walking home from school. You walk alone as you don't live near any friends, so you spend the 30 minute walk daydreaming. Despite walking alone the streets are full of other school pupils, both from your school and the other secondary school in town. Your route also takes you alongside many roads, filled with cars full of people.
During this particular walk home, you are relaying a conversation in your head. Or rather, you are thinking of all the things you should have said. And the reactions to these things you should have said. Before you know it, you are conducting a full on conversation in your head, with you playing the role of both yourself and this other person, answering on their behalf what you want them to say. This carries on the whole way home. You notice people looking at you but ignore it- this conversation game is way too satisfying to think about what's happening around you.
Just as you are about to get home you walk past a window. Still in full on conversation mode you glance in the mirror. Suddenly you notice something, something you wish you hadn't. You were mouthing the words that were being spoken in your head. And pulling the relevant expression (anger in this case). And you realise the whole way home you've been mouthing words to yourself, and pulling a spectrum of facial expressions, from anger to love to hysterical laughter. Without even realising.

I've done this too many times to count. I like to walk most places within about 2-3 miles so I get really into my imaginary conversations, and sometimes I've caught myself mouthing words and pulling facial expressions :colondollar:
Original post by askew116
[video="youtube;MSNOBAr_UDk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSNOBAr_UDk[/video]

Oh wow thanks for that. I have been truly educated lol.
Original post by FunkeyMunkey
Oh wow thanks for that. I have been truly educated lol.

lol, not sure what level of sarcasm is in this message, but if you read the message i quoted when i posted that link, they were saying they didn't know what soliciting was. The clip was merely a comedic attempt at educating them :tongue:
-There were delays on the central line (London train line) and the train I needed to take was coming, so I ran down the stairs and towards the last few steps I literally fell down the stairs just as the train doors opened. I've never been so embarrassed in my life. Literally everyone on the platform and people on the train were staring at me, I'm sure loads of people were laughing as well. I didn't get on the train, I just got up and stood there like nothing had happened.. Ah jeez, I hate remembering that moment!

-We were doing group work in a class in college and I went to move my chair infront of the group (cos there was no space on the sides) and the teachers desk was behind me, and as I was moving the chair I ended up pushing the teachers desk which fell and the side legs broke. I didn't know what the hell to do, so I started picking up the papers and books which fell from the desk
(edited 11 years ago)
Running into the post whilst playing netball
Original post by userna-me*
I bought a pair of jeans a couple of months ago and so I decided to wear it at Central London. I went back to my house only to realise that the price tag was still flapping about with the longest see-through sticker which goes down my jeans, clearly stating in black print, my waist size.

I did that while going on holiday. I noticed on the flight, about 3 hours in when i went to the toilets. :frown:
Its not that embarrassing but it does make me angry when you are walking on the road in the rain back from a long day at college/school and its raining heavy. You walk on the pavement and you see a huge dip in the road which seem to look like mini lake, and cars are approaching, you casually walk thinking the roads big enough for the car to avoid driving through the lake but "some" idiot driver's think its funny to go at full speed and get you soaked! Like WTF. Not that embarrassing when your alone but when people are behind and across the road then yeh :redface:
Reply 1588
1)was standing outside class,then this hot girl starts waving,i waved bag excitedly with the biggest smile on my face,,then realised she was waving at the guy behind me
2)almost tripping over a stone,and looking back to see if anyone was watching....
Reply 1589
Original post by eyre2
When ever something embarrassing happens to me, i always say to myself(after the humiliation) one day im going to look back and laugh...so this thread is just for that-laughing at your/and others embarrassing moments

Embarrassing things that happend to me :

* slipping on icy snow when i'm by my self, in front of strangers, then getting back up acting like nothing happend

* dropping ketchup at the front of my skirt in school, running to the toilet to wipe it of...then when getting to the toilet realising why all the teachers and the guys were giving me weird looks:colondollar:

* dad not really paying attention in parents evening...then teacher asking does she always talk alot at home, then he replies "oh yeah yeah"

* we had a supply teacher, and in my class no one was really paying attention, so eveyone is shouting so they could hear their own voice, my friend was telling me about how her dad was helping her lil sister at home make tiny animals then i said "your dad is soo cute" not realising that the head tecaher was in and the class was dead silent:colondollar: everyone looked and a few girls said ooooh.

sooo embarrasseing. :colondollar::colondollar::colondollar:

i'll add more if other embarrassing things happen (and i know it will!)

tell me your embarrassing stories...

1) once i was eating lunch with a group of friends when i realised i didn't have a straw with my drink so i got up to get one on my way back to my seat i fell flat on the floor i think it was face first!! SO EMBARRASING :colondollar: so i casually just gotup and sat at my seat and then my friends took the piss out of me! :angry: and then to make it worse wheni got home my sister (who went to the same school as me) said oh I heard you fel down in the school canteen in front of everyone.... she said she heard from her friends who also saw me fall down...:colondollar: i was like no i only tripped it wasn't a bad fall.. :colone:

2) replying to a friend realising she wasn't speaking to me

3) sat in a dead silent room whilst my stomach was grumbling and it wasn't an i am hungry kind of grumble ... i wasn't even hungry i had eaten something before going!! :rolleyes:

4) this is the most recent one..so i was dropped off at school from my mums car and everyone's walking in towards the school door and i could hear some girls saying oh shall i tell her i feel sorry for her and the other one saying nah forget it ... so i thought they were talking about someone else later on during the day i looked at my coat and a waxing strip the small one for your tash/ upper lip was stuck at the back of my coat round about where my ass was!! :colondollar: then i realised why people were laughing and talking behind my back... :eek:

i'm sure theres pleanty more but i just can't remember any more!
I went to meet my dissertation tutor for the first time. He had papers all over his desk and said "Oh I'm sorry about the mess, although they do say being messy is a sign of genius." I was nervous as hell so thought I'd try and make a joke back and went with "Ha ha, then you should see my bedroom...."
His face just dropped and he replied "....I've never been propositioned by a student before..."
The most awkward moment in my life.

Although I'm hoping for a better mark now!
Original post by askew116
lol, not sure what level of sarcasm is in this message, but if you read the message i quoted when i posted that link, they were saying they didn't know what soliciting was. The clip was merely a comedic attempt at educating them :tongue:

Haaha no I wasn't being sarcastic. The clip was actually really funny and completely relevant :P
Original post by FunkeyMunkey
Haaha no I wasn't being sarcastic. The clip was actually really funny and completely relevant :P

Oh lol :colondollar:

Just difficult sometimes to gauge sarcasm levels online :smile:
I was playing basketball for my team and i was defending. This girl who was attacking, well i must have been wearing my invisibility cloak, she just ran straight into me. I fell right on my bum and because my shorts were really really silky i just went sliding for a good distance (I was at the top of the key, i ended up behind the back line). I ran the rest of the match with a very sore bum.

Doesnt seem embarrassing, just unfortunate. The thing is, as i was sliding, the game was still in play, so I was still shielding myself from what seemed like an orange asteroid. Felt like a right tit.

I also did a christian Union open mic night drunk. And said " Oh s&**t quite loudly down the microphone. And the music blew off my stand... I didnt remember this until the next morning.
Reply 1594
I was sitting on the bus with my studded spiked bag next to me listening to music and a woman came to sit next to me and sat on my bag!! (probably hurt alot) was the most awkward half an hour bus journey of my life.

But the worst most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to me was when I left my memory stick in the sixth form section of the library and the next person to use the computer thought they would look through it to find out whose it is but I share my memory stick with my mum and there were some baby pictures of me in there on the bath! At lunch they found me in the common room and gave it back to me and asked me why i had naked baby pictures on my memory stick! :eek:
(edited 11 years ago)
I once sat down thinking there was a chair behind me and there wasnt actually. ( i dunno why i thought there was one in the first place) :dontknow:

my whole family started laughing at me.
Something simple can turn so, so cringey...

Was helping out at a maths evening at my school, and i was helping to tidy up cups, pencils, etc. at the end of the night. I start speaking to one of the parents about their kid, and she's about to leave when i notice she's carrying a pencil, so i reach out to take it from her and instead of handing me the pencil, she goes to shake my hand :facepalm:

It would have been fine if she just walked away, but then she realised what i had intended; cue embarrassment for the both of us :facepalm:
Reply 1597
When I was on my geog fieldwork like 3 weeks ago, I walked into someone else room and argued with them on how it was my room and they were in my bed........then I realised I went into room 5 not room 3; cue awkward walk out!
Reply 1598
Original post by chris_d
When I was on my geog fieldwork like 3 weeks ago, I walked into someone else room and argued with them on how it was my room and they were in my bed........then I realised I went into room 5 not room 3; cue awkward walk out!

haha did the rooms look identical?
Reply 1599
Running up behind your friend in the corridor and tickling them... for them to turn round and reveal that they are not actually your friend but a complete stranger.

Quick Reply

Latest