The Student Room Group

Ok how do the A levels work? Help Appreciated

I'm an Irish person who is thinking about doing the A levels from home. I'm trying to figure out the entire system and how to go about doing all of this.

As far as I know edexcel is the only organization that allows you to study from home outside of the UK?

I had figured that the tests for the A levels would be in June 2012 but looking on the website it also states that you have tests in january? Is this so? Will I need to take these also?

What is all this I'm hearing about "predicted grades". I can't seem to get my head around it. Makes zero sense to me. Can somebody please clarify.

Looking at the edexcel website I can't seem to find the subject "futher maths" anywhere. Do they offer further maths as a seperate subject over there or is it just part of maths?

All help greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
Also I was wondering if someone could recommend me which books to buy for Physics/Maths/Applied maths.

Thanks!
Reply 2
Original post by sean33
I'm an Irish person who is thinking about doing the A levels from home. I'm trying to figure out the entire system and how to go about doing all of this.

As far as I know edexcel is the only organization that allows you to study from home outside of the UK?

I had figured that the tests for the A levels would be in June 2012 but looking on the website it also states that you have tests in january? Is this so? Will I need to take these also?

What is all this I'm hearing about "predicted grades". I can't seem to get my head around it. Makes zero sense to me. Can somebody please clarify.

Looking at the edexcel website I can't seem to find the subject "futher maths" anywhere. Do they offer further maths as a seperate subject over there or is it just part of maths?

All help greatly appreciated.

Edexcel and CIE both offer A levels internationally

A levels are modular you take unit exams when you are ready and are awarded the qualification when you have completed the required units. Exams for most units are offered by Edexcel in January and in May/June. For CIE it's November and May/June. You choose which units when (but may be limited by finding a centre that offers the exams).

Predicted grades are used in University applications before students receive their full results. They are simply an indication of what teachers expect a candidate will finally achieve. A candidate with poor predicted grades may struggle to get offers from Unis with high entry requirements.

Further Maths is part of Maths. With Edexcel complete 6 units (4 core and 2 options) and you get maths A level, complete 6 more and you get a further maths A level as well. It's all explained in the specification.

If you go with Edexcel I'd recommend this range of books for Maths, 1 book for each unit. As a private candidate I think you'll find the solutions CD really helpful in your study.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Edexcel-Level-Modular-Mathematics-Core-Mathematics-1-C1-Keith-Pledger/9780435519100
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by gdunne42
Edexcel and CIE both offer A levels internationally

A levels are modular you take unit exams when you are ready and are awarded the qualification when you have completed the required units. Exams for most units are offered by Edexcel in January and in May/June. For CIE it's November and May/June. You choose which units when (but may be limited by finding a centre that offers the exams).

Predicted grades are used in University applications before students receive their full results. They are simply an indication of what teachers expect a candidate will finally achieve. A candidate with poor predicted grades may struggle to get offers from Unis with high entry requirements.

Further Maths is part of Maths. With Edexcel complete 6 units (4 core and 2 options) and you get maths A level, complete 6 more and you get a further maths A level as well. It's all explained in the specification.

If you go with Edexcel I'd recommend this range of books for Maths, 1 book for each unit. As a private candidate I think you'll find the solutions CD really helpful in your study.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Edexcel-Level-Modular-Mathematics-Core-Mathematics-1-C1-Keith-Pledger/9780435519100

Thanks for the great information. Just to clarify, I will have to take exams in january as well or will I be able to take all my exams in june?
Reply 4
Original post by sean33
Thanks for the great information. Just to clarify, I will have to take exams in january as well or will I be able to take all my exams in june?

You can take exams in either January or June, it's up to the exam centre/student to choose which. Depending on how many exams you'd have, you may want to take some in January so as to lighten your workload in June.
Reply 5
Original post by sean33

Jan exams are not compulsory. They are a way of reducing the amount of exams you have in June. Overall, all your exams must be taken by june 2012.

So for example, with Maths (this is what most colleges do), they are 6 exams for AS F.Maths. So students take C1,C2 and S1 in January. Then take C3,C4 and M1 in June. They can take all 6 exams in june but it just means theres more exams and more to revise, whereas doing some exams 'early' (in jan) you have less exams in june to worry about.
Reply 6
Original post by sean33

Most A level students take the exams spread across the 4 separate sessions in their 2 years of study.
You can if you wish take all of the required exams in one summer sitting but that's a lot of exams that could lead to a significant number of exam clashes where 2 exams are scheduled at the same time. As a private candidate you may find centres less willing to make arrangements to manage the clashes or face significant charges for supervision, invigilation etc.

You can find the UK A level exam timetable here (but it doesn't cover CIE)
http://www.education.gov.uk/comptimetable/
Reply 7
Thank you for all the replies!
Reply 8
Looking at the june timetable from the edexcel website It doesn't seem like I'd be able to do fruther maths + maths as I'd have to reshedule 6 of the exams as they have 2 maths exams on at the same time throughout the month.

Is it possible to reshedule the exams?
Reply 9
I also had a look at the department of education website and there are four tests that conflict with each other. Is there any way around this?
Reply 10
Also does anybody know the cost of doing the A levels outside of the UK? Ive sent an email to edexcel but I'm waiting on a reply for the details.
Reply 11
I am a british citizen also if that matters. Ive been living here for 18 years but I have a british passport.
Reply 12
Also if predicted grades are given by teachers how would I get predicted grades as I'll be learning from home?
Reply 13
Original post by sean33

Is it possible to reshedule the exams?

No you would do one exam straight after the other but only IF the centre was willing to supervise your break and provide an invigilator for your second exam. That's where the cost would mount up for you
Reply 14
Original post by sean33
Also does anybody know the cost of doing the A levels outside of the UK? Ive sent an email to edexcel but I'm waiting on a reply for the details.

You should try to search the Edexcel website first.
http://www.edexcel.com/i-am-a/student/private-candidates/Pages/default.aspx
http://www.edexcel.com/i-am-a/student/private-candidates/faqs/Pages/Paying_PrivateCandidate.aspx

Paying for a Private Candidate
How much will it cost me?
Your host centre will charge you based on the cost of the exam(s) and an administrative fee. You can see how much we charge per exam registration here.

Administrative costs will vary from centre to centre.

Quick Reply

Latest