The Student Room Group

St. Andrews A990 Medical Program

Hey,

I know this is a niche question, since it applies to Canadian applicants only, but I'm hoping that someone here knows the answer. I emailed St. Andrews but i haven't heard back in two weeks.

I was wondering if you anyone knows if, when calculating your average, they care about the subject type. In high school I took a bunch of "advanced" courses (we didn't have IB at the time) and in these courses we covered more material in less time, you know the drill. Would they give bonuses to such courses? Or do they treat them the same as "regular" courses.

Thank you!
Glia
Reply 1
I am applying to this programme... Why don't you check out the thread?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1827229

They do not care about the "subject type" you're taking. They won't give you bonuses, simply because it will result in unfairness when compared to other applicants. For example, I don't think they will give bonuses to those who have taken IB when compared to regular CSSD (canadian secondary school diploma) students. I myself is a non-IB student, and as far as I'm concerned, IBs do not get bonuses.

I'm glad to see someone who's also applying to the programme as well!
Reply 2
holy **** that's an expensive program!
Reply 3
Thanks doctork2!

Yeah, .eXe, it's pretty expensive. However, for someone like myself who wants to come back to Canada, being able to compete on the same footing as Canadian graduates in caRMS is an unbelievable advantage.
Reply 4
Original post by Glia
Thanks doctork2!

Yeah, .eXe, it's pretty expensive. However, for someone like myself who wants to come back to Canada, being able to compete on the same footing as Canadian graduates in caRMS is an unbelievable advantage.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you guys plan to fund such exorbitant fees?
Reply 5
Original post by .eXe
If you don't mind me asking, how do you guys plan to fund such exorbitant fees?

My parents set up a bank account for me when I was born in order to pay for my tuition fee... I have also worked hard and managed to save up money to pay for the tuiton as well. The rest will be covered by my parents and my grandparents, who told me that they'll be more than happy to pay for the rest of the tuition.
Reply 6
Same as doctork2, my parents began saving for me since I was born.

I also had my undergrad tuition paid for by scholarships, and balanced my school workload with 2-3 part time jobs at any given time. During the summers I worked 75-85hs/week while living at home, which allowed me to save a significant amount of money.

Anything that my savings can't handle will be paid for by parents, who graciously offered to pay, and bank loans.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by doctork2
I am applying to this programme... Why don't you check out the thread?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1827229

They do not care about the "subject type" you're taking. They won't give you bonuses, simply because it will result in unfairness when compared to other applicants. For example, I don't think they will give bonuses to those who have taken IB when compared to regular CSSD (canadian secondary school diploma) students. I myself is a non-IB student, and as far as I'm concerned, IBs do not get bonuses.

I'm glad to see someone who's also applying to the programme as well!

I have considered this, but I quite dislike the idea of how we have to study in three places as it takes time to familiarize yourself with the studying environment.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by lizzy999
I have considered this, but I quite dislike the idea of how we have to study in three places as it takes time to familiarize yourself with the studying environment.

For me, I found that studying in 3 different universities - including 2 of the best in the UK - is a great privilege to have. I want to grasp all learning opportunities available for me and I personally think this is a fantastic idea.
Reply 9
Original post by doctork2
For me, I found that studying in 3 different universities - including 2 of the best in the UK - is a great privilege to have. I want to grasp all learning opportunities available for me and I personally think this is a fantastic idea.

I also applied St. Andrewa A990. Do you know when they will send interview notice?
Reply 10
This program seems great, but I don't see how it will give you equal footing to Canadian/American graduates, you do get a BSc which you can get from intercalating as well, and while doing 16 weeks in Alberta is a definite plus, you can always do electives in North America in other courses as well.
I would have applied to this, but after thinking about it seems as though it won't make much difference doing this course vs intercalating and doing electives in North America.
And they don't consider APs, no point for me :/
Biggest thing for us Canadians is that we get a UK degree, that gives us a edge over other IMGs (Asian, E.European, Caribbean etc..)
Reply 11
Original post by AbuAK
This program seems great, but I don't see how it will give you equal footing to Canadian/American graduates, you do get a BSc which you can get from intercalating as well, and while doing 16 weeks in Alberta is a definite plus, you can always do electives in North America in other courses as well.
I would have applied to this, but after thinking about it seems as though it won't make much difference doing this course vs intercalating and doing electives in North America.
And they don't consider APs, no point for me :/
Biggest thing for us Canadians is that we get a UK degree, that gives us a edge over other IMGs (Asian, E.European, Caribbean etc..)

Definitely. Carib degrees are pretty much laughable these days since many of the schools often accept anyone with a pulse. Granted there are soem decent carib schools like ross and st george but they still pale in comparison to UK med schools.
Reply 12
Original post by .eXe
Definitely. Carib degrees are pretty much laughable these days since many of the schools often accept anyone with a pulse. Granted there are soem decent carib schools like ross and st george but they still pale in comparison to UK med schools.

Yeahh, medical schools in UK actually train people to become doctors in their country and they have a governing system, in Carib no matter how good that school was, it was simply for profit schools, not to train doctors for Carib.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending