The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

violetviolin
hopefully will see you all come september!! does anyone know what accommodation they're gonna choose yet, or does anyone have any advice on accom? (i've seen the other posts on accom, just wondering what you english lot are thinking of! hehe)

xx

Well, I did my application the other day (only because my dad was talking crazy talk about houses etc...just got it in sneakily, I want to be in halls for sure in the first year,so I'll bring it up later!:p: )
First choice, James Baillie (think thats how you spell it...) ensuite- though it is MASSIVELY overexpensive! I like the way they ask your interests on the form, though I doubt they even really use that in reality.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
I think they take the interest stuff seriously, I ticked the "would like music practice room" thing as a vague novelty and I'm in Oxley (not my #1 choice when I applied) because we have an old piano in a room somewhere.
Hey :-) I've applied to Lupton simply because ppl i know who have been to Leeds said it's the best in terms of money, atmosphere and a community feel...in the main student area of Headingly too which is good apparantly lol and uni not too far away. Oh yeah and it's self catering! Couldn't stand catered :-) xxxxxxx
I've just chosen Leeds as my firm for English.
I know this is gonna sound bad but I'm not 100% thrilled about going because I was counting on York for what seems like forever but got rejected today so had to go for Leeds. It's kind of the next best thing to me. I'm a bit anxious about the Medieval lit module- is it that bad? I'm not too keen on Medieval lit.
I'm really into the Romantics however- will there be anything I'll like? Also lit from around the world interests me.
Meh...am I being too negative about Leeds? I just feel quite bitter about being rejected from my top 3 unis I guess.
Affectation: I was predicted AAA, got 100% at AS Eng Lit, and applied to Cambridge (was interviewed), York, Durham, Bristol, Warwick and Leeds. All of them except Leeds rejected me, and I heard from Leeds last and by that point, fully expected them to reject me too. Imagine how you feel being rejected by your top 3, I got rejected by each #1 place in turn (when I got one rejection, somewhere else would move up to #1, then they'd reject me, etc.). As it was, Leeds is definitely the place for me out of all the ones I applied for, but I only know that now. Don't write it off and don't worry, you'll have a good time.
guitarromantic
Affectation: I was predicted AAA, got 100% at AS Eng Lit, and applied to Cambridge (was interviewed), York, Durham, Bristol, Warwick and Leeds. All of them except Leeds rejected me, and I heard from Leeds last and by that point, fully expected them to reject me too. Imagine how you feel being rejected by your top 3, I got rejected by each #1 place in turn (when I got one rejection, somewhere else would move up to #1, then they'd reject me, etc.). As it was, Leeds is definitely the place for me out of all the ones I applied for, but I only know that now. Don't write it off and don't worry, you'll have a good time.

Similar story, I didn't get 100% but I applied to Cambridge, Durham, Edinburgh, KCL, Warwick and Leeds- Warwick & Leeds were the only offers I got. I was gutted, as it was the same story with mentally moving each one up to first choice then getting rejected by them! I got accepted by Leeds 2 weeks after sending off my UCAS in October and always saw it as my insurance choice so thought it was gonna be Warwick- but when I looked at Leeds, I realised how good it is and that it's much better than I had given it credit for.

I suggest give it a week to try and get over the rejection, as I know its tough, then take a closer look, try and really research Leeds, look at accomodation,at the course, at the social life, as when I did this I thought, hang on, I'm gonna really like this.
Now I can't wait to go to Leeds!:biggrin:
same: i got rejected from everywhere except leeds, but i'm soooo excited for leeds now, and i can see now that it looks the best out of all the other unis i'd applied to! i had hoped i could go to cambridge or somewhere more "prestigious" but to be honest, i think i'll be happiest in leeds. xx
Leeds is relatively prestigious.
Arrrggghhh I need some major help!
I've been offered a place at York for Linguistics/Literature (BA LingLit) and I can't decide between that and Leeds! Meh...
Can any current English students please tell me all the bad points about English there? My tutor at college said that a few girls who've gone to do English from our school have been really unhappy, saying that it's been far too overwhelming and they've not known what they were doing in the first 3 weeks or so.
I need to make this decision quick! I do both Language and Lit at A level separately and am equally good at them (but perhaps prefer Lit slightly more) so I really dunno...
Look through some of my past posts, I did this in a fair amount of detail in another thread (and I'm too lazy to find it and link it for ya.. you can see my past posts through clicking my username I believe).
PinkPigeon
Yahs, as long as I get the grades, you'll be seeing me! Looking forward to it, got really into the idea of going to Leeds now!

Me too....so much so I haven't sorted anything out for my insurance choice yet :biggrin:

Latest