The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kerily
:eek: I know feedback is hardly meant to be needlessly flattering, but... that's a bit far - I think I would actually seriously consider dropping out if a tutor said that to me :s-smilie:

Ha - well to be fair it did mean I put in a lot more work because I was going to be damned if that was the final word on my degree - I reread that essay recently and it is quite awful but I don't think it was that bad. Apparently no one I know has had a tutorial that bad so either it was awful or the tutor was having a really horrific day
i got 62% for my first ever university assignment- a number that made me feel really disappointed, until i realised that to get the top grade boundary (first) i needed only 8% more. this cheered me up a bit.
apparently while the content of my writing was good, my attempt at number referencing was ranked in the 'poor' segment ;_;

but i finished each of the 3 years with first, so having average first mark is not all bad - especially when the first assignment you ever do has such small weighting :}}}}
It's absolutely fine for your first assignment.

I don't know if other 3rd years feel this way, but for me - when I was in first year I wanted to get the best grades ever - I was so enthusiastic and positive. Then I got into second year and I was worn out and a bit more cynical - I was like "As long as I end up averaging a 2:1 it's fine". Now in 3rd year I'm just hoping I can pass everything, regardless or the grade, ace my dissertation and get a 2:1. Expectations suddenly become a little more realistic as the time goes on!
Reply 23
Original post by somethingbeautiful
It's absolutely fine for your first assignment.

I don't know if other 3rd years feel this way, but for me - when I was in first year I wanted to get the best grades ever - I was so enthusiastic and positive. Then I got into second year and I was worn out and a bit more cynical - I was like "As long as I end up averaging a 2:1 it's fine". Now in 3rd year I'm just hoping I can pass everything, regardless or the grade, ace my dissertation and get a 2:1. Expectations suddenly become a little more realistic as the time goes on!

I'm already thinking 'if I can just get out of this alive with a 2:1, I'll be happy'! Doesn't bode that well, I don't think :tongue:
Reply 24
Original post by Aeschylus
Ha - well to be fair it did mean I put in a lot more work because I was going to be damned if that was the final word on my degree - I reread that essay recently and it is quite awful but I don't think it was that bad. Apparently no one I know has had a tutorial that bad so either it was awful or the tutor was having a really horrific day

Seems like a strange thing for a tutor to say... Unless you're holding back some context for the sake of a cool story... But feeling angry about getting poor marks can be a great motivation and you should definately use it if it works for you. I've done some of my best stuff muttering 'lets see you give this a bad mark, you bastard!' to myself.
Reply 25
I hope not
Original post by Joinedup
Seems like a strange thing for a tutor to say... Unless you're holding back some context for the sake of a cool story... But feeling angry about getting poor marks can be a great motivation and you should definately use it if it works for you. I've done some of my best stuff muttering 'lets see you give this a bad mark, you bastard!' to myself.

Nope she went: "Are you sure you're finding the course reading OK Aeschylus? You seem to be struggling heavily? Are you sure this course is the right course for you? Perhaps you should look at other courses" and when I said that I was OK I had to dive out of the room to grab a pen and then go back while she went on at me for 20 minutes about my referencing

Oh god you've brought it all back. You monster. :biggrin:
Original post by Charlottey!
Just not too sure how they grade it at uni and it seems reaaally **** compared to what I used to get at sixth form and that haha :/
Basically should I just drop out haha?!?!

Don't worry, I got 40% for my first assignment, but ended up with 68% for the whole year. I think it just takes time to get used to what they want you to do, as it seems (well at least for my university) everyone wants something different from you. It's only your first year and first assignment, so don't think about it too much :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by kerily
I'm already thinking 'if I can just get out of this alive with a 2:1, I'll be happy'! Doesn't bode that well, I don't think :tongue:

Feeling a bit anxious can be helpful imo, complete runaway panic is always bad news though.
Reply 29
Original post by kerily

Original post by kerily
'Your second year of sixth form/college is easier than your first year of university' is a lie they tell you to persuade you to go to university, I think

Dont you mean 'Your second year of sixth form/college is harder than your first year at University' ... because atm you said that people go to university because its harder - which isn't a pull factor by any means :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by oPJ_Lad
Dont you mean 'Your second year of sixth form/college is harder than your first year at University' ... because atm you said that people go to university because its harder - which isn't a pull factor by any means :smile:

Other way round, even! Don't mind me, I have a really bad (and slightly irritating) habit of accidentally swapping words in for their opposites, and then not noticing :tongue:
How can u find out if dyslexia has been taken into account tia.
Original post by Charlottey!
Just not too sure how they grade it at uni and it seems reaaally **** compared to what I used to get at sixth form and that haha :/
Basically should I just drop out haha?!?!

It is not the biggest deal at all. They usually try to send a message to first years with tricky grading so that you understand university is not like sixth form. Moving forward now just spend a little more time!

Latest

Trending

Trending