The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Its got NOTHING to do with Islam it is entirely a cultural thing...
Its not disgusting, animals don't clean themselves now do they. My parents are Indian and I am British and I never shower during my period. I do however wash my face, legs and armpits. When I get my period I use a tampoon and pad at the same time and change the tampoon and pad once the pad gets quite full.

I was brought up like this and never found a need to change my habits and I do wash other parts.

Well even in India most people do shower during their periods but some chose to not shower. Even if you google it you will find that there are a good amount of people who don't shower. Most people don't recommend it but I have always done it.

You are right it does smell but only when you remove your clothes.
Original post by IntelligenceArtifi
Its not disgusting, animals don't clean themselves now do they.

How many animals have periods?:s-smilie:

I do think it is disgusting. It may only be blood; but to me, it feels dirty.
Original post by OU Student
How many animals have periods?:s-smilie:

I do think it is disgusting. It may only be blood; but to me, it feels dirty.

You have blood constantly in your body and don't find that disgusting.

I think its not a big issue and people who want to shower should and those who don't want to should not.
Reply 184
I remember my late grandmother telling me that when she was younger her mother told her and her sisters not to get a bath during their periods as they'll be more likely to get a cold (this was a white British Protestant family). I couldn't imagine not washing when I'm on my period personally, if anything I shower more often.
Reply 185
What nobody so far seems to have raised is that Muslims are supposed to wash their private parts every time they go to the toilet - whether they are male/female, menstruating/not. So the OP's colleague really has no excuse.
Reply 186
I went to a WATER PARK once with my school and one girl who was on her period refused to use a tampon, the log flume was not fun :frown: (not very relevant but oh well)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 187
Original post by Anonymous
Personally, I can't do a full wash when I'm on my period. I've tried before and the blood ended up dripping down my leg. Not pleasant.

It's just blood.
Original post by Et33
I went to a WATER PARK once with my school and one girl who was on her period refused to use a tampon, the log flume was not fun :frown: (not very relevant but oh well)

Some women can't get on with tampons.
Reply 189
Original post by OU Student
Some women can't get on with tampons.

The reason she refused was because she thought she'd lose her virginity...

Its not disgusting, animals don't clean themselves now do they. My parents are Indian and I am British and I never shower during my period. I do however wash my face, legs and armpits. When I get my period I use a tampoon and pad at the same time and change the tampoon and pad once the pad gets quite full.

I was brought up like this and never found a need to change my habits and I do wash other parts.

Well even in India most people do shower during their periods but some chose to not shower. Even if you google it you will find that there are a good amount of people who don't shower. Most people don't recommend it but I have always done it.

You are right it does smell but only when you remove your clothes.

What?? And you feel comfortable knowing you smell down there??
I think people need to wash down there regardless of what stage in the cycle they are at.

Edit: oh, and I remember speaking to male friends and they told me they can actually smell it through some girls clothes. Girls don't notice it, but some guys actually do.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by yennibubs
What?? And you feel comfortable knowing you smell down there??
I think people need to wash down there regardless of what stage in the cycle they are at.

Edit: oh, and I remember speaking to male friends and they told me they can actually smell it through some girls clothes. Girls don't notice it, but some guys actually do.

I'm not into dating until I am much older and ready to get married. In fact I want nothing sexual until then. So even if guys notice why should I care. Besides guys find me extremely cute and always want to turn me into their GF's and I attract far to many perverts so I assume I do not smell from the outside.
I'm not into dating until I am much older and ready to get married. In fact I want nothing sexual until then. So even if guys notice why should I care. Besides guys find me extremely cute and always want to turn me into their GF's and I attract far to many perverts so I assume I do not smell from the outside.

lol ok. I wasn't mentioning the guys thing as in potential boyfriends being turned off, but rather that other people, regardless of their gender could notice.

But ok, as long as you're comfortable with knowing you smell down there, then fair enough.
Reply 193
Eeew... there's something called hygiene. Just saying.
Reply 194
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww. That's all I got to say.
Original post by Anonymous
Not trolling. What I have to say, in reality, almost made me gag out loud when someone told me this. It is filthy.

A Muslim colleague told me today that she doesn't shower at all when on her period, for 4 days straight.......So I asked if it is a cultural thing? She said no, not only muslims do it, she knows Hindu Indians who do that too... So I said, hmm are you sure? Never heard such crap. Then she goes how I'm absolutely disgusting showering on my period.]

It hasnt anything to do with culture im muslim and i think it is disgusting not to shower for that long - like ewwww. That is sooo rude of her to say you are disgusting. hygeine is verrry important in islam so i dont know what she is doin. You have tried enough with her...all you can do is avoid her when she is on her pp.
I have no idea about others, but for me, when I have my period, I would clean it with clean warm water.
I am not one to judge religious practice on what they consider as healthy. But it makes me wonder why they take hygiene for granted in some of their rituals such as not bathing for days during a period?

Perhaps they have logical reasons for that other than religious?
LOL is this thread a joke? If people didn't wash then they would feel dirty, more so in fact when they're on their period.
Reply 199
Thats not her culture thats just her! Ewww!!! Thats full on viel :/

Latest

Trending

Trending