The Student Room Group

My University passed my library fines onto a debt collector...

Hi there,

My uni sent my library fine of £97.10 (37.10 in fines, £60 for the two books I 'lost') to a debt collector. They sent me ONE letter at the end of 2010 and nothing else (no calls, no e-mails). A couple of weeks ago a letter arrived at my parents house for me from a third-party claiming I needed to pay the fine or else. I didn't have the money (I have had £600 coming out of my account for the last year or so, so money has been tight) but thankfully my parents paid (they had to because it could possible ruin their credit rating- I hope it hasn't :frown:). Still the Uni has not cleared this up (it has been two weeks) and I am still unable to take out books which is frustrating considering I am a final year student.

Is this sort of situation normal? How does the typical university deal with unpaid fines in this manner?

Thanks,
OMSS

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
have they got a receipt?
Reply 2
Original post by OhMySweetStars
(they had to because it could possible ruin their credit rating- I hope it hasn't :frown:).

Don't see why it would.
Reply 3
I hope not. My parents are about to apply for a mortgage, so hopefully this will not ruin their chances... Thanks Cicerao :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi there,

(they had to because it could possible ruin their credit rating- I hope it hasn't

Fines going unpaid in public libraries CAN ruin the borrowers credit rating at least, or so I'm led to believe by way of idle librarian gossip behind the desk while eating biscuits, drinking tea and scornfully dissmissing anyone reading dianelle steele as barely literate.
Reply 5
How hard is it to return books on time?
Original post by Sharri5
How hard is it to return books on time?

Pretty hard if you have lost them I should imagine.
nah, debt collection companies can't actually take the money off you any more than the university can. They can demand all they want.

You probably won't be able to graduate until you've paid, though.

And it's nothing to do with your parents. It's your debts.
Well with my uni in my first year they just didnt release my end of year grades til i paid up, and i did before it got that far. Plus if you knew you had fines to pay why wouldnt you pay them?! Ignoring money you owe isnt good and it will ruin YOUR credit rating so essentially your chance of borrowing money will be at risk. Also your a final year student, how can you have outstanding money which wont let you take out books?! In my final year i took out lots of books to help with my degree, unless your doing a degree that doesnt then i dont understand how your studying without taking out books!
Reply 9
Original post by Ham22

Original post by Ham22
have they got a receipt?

My parents, yes. I haven't had the chance to go back home yet to collect all the evidence yet. But I find it quite bizarre that the university has not realised that the debt has been paid. Thankfully most of my reading were either journals or available as e-books. But some of the books I need for an assignment due in next are not available in e-book format. I have to take out physical copies of the books. But, because it is a Saturday I will have to wait until Monday to clear this mess up.
Reply 10
Why didn't you just pay ?!
Original post by Sharri5

@Sharri5, The fines were as a result of books I apparently 'lost'. I know I handed in those books. Secondly, this happened at the end of the university year. I handed all my books in on time and went back to my hometown to complete a placement year. I did not realise these books were missing until 2 month or so later. That is why there is fine...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Julian_valensi

LOL. Okay maybe my mother was exaggerating the problem a little bit.
Reply 13
Original post by republicc
Why didn't you just pay ?!

I didn't have the money

Come on.
Reply 14
No sympathy for you here, do you think things like that just get swept under the carpet.

Serves you right.

I bet you wouldn't have bothered if the debt collectors didnt come round.
Reply 15
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Pretty hard if you have lost them I should imagine.

Point still stands---but nice try anyway :colonhash:
Original post by psychocustard

@ psychocustard, Thanks. But the debt is on my parent household (this is where they sent the letter). I have never had to ask my parents for anything. I worked as soon as I could since the age of 17 right up until I was 21. I decided to leave my job at the end of my second year so I could focus on my placement year and eventually my final year. But, I recently got a job again so I can pay my parents back and support myself again (living without any wages sucks :P).

Thanks, though :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Go to the library and pay the fines/tell them the fines have been paid. End of problem.
Original post by moonlight86

@moonlight86,

Yea, I know. But the £37.10 fine was racked because of the lost books and £60 is for the two lost books. Because I remember handing those books in I was a little reluctant to pay it (I tried to appeal several times, but was unsuccessful).

Trust, there are ways. I was allowed to enter the library, so I did all my reading and note taking there there (plus the library is open 24/6). I have handed in two assignments so far and have received 1st simply because I read a great deal while in the library.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
At the end of the day though, you won't be allowed to graduate until you pay the fines. You've already exhausted the appeals process so you might as well pay now and make life a bit less inconvenient for yourself/your parents if they're being harassed!

Latest

Trending

Trending