The Student Room Group

Help! Lost my bank card in an ATM

What the heck am I supposed to do now? Went to get £30 out before, put my card in and everything like normal then when it said please remove card nothing came out. Waited about a minute and a message popped up saying my card has been retained and to contact the bank (not possible at 8pm on a Sunday night!).

Is it likely to be a machine fault? How long is it gonna take them to issue a new card, I've got literally no cash on me whatsoever so I can't wait!
I've had this - it claimed to have changed the PI number and it hadn't, so when I entered the new one it retained the card.

Basically your only option is to borrow some money and go to the bank tomorrow to get it back. It's not difficult and, if you take ID, you'll get it back on the spot. :smile:
Reply 2
Yeah that happened to me.

I had 2 cards on me for some reason, and one had passed its expiration date, so I put the wrong one in. The machine took it, so I simply put the other in.

There must have been a reason for it. Are you sure it said 'Please remove card'? A lot of machines just take them if something has changed.
Original post by IanDangerously

That's how I dispose of my expired cards! :lol:
Reply 4
What the heck am I supposed to do now? Went to get £30 out before, put my card in and everything like normal then when it said please remove card nothing came out. Waited about a minute and a message popped up saying my card has been retained and to contact the bank (not possible at 8pm on a Sunday night!).

Is it likely to be a machine fault? How long is it gonna take them to issue a new card, I've got literally no cash on me whatsoever so I can't wait!

You have to visit your bank the next working day and explain .
Reply 5
Unless it was one of those bogus fronts attached to a machine by criminals... You'd think people would notice but apparently they don't.
Reply 6
Original post by Joinedup
Unless it was one of those bogus fronts attached to a machine by criminals... You'd think people would notice but apparently they don't.

Well I had this happen to a card of mine in a place I wouldn't expect it to have happened.
On the side of Asda where I live, their are machines there. The same time I had money coming out of my account randomly (which I got back - over £500's worth) was the time their was a machine there that had been tampered with.
Cheers guys. I'll go down the bank tomorrow morning and get them to sort it. At least I can withdraw money from my account over the counter in the bank anyway to get me through whilst they sort my card out.
My card's been swallowed a few times and every time it's happened to me the bank in which the machine is based are never allowed to give it back to me? From this and the experiences of my friends I was under the impression this was standard practice. Maybe we just have untrustworthy faces though!

OP, as you said, withdraw money over the counter with your ID until you get a new card/the card back but personally I've never been able to get a card back from the bank whose machine has swallowed it...
They don't give you your card back if it's been swallowed even by accident. I don't think the people who work there can actually open up the machines for a start.

It'll have to be a new card, if it was a debit card then it probably won't take too long.

Lost and Stolen departments are open 24 hours a day.

Most Telephone banking type things are open 24/7 (some aren't of course), but the L&S dept. is always an exception because they want you to report stuff like this straight away!
Original post by scribble_girl
My card's been swallowed a few times and every time it's happened to me the bank in which the machine is based are never allowed to give it back to me? From this and the experiences of my friends I was under the impression this was standard practice. Maybe we just have untrustworthy faces though!

OP, as you said, withdraw money over the counter with your ID until you get a new card/the card back but personally I've never been able to get a card back from the bank whose machine has swallowed it...

I managed to get money out over the counter today and they're sending me a new debit card within 5 days. They made sure to cancel the old one too so nobody can steal my money. Feel a bit happier now, was all panicky last night with no cash!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending