The Student Room Group

Is it worth getting a Tesco Clubcard?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheSownRose
If you're ok with them using it to spy on you, it's a good deal.

Negger: do you dispute that they are spying on your purchases when you use it, or that it is a good scheme?

what makes you say they are spying on you?
they can tell what people are buying anyway, there is no need to focus on the people with clubcards.

the idea of the clubcard (and nectar etc...) are to offer you rewards for shopping there, meaning you are more likely to go back to tesco again.
Original post by Boristhethird
what makes you say they are spying on you?
they can tell what people are buying anyway, there is no need to focus on the people with clubcards.

the idea of the clubcard (and nectar etc...) are to offer you rewards for shopping there, meaning you are more likely to go back to tesco again.

Are you really that naive? Yes, they can tell what people are buying anyway, but not the demographics. It's the specification of which people are buying what that they want. Giving people the rewards is cheaper than paying for market research.

I'm not saying it's particularly malicious, but people should be aware of it happening.
Are you really that naive? Yes, they can tell what people are buying anyway, but not the demographics. It's the specification of which people are buying what that they want. Giving people the rewards is cheaper than paying for market research.

I'm not saying it's particularly malicious, but people should be aware of it happening.

ok, so what can they do with this information?

the worst they can do is give me advertising for stuff im going to buy anyway.
ok, so what can they do with this information?

the worst they can do is give me advertising for stuff im going to buy anyway.

Like I say, it's not particularly malicious - they are using to refine their advertising and tailor your rewards.

I just think it's only fair that people know it happens.
Like I say, it's not particularly malicious - they are using to refine their advertising and tailor your rewards.

I just think it's only fair that people know it happens.

so they can give me offers on things i buy, sounds good to me...

though i dont particuarly mind people knowing things about me (i never understood peoples thing against gmail searching your mail to give you appropriate adverts, again they are just advertising things i may want)
so they can give me offers on things i buy, sounds good to me...

though i dont particuarly mind people knowing things about me (i never understood peoples thing against gmail searching your mail to give you appropriate adverts, again they are just advertising things i may want)

Some people are bothered by it, some aren't. That's why I originally said that it's good assuming it doesn't bother you that Tesco monitor what you're buying with it.
Reply 26
Original post by Left Hand Drive
ZOMG!

Information such prefers coke to pepsi?

I appreciate that you're trying to humourously take the piss, possibly for rep, but they can actually work out a huge amount about you based on what you buy.

(i never understood peoples thing against gmail searching your mail to give you appropriate adverts, again they are just advertising things i may want)

You must not send very sensitive emails, then. You might not personally have an issue but I don't see how you "can't understand" why people wouldn't want the content of their emails passed to advertising companies trying to build a profile on you.
Original post by Implo
I've sorta glanced through a leaflet but the rewards seem a bit hard to reach but I have barely looking into it, wondering if anyone has already and can tell me lol.

Yeah it's worth it. You can get little ones that fit on key rings and give them to your family or room mates or whoever so that you can reach the targets faster and share out the rewards.
Original post by Cicerao
You must not send very sensitive emails, then. You might not personally have an issue but I don't see how you "can't understand" why people wouldn't want the content of their emails passed to advertising companies trying to build a profile on you.

the information isn't being sent on, a computer looks for key words, and gives an advert with matching tags.
Reply 29
the information isn't being sent on, a computer looks for key words, and gives an advert with matching tags.

And what "computer" would that be? Educate yourself: http://donttrack.us/
(change "search and click on the link" to "have that term in your email which has been scanned" and it's exactly the same thing that happens.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending