The Student Room Group

I want to view a Court Case

Hi guys! :hi:

I have a few Crown Courts/Magistrates Courts around my college and my home area and I want to go to one tomorrow morning. I have a long break until lessons start at 2:00pm so I will probably be able to get my fix of Kavanagh QC! :teehee:

The only problem is I don't know the rules and times or even if there are going to be any cases that day!

I want to go to a Crown or Magistrates Court somewhere in the Brent/Harrow area of London. But I cannot find listings for cases scheduled in any of these courts. I don't even know which courts are in the area (except for one)

Also with regards to security etc.....what happens with bags etc.... I will have my mobile phone and backpack etc..... on me but I could swear that you aren't allowed bags in the court I am not sure.

If you have any answers to my questions/ links please do tell me. :smile:

Thanks in advance :

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
when i went to crown court (viewing gallery), regarding security i had to go through one of the big metal detectors, some of us got patted down. phones have to be turned off and you cant make noises obviously.

just ring up and say you want to view a case, it'll be fine!
This has got to be on my bucket list, maybe odd but still a life experience!
Reply 3
Commit a crime- then you'll have the best seat in the house :smile:
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
Hi guys! :hi:

I have a few Crown Courts/Magistrates Courts around my college and my home area and I want to go to one tomorrow morning. I have a long break until lessons start at 2:00pm so I will probably be able to get my fix of Kavanagh QC! :teehee:

The only problem is I don't know the rules and times or even if there are going to be any cases that day!

I want to go to a Crown or Magistrates Court somewhere in the Brent/Harrow area of London. But I cannot find listings for cases scheduled in any of these courts. I don't even know which courts are in the area (except for one)

Also with regards to security etc.....what happens with bags etc.... I will have my mobile phone and backpack etc..... on me but I could swear that you aren't allowed bags in the court I am not sure.

If you have any answers to my questions/ links please do tell me. :smile:

Thanks in advance :

Hi, sorry for quoting you I was just making sure you'd come back.

I am a law student who has been to view a few court cases.

You should check the day before with reception at the court when the best time would be to view a case, if they ask why say you are a keen law enthusiast and would like a better insight. Legally, we are allowed to see whatever ones we want however a murder case won't be likely as it will be filled with press already.

The magistrates is a bit boring so stick to crown I say :smile:

As for searches, they take a thorough search of your bag and remove certain items (such as deodorant, anything sharp, the usual objects that could cause an issue) and you simply collect them again on the way out.

I brought my bag in, as did everybody else with me.

And please for the love of god turn your phone off and take out the battery, if it goes off even the slightest or vibration can be heard or you tapping away on the keypad you can be asked to leave or get in serious trouble, including one for disruption of court practice which may see you sat infront of a magistrate or judge yourself!

Good luck :smile:
Original post by VQG

become a judge :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by Agenda Suicide
Hi, sorry for quoting you I was just making sure you'd come back.

I am a law student who has been to view a few court cases.

You should check the day before with reception at the court when the best time would be to view a case, if they ask why say you are a keen law enthusiast and would like a better insight. Legally, we are allowed to see whatever ones we want however a murder case won't be likely as it will be filled with press already.

The magistrates is a bit boring so stick to crown I say :smile:

As for searches, they take a thorough search of your bag and remove certain items (such as deodorant, anything sharp, the usual objects that could cause an issue) and you simply collect them again on the way out.

I brought my bag in, as did everybody else with me.

And please for the love of god turn your phone off and take out the battery, if it goes off even the slightest or vibration can be heard or you tapping away on the keypad you can be asked to leave or get in serious trouble, including one for disruption of court practice which may see you sat infront of a magistrate or judge yourself!

Good luck :smile:

WOW! Thanks for that informative post :cheers:

Well that puts my mind at rest. I will just pop round to the local court. But out of interest: Do any interesting things come in front of a Magistrates Court? :holmes: Or do they all come in front of a Crown Court. I start college at 2pm and right now I am getting ready to leave the house. Not sure if I will make it for a case today :erm:

How is the Law degree going? :smile:
Original post by mosmof
when i went to crown court (viewing gallery), regarding security i had to go through one of the big metal detectors, some of us got patted down. phones have to be turned off and you cant make noises obviously.

just ring up and say you want to view a case, it'll be fine!

In that case I may be patted down as I have a metal belt and metal buttons. But something tells me that kind of metal doesn't set it off I think.

Original post by VQG

No thanks. Somehow I don't think I would like to play the role of criminal LOL. :laugh:
Reply 7
Well guys I went today! :biggrin:

It was awesome. :awesome:

I never got a chance to go to Crown Court. (Not enough time)

So I went to the Magistrates instead. :biggrin:

I had lots of fun too :h:

All of the cases were relativly short! The average course of a Magistrates trial seems to be 15 minutes or so. Some were even much less.

Basically all what the Magistrates do was send people off on bail!

Even one guy who had 11 previous convictions of theft and theft from a motor vehicle. He commited theft when he was on bail and this week he also stole an electric guitar from some woman's house! He also lied to the arresting officers. He habitually takes drugs and they send him off on bail! (Awaiting pre sentencing reports) If I were the JP.... I would have held him in remand. :erm:

All of the cases were relativly short! The average course of a Magistrates trial seems to be 15 minutes or so. Some were even much less.

Even one guy who had 11 previous convictions of theft and theft from a motor vehicle. He commited theft when he was on bail and this week he also stole an electric guitar from some woman's house! He also lied to the arresting officers. He habitually takes drugs and they send him off on bail! (Awaiting pre sentencing reports) If I were the JP.... I would have held him in remand. :erm:

The number 1 factor for granting bail is the likelihood of him absconding. Regardless of his previous convictions, if they're confident he'll return they will in all likelihood allow him bail. Especially if he's had so many convictions before he can use that as evidence that he will report back when he's required.
Reply 9

Reply 10
Original post by The West Wing
The number 1 factor for granting bail is the likelihood of him absconding. Regardless of his previous convictions, if they're confident he'll return they will in all likelihood allow him bail. Especially if he's had so many convictions before he can use that as evidence that he will report back when he's required.

When you look at it that way...... That is true yes! :yep:

I was more thinking of keeping him off the streets. What if he steals yet again..... on bail again!? At least for bail: I would make it conditional that he be on a curfw. (I think they did that but I aint sure)

Today I saw:

1. Theft from a Motor Vehicle (Electric Guitar) Defendent enters Guilty Plea
2. Failiure to appear( Did not answer bail at the Court) Defendent pleads Guilty
3. Driving whilst disqualified (3 counts) - 1 Guilty Plea and the other 2 not guilty. Defendent also pleads not guilty to driving without insurance

Every single case I heard today came back with the same result: Bail! They were all 20 minutes. Fun and interesting. (Something I will be doing again :biggrin:) But it is hardly all what I expect!
Reply 11
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
On a related note, if you want to have a look at some civil cases in the Supreme Court, there is a live stream here and schedule here.

Thanks. :smile:
Reply 12
You can take bags in the court but you get checked by security first. Make sure your phone is switched off.

Try to enter the court when everyone else goes in. Enter quietly. When the judge arrives, you must stand and you bow. He will then tell you to be seated, or he'll sit down, then you sit.

If you are late you can still enter, but again, do not draw attention to yourself, walk in quietly, bow towards the judge when you enter and then take a seat.

If you aren't allowed to enter for whatever reason, there will be a sign on the door.

You can call the court in advance to ask about times/cases and there will be notices inside the court. It is pretty rude in my opinion to leave in the middle of a case though so be careful if you're going during a free period. Not to say you can't leave though but... I dunno, I just see it as manners to sit all the way through.
Reply 13
Original post by Sazzy890
You can take bags in the court but you get checked by security first. Make sure your phone is switched off.

Try to enter the court when everyone else goes in. Enter quietly. When the judge arrives, you must stand and you bow. He will then tell you to be seated, or he'll sit down, then you sit.

If you are late you can still enter, but again, do not draw attention to yourself, walk in quietly, bow towards the judge when you enter and then take a seat.

If you aren't allowed to enter for whatever reason, there will be a sign on the door.

You can call the court in advance to ask about times/cases and there will be notices inside the court. It is pretty rude in my opinion to leave in the middle of a case though so be careful if you're going during a free period. Not to say you can't leave though but... I dunno, I just see it as manners to sit all the way through.

Thanks Sazzy :h:

Oooh PS Helper now! :gahh:

H&R Mod, Everyday Issues Mod, Christmas Grotto Mod, PS Helper......... busy!
Reply 14
Thanks Sazzy :h:

Oooh PS Helper now! :gah:

H&R Mod, Everyday Issues Mod, Christmas Grotto Mod, PS Helper......... busy!

Haha, yeah I am pretty busy at the moment on TSR. :smile:

That's OK, let me know if you get an interesting case :tongue: Oh and don't forget to dress smart :smile:
You don't want to go sit in a magistrates court.... I spent a whole day in there and all it was was druggies getting fine and slapped on the wrist... Really boring.
Reply 16
Original post by Sazzy890
Haha, yeah I am pretty busy at the moment on TSR. :smile:

That's OK, let me know if you get an interesting case :tongue: Oh and don't forget to dress smart :smile:

Pffft... Mods. :rolleyes: Sadists that like to be stressed lol. :tongue:

You know I will :biggrin:
Glad your court visits are going well!

The magistrates courts can be interesting. You are likely to see a much wider range of things going on. When you think about it, almost 99% of criminal cases live and die in the mags and every criminal case starts of there.

You are also more likely to see more of the bread and butter work of the criminal practitioner - bail applications, summary trials etc.

The crown courts are just as good, but you are more likely to walk into a trial which has been running for some time, leaving you clueless as to what it is about. Often you can speak to security/ the front desk to ask what is going on.

I see that you are from the London area - I would highly recommend that you visit the Royal Courts of Justice. There you can look at some civil stuff but also criminal appeals which are great. You are also in the centre of "Law Land" - the Inner Temple and other Inns of Court are well worth a visit.

The Old Bailey is a great court to visit however security is very high. You will not be allowed to take your phone in with you.

Have fun - I had a great time visiting courts while at uni and on mini-pupillages.

EDIT: as for times. Most courts will open around 9am but typically, hearings will not start until 10/10:30. Lunch is usually at 1am until 2pm. Hearings will usually finish at 4 but can run on until 4:30.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by InnerTemple
Glad your court visits are going well!

The magistrates courts can be interesting. You are likely to see a much wider range of things going on. When you think about it, almost 99% of criminal cases live and die in the mags and every criminal case starts of there.

You are also more likely to see more of the bread and butter work of the criminal practitioner - bail applications, summary trials etc.

The crown courts are just as good, but you are more likely to walk into a trial which has been running for some time, leaving you clueless as to what it is about. Often you can speak to security/ the front desk to ask what is going on.

I see that you are from the London area - I would highly recommend that you visit the Royal Courts of Justice. There you can look at some civil stuff but also criminal appeals which are great. You are also in the centre of "Law Land" - the Inner Temple and other Inns of Court are well worth a visit.

The Old Bailey is a great court to visit however security is very high. You will not be allowed to take your phone in with you.

Have fun - I had a great time visiting courts while at uni and on mini-pupillages.

EDIT: as for times. Most courts will open around 9am but typically, hearings will not start until 10/10:30. Lunch is usually at 1am until 2pm. Hearings will usually finish at 4 but can run on until 4:30.

Although as you can see above ..... Some of the cases weren;t all that exciting though :erm:

However it was quite fun and exciting in general though. I would have to see if I can visit a Crown Court in the new year maybe :smile:

What happens at the Old bailey? Do they have cases each day? Are there lockers to keep phones and stuff?

Thanks very much :smile:
Cool.

Keep doing it and tell the ladeez how you're going to court later.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending