The Student Room Group

TSR Money Savings Club

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
If you look, (and you can- you can search ANY book title and it'll tell you how much it'd be worth to trade in) 25p is the norm for fiction, but they'll pay a lot more for text books. I have almost finished a psychology degree and have a lot of text books to sell. The £60 came from 6 psychology textbooks.

Also, I do have hundreds of books as it happens. Kind of don't appreciate being accused of lying or "sounding dodgy".

Wish I had known of this scheme 3 months ago when I had to empty up and leave UK for Switzerland.

Gave away almost a thousand books as the new home in Switzerland is 1/3 the size of the former UK home.
Original post by Herr
Wish I had known of this scheme 3 months ago when I had to empty up and leave UK for Switzerland.

Gave away almost a thousand books as the new home in Switzerland is 1/3 the size of the former UK home.

Oh no that's unlucky! You could have made hundreds from those!
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Well I'm not being funny love but you can check the prices on Amazon yourself, unless you think Amazon are lying to you as well, in which case I'd probably just think you were incredibly paranoid.

EDIT: By the way, I'm just writing you a PM.

I received the PM and believe you now :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Lauren Pen
That's great news! When do you start college?
And I'm getting on better too :P *high fives leavemyarcelona*

I'm at college just now, will probably not be starting uni now until september 2013, due to the likelihood of a rejection from my first choice uni and not having the money to move away. At least this gives me the chance to work away and save up money until then. I might book a wee holiday as well, to be honest, as I think I've burned myself out a wee bit. That is ojce I've saved up some more of course.

Good to hear you're getting on better :smile: have you been saving up more then?
[QUOTE="Leavemyarcelona;36409663"]
Original post by Lauren Pen
That's great news! When do you start college?
And I'm getting on better too :P *high fives leavemyarcelona*

I'm at college just now, will probably not be starting uni now until september 2013, due to the likelihood of a rejection from my first choice uni and not having the money to move away. At least this gives me the chance to work away and save up money until then. I might book a wee holiday as well, to be honest, as I think I've burned myself out a wee bit. That is ojce I've saved up some more of course.

Good to hear you're getting on better :smile: have you been saving up more then?

But if you get rejected by your first choice, why does that mean you won't go to uni until 2013? (the world could have ended by then :tongue: )

And thanks :smile: A bit more, but it's not really more. It's just balancing the usual amount out coz of Christmas and stuff.. if that makes sense? But I've come up with a simple plan which should help. Before, I was just planing to 'save up' but now I know how I will do it :smile:
[QUOTE="LovePeaceAwesome;36409742"]
Original post by Leavemyarcelona

But if you get rejected by your first choice, why does that mean you won't go to uni until 2013? (the world could have ended by then :tongue: )

And thanks :smile: A bit more, but it's not really more. It's just balancing the usual amount out coz of Christmas and stuff.. if that makes sense? But I've come up with a simple plan which should help. Before, I was just planing to 'save up' but now I know how I will do it :smile:

I think a year out is on the cards anyhow. I can work as and when required with this new job anyways, and also have a bit of a break at the same time, which is good, so its not all bad.

Started my new job on Wednesday as well :smile:

Hows things with you?
Original post by LovePeaceAwesome
I received the PM and believe you now :smile:

My last post quoted me instead of you for some reason lol :s

I think a year out is on the cards anyhow. I can work as and when required with this new job anyways, and also have a bit of a break at the same time, which is good, so its not all bad.

Started my new job on Wednesday as well :smile:

Hows things with you?

Things are good with me yay! :biggrin:

How was the job?
Original post by alexsasg
I'm joining this as a means of motivation..I've spent way too much over the last few
months and I need money for uni next year. NO MORE CLOTHES/SHOES/BOOKS/spending money on stupid overpriced things like the cinema. I will persevere.

Speaking of the cinema, what are these £6.70 ticket prices about?!?!?!?! THIS IS EXTORTIONATE. I'm going to stay in and download films from now on.

The cinema isn't cheap these days. I'm no longer a student so it can cost me £8 upwards sometimes. Depends which chain of cinemas and the day of the week. Showcase Cinemas can be cheaper, whereas Cineworld does seem pretty expensive. Although the tickets are pricy, the food in Cinemas certainly is, which is why I've never really bought food/drink in a cinema. So if you're doing this, buying the ticket and buying cinema food/drink, perhaps cut back on the latter?!
Original post by white_haired_wizard
The cinema isn't cheap these days. I'm no longer a student so it can cost me £8 upwards sometimes. Depends which chain of cinemas and the day of the week. Showcase Cinemas can be cheaper, whereas Cineworld does seem pretty expensive. Although the tickets are pricy, the food in Cinemas certainly is, which is why I've never really bought food/drink in a cinema. So if you're doing this, buying the ticket and buying cinema food/drink, perhaps cut back on the latter?!

I never buy food or drink from the cinema, that's even more extortionate. Just gonna resort to watching dvds ;_;
You guys need to advice me on how I can muster some more money in my bank ... My bank balance has been pretty stagnant for a few weeks now, maybe an idea to set up a few direct debits from yourselves, £5 a month in donations will be ever so appreciated!
Original post by LovePeaceAwesome
Things are good with me yay! :biggrin:

How was the job?

Yea its really good thanks i really enjoyed the first day. Hopefully itll have a positive impact on my savings in the coming months.

Have you managed to get a job yet? I thought I remembered you saying that you were looking for one?
Save up for a house, that's what I would do.

Save for deposit on a house. Ususally a safe bet especially with house prices/rent rising like they are!
Original post by benterz222
Save for deposit on a house. Ususally a safe bet especially with house prices/rent rising like they are!

Yea thats what im doing at the moment, but i am being extraordinarily tempted by the prospect of a gap year in australia at the moment lol. Shame on me :tongue:
Yea thats what im doing at the moment, but i am being extraordinarily tempted by the prospect of a gap year in australia at the moment lol. Shame on me :tongue:

Fair enough. Don't blame you! :wink:
Original post by benterz222
Fair enough. Don't blame you! :wink:

Aye its tempting lol. How are your savings going my friend?
Just splurged out on a watch which I saw (and instantly loved!), so that's set me back a bit. Saving can be so damn tricky, I thought it would be easy as long as I don't physically go to any shops but damn it, ADVERTS ARE EVERYWHERE! Argh.

I've got quite a few friends' birthday's coming up soon, anyone got any cheapish gift ideas? They'll be for 18 year old girls (I'm not close friends with them so nothing really sentimental - thanks for any ideas :smile: )
Just splurged out on a watch which I saw (and instantly loved!), so that's set me back a bit. Saving can be so damn tricky, I thought it would be easy as long as I don't physically go to any shops but damn it, ADVERTS ARE EVERYWHERE! Argh.

I've got quite a few friends' birthday's coming up soon, anyone got any cheapish gift ideas? They'll be for 18 year old girls (I'm not close friends with them so nothing really sentimental - thanks for any ideas :smile: )

You lack discipline. How disappointing. lol only joking, how much you got left now then? My savings have taken a battering over the last few weeks, thank christ I got a job.

And if they're not close friends, I would just get them a card to be honest.
You lack discipline. How disappointing. lol only joking, how much you got left now then? My savings have taken a battering over the last few weeks, thank christ I got a job.

And if they're not close friends, I would just get them a card to be honest.

I really do :tongue: about a grand, although I should really have a lot more saved for uni next year! Haha, what did you spend your money on then?
I really do :tongue: about a grand, although I should really have a lot more saved for uni next year! Haha, what did you spend your money on then?

Haha no worries you're in a much better position than most others at the moment lol. My money has went on boring stuff auch as rent, shopping, bills, etc. Still hovering around the 1000 mark myself but, as you say, ideally it would be more. I really fancy a big adventurous holiday as well, such as Australia or New Zealand, maybe the US. I won't get the chance to do it again for a number of years, as in having a big proper gap year, so I think its definitely something for me to look into. Shame on me haha :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending