The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Daniel Freedman
Oh, and in the Accommodation Pictures the Gyp has a little portable gas hob... surely we're not allowed open flames like that and not an electric one? Unless rules have changed since the picture was taken...

And I can't imagine there'd be a pipe with gas coming out of it that I could plug it into either

The gas hob pictured will probably not work, no... I know that in Great Court, New Court, Nevile's and Bishop's Hostel such things (hobs, in general) are not technically allowed... so they probably won't be allowed in Whewell's either. The individual gyps I have seen had a kettle and microwave (and possibly a toaster). I remember reading years ago now that you were not really meant to bring any of your own cooking equipment (beyond a kettle obviously), but everyone just brings + hides their hotplates/grills/toastie makers/easy-bake ovens.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Hi, I'm an American student who applying for Computer Science and is very interested in Trinity College. I love everything about Trinity, but I'm just a little confused about this:

The school system in the United Kingdom allows a substantially higher degree of specialization than those of many other countries. If you have followed a curriculum which is much broader than A-levels you may be at a disadvantage, particularly if you wish to study Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or Natural Sciences.

I know that it's very difficult for internationals to get accepted to Cambridge, but is Trinity less receptive to international students than the other colleges? I'm doing the IB next year, btw.

Thanks! :smile:
The IB is not much broader than A Levels so it's fine.

Even if it was, I'd still say you'll never know until you apply, so apply.
Thanks, @i.am.lost!! I really like Trinity, so I was a little worried when I read that.

(Nice avatar, btw.)
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=91 :smile:

I really don't think they will discriminate against you on the basis of doing the IB. I'm only doing 3 A Levels (as far as i'm aware, most Cambridge applicants do 4; some even do 5), but i got an offer from Trinity the other day. I think the most important thing is to be really passionate about your subject - do plenty of wider reading outside of school, because that's what they ask you about when you go for the interview (seriously, they barely even mentioned the school curriculum i was following)

So yeah, don't be put off by doing the IB! Best of luck with your application!!
@incandescentsmile: I'm so relieved to hear that! *breathes out*

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 586
Original post by incandescentsmile
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=91 :smile:

I really don't think they will discriminate against you on the basis of doing the IB. I'm only doing 3 A Levels (as far as i'm aware, most Cambridge applicants do 4; some even do 5), but i got an offer from Trinity the other day. I think the most important thing is to be really passionate about your subject - do plenty of wider reading outside of school, because that's what they ask you about when you go for the interview (seriously, they barely even mentioned the school curriculum i was following)

So yeah, don't be put off by doing the IB! Best of luck with your application!!

I likewise have had an offer from Trinity, and I only did 3 A levels. I think it may in fact be the case that most Cambridge students do 3 A levels.

All in all, they really do base their decisions one by one, and take examinations as a guideline. If you impress, you'll get a place. Hopefully. (Every admissions system has to have its holes that let some good ones slip through, but of all of them, it's quite a good one)
I plan to take a gap after I graduate this year. Trinity is a school that I really want to apply to and I intend to take a tour this summer. Is there anything that I could be doing during my gap to improve my chances of acceptance? Thanks:biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 588
Original post by happyhiker
I plan to take a gap after I graduate this year. Trinity is a school that I really want to apply to and I intend to take a tour this summer. Is there anything that I could be doing during my gap to improve my chances of acceptance? Thanks:biggrin:

It depends what course you're applying for - if it's a language, go to the country where it's spoken, and try to get work there. If it's a vocational course, then try to get relevant work experience. Just as long as you don't travel for the heck of it, do some thorough reading into the subject and demonstrate your commitment, and you've as good a chance as any.
Hey,

I'm planning to apply for history, and I really like Trinity.
Is there anyone here studying history? What are the interviews like?
Are there many international/EU students? (I'm Hungarian) Because as far as I've noticed, some colleges like int/EU students more than others. :s-smilie:
Any special advices?
Original post by princess dora
Hey,

I'm planning to apply for history, and I really like Trinity.
Is there anyone here studying history? What are the interviews like?
Are there many international/EU students? (I'm Hungarian) Because as far as I've noticed, some colleges like int/EU students more than others. :s-smilie:
Any special advices?

I don't study history but I know plenty of people that do. While I cannot offer interview advice, I can tell you that Trinity is probably one of the most international colleges, taking people from all over the world and in probably a higher proportion than other colleges. If you really like Trinity you should apply for it, as it is a great college to be at.
Reply 591
omg I'm only 16 but I am set on going to Trinity College at Cambridge.

Dr. Bert Veaux of Kings College delivered a lecture at my school for KS5 students, I was awkward amongst the audiennce in my school uniform and he asked me why I was at a KS5 lecture lol. Then we spoke about how interested I am in languages and possibly linguistics.

I was opportuned to be invited to Kings College, and met with a couple students who gave me advise and helped me to realise that I would probably prefer to study MML then I met with some MML students at Trinity College. I was like yeahhh this is where I want to be, I love the grandeur and history of Trinity College in particular, and the layout of the grounds. The course seems like everything I'd love too. Can't wait to go to uni :smile:
Reply 592
Heyy~
I'm an student outside the UK(:
I'm really interested in applying to cambridge,:biggrin: but I was wondering: If I applied to different colleges, will my chances of getting a place vary, despite applying for the same course?

I was thinking that more people will apply for more popular colleges. So is it possible that with the same qualifications, I may get a place for the same course in a less popular college as compared to a more popular college?

2nd question: Since the number of undergraduate population for different colleges vary, does it mean that the quota for a certain course at the college vary too?
Say for example quota for law at a certain smaller college is x, whereas quota at tritinity college is 2x.:confused:
Reply 593
Original post by lee-ann
Heyy~
I'm an student outside the UK(:
I'm really interested in applying to cambridge,:biggrin: but I was wondering: If I applied to different colleges, will my chances of getting a place vary, despite applying for the same course?

I was thinking that more people will apply for more popular colleges. So is it possible that with the same qualifications, I may get a place for the same course in a less popular college as compared to a more popular college?

2nd question: Since the number of undergraduate population for different colleges vary, does it mean that the quota for a certain course at the college vary too?
Say for example quota for law at a certain smaller college is x, whereas quota at tritinity college is 2x.:confused:

For these cases, there is the so-called 'winter pool'. If you apply to a college, they interview you and think you're good but they don't have any places left, they'll put your file in a big folder. Other colleges then have a look at this folder and see whether the people in there might actually be better than those that have applied there directly. This system evens out the differences in popularity between the colleges.

It is of course not infallible, but even in the cases where it fails, you're unlikely to be able to predict whether applying to a seemingly less popular college would work in your favour or actually backfire.

You should therefore have a look at the colleges and then decide which one you like and apply there.
Reply 594
Anyone out there who's got an offer from Trinity and is starting in October?
Reply 595
Original post by keplercon
Anyone out there who's got an offer from Trinity and is starting in October?

I'm gunna be a second year - so welcome to the college. :smile:

Consider this a free bump, I know you're looking for freshers!
Does anyone here know how many students Trinity take from outside Cambridge to do part iii?

Cheers
Original post by CarneLevare
Does anyone here know how many students Trinity take from outside Cambridge to do part iii?

Cheers

Maths I'm assuming? I know a few people who were taken by Trinity this year from outside Cambridge. They had straight firsts to get in as far as I'm aware, as competition to get onto part III is quite high
How do people at Trinity find it there? I'm thinking of applying for NatSci, but cant decide between Trinity and Christs!
Reply 599
Original post by avbt93
So I picked a college rather at random, and have an offer from Trinity. I'm a left-wing lesbian from a sixth form college in Stoke-on-Trent getting full maintenance grant - some of the stuff I've heard about Trinity since suggests this means I might not fit in at all; other stuff I've heard suggests there's all sorts there and I'll be fine. Just wondering if anyone who's there can tell me if my fears are unfounded or not, or if there's anyone else with an offer from Trinity who's at all like me. Thanks!

Trinity is huge, so there probably will be all sorts there. It's not one of the colleges with the biggest left-wing/state-school reputation, but nor is it one of the ones with a Tory/public-school reputation.

If you're worried because someone said that the Trinity stereotype is "rich", don't worry- that refers to the college not the students!

There is no real stereotype of a Trinity student- apart from maybe being a mathematician. All sorts of people can fit in at almost any college- and if you don't, then it is perfectly possible to have a social life almost entirely in other colleges.

Latest

Trending

Trending