The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
I've a simply question/request:

Tell me why you are the best :wink: (mean college, of course - in case of any macho with huuuge ego :wink: )
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 121
It's the colleges who do the interviewing over here, champ.
Reply 122
Calling all Trinitarian economists:

I'm hoping to apply to Trinity for the dismal science next year, so I wondered if any of you who've been through the process could let me in on what the interviews were like? I admit this is a little sneaky of me, but.....

I know people who applied for economics at other colleges who were asked a fairly basic maths question in their interview as well as discussing an article etc. Is this the case with Trinity? What kind of article was it you were asked to discuss and what was the interview about 'general economic issues' like?

Any help much appreciated:smile:
Reply 123
Economics interviews will involve the discussion of an article that you collect one hour and 15 mins before your interview time.
Reply 124
OMG, JaF haven't seen you on TSR in AGES!
Reply 125
Sorry if this is a bit late, but I've just joined the site!

Name: Mark
Course: Medicine
Offer: AAA (Bio, Chem, Phys)
Year of Entry: 2007
Reply 126
goldenapples
Hi,
I have an offer too:eek: Still hasnt sunk in yet:redface:
Interviewed on 4th Dec for medicine

Congrats! I can't believe I didn't notice there was another Trinity medic offer person around!

And hello again, Mark!
Reply 127
Well,

I just got sent this Accomodation application form. By Cambridge application forms standards, it's very very simple, just three choices, High, Middle and Low. (rent that is) But unfortunately, those labels don't really mean so much to me. So I would like to ask current students, what kinds of roooms can I expect to get for the different options?
Reply 128
hey! another trinity '07 medic here. conditional A(chem)AA. good luck in the exams ppl.
Reply 129
ukgea - it's a bit of pot luck with the room form... most people I know ticked high, including myself, and I ended up with a (very nice) £750 a term room, with ensuite (and large compared to what I have seen in other universities) - I'm not sure that was even in the high band! Basically, all the rooms I have seen in Trinity are of a good standard - some are more spectacular than others, and some have better kitchen facilities (eg Wolfson and Blue Boar I). I have no idea what my friends are paying for their rooms with shared bathrooms... :redface: Basically I think in the higher band it's (possibly) the biggest rooms/sets (ie bedroom + living room). Sorry for not being particularly helpful but the room assignment system is probably something only understood by Mr. Trow of the accommodation office!

And hello rexcentum good luck with your exams and hope to see you in September/October. Ah, which one of you lot will be my academic contact I wonder... your year will have a slightly more difficult act to follow than mine did as it seems we have all managed to pass anatomy! :smile:
Reply 130
Hey rexcentum - you must get yourself onto facebook and into the Trinity College 2007 entry group - I've already met two other Trinity medic hopefuls on there!
Reply 131
Hey everyone, I'm hoping to apply to Trinity (depending on my AS results) for entry in 2008, I was just wondering though, because Trinity is the most applied to college, if I would put myself at a disadvantage by applying there and not somewhere else? thanks x
Reply 132
Briony123
Hey everyone, I'm hoping to apply to Trinity (depending on my AS results) for entry in 2008, I was just wondering though, because Trinity is the most applied to college, if I would put myself at a disadvantage by applying there and not somewhere else? thanks x

No! The university spends a lot of time, money and effort to ensure that the admissions system is as fair as possible. It's not a perfect system but as far as I'm concerned it's pretty good.

It really isn't advisable to try and play the numbers game especially as there is no way of knowing which colleges are going to be more popular in any given year. Also, some of the colleges with slightly less applicants tend to take more students from the pool. The pooling system is designed so that if you are good enough to get into Cambridge you should get an offer regardless of what college you applied to.

Trinity may have more applicants than smaller colleges but they also have more places available and as such the applications to places ratio is about 4 to 1.
Reply 133
Agree completely with JaF - don't try and play the numbers game, just apply to the college you like the most! Applicant numbers vary from year to year (and from subject to subject too), and Cambridge does try and ensure that people don't get rejected just because the college they applied to had lots of applicants. :smile:
Gahhh was wondering if anybody could help...

Might be in the wrong place, but Im applying to Cam (Law hopefully :biggrin:) and I really can't decide between Trinity or Caius.

Any opinions would be great.

I heard that Caius is full of IT girls (eek) yet Trinity is so big you can feel anonymous?

Cheers :smile:
Reply 135
Personally, I've not felt that Trinity is so big that I'm lost in it - the size of my year there is comparable to that of my year at school, so I didn't find it that daunting. I think it helps that there's a mid-sized number of people doing my subject as well (I'm a medic and there's 14 of us, I don't know how many there are for Law).

I haven't encountered anyone who has felt swamped by Trinity's size, though I guess there must be some people who feel this way - it's up to the individual I suppose. There are lots of stock phrases like 'you feel anonymous at Trinity' that people use to describe colleges - like most stereotypes, I imagine that many aren't quite accurate!

As for Caius - that's not one I have heard before! I decided against them on the basis of obligatory meal-ticket buying, but then I had to narrow my list down somehow.
Reply 136
Im thinking about applying here to study Mathamatics. How hard is it to get into this college and does it have a good reputation for maths??
it has a fantastic rep for maths. its considered one of the harder ones to get into for maths (cos of the rep) but lets be honest, you wouldnt be applying unless you think you're in with a shot and if you want to take on trinity, you might as well.
Reply 138
Hmmm, I received an accomodation form today. I'm staying in Angel Court :smile:. Any chance anyone could shed some light on what it's like there?

- Jeff
Reply 139
Me too, B something :smile:
From the inventory I assume that it's not en-suite but a fairly large room (desk, coffee table, dining table, bed, basin, wardrobe must take up a fair bit of space).

Latest

Trending

Trending