The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Darwin College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

For all present or future students of Darwin :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Darwin College is great. Everyone ends up trying to get into the bar at some point.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
I have applied to Cambridge and Have been recommended by the course director for admission . I wanted to know how is Darwin ? I hape applied for Darwin as my 2nd choice college after Wolfson . I have heard through blogs that their staff service and counselling is not good. Moreover, I have heard the room facilities and other college facilities arent that great in Darwin.Room is also more expensive than other colleges.Can you please suggest how exactly Darwin is?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kartikeyab111
I have applied to Cambridge and Have been recommended by the course director for admission . I wanted to know how is Darwin ? I hape applied for Darwin as my 2nd choice college after Wolfson . I have heard through blogs that their staff service and counselling is not good. Moreover, I have heard the room facilities and other college facilities arent that great in Darwin.Room is also more expensive than other colleges.Can you please suggest how exactly Darwin is?

Darwin is great. Staff service is fine. I don't know about counselling but my friend is the current Welfare Officer and I trust him implicitly. The rooms: it depends which room you are given, but all the ones I have seen are perfectly livable. In terms of price it seemed reasonable - I don't know how they compare to other colleges because I did not attend other colleges.

The likelihood is that you will be accepted at Wolfson, which to my mind was a slightly more boring and more inconveniently located version of Darwin: a strong international community, a smaller and "less prestigious" place that nonetheless had all the hallmarks of a fairly diverse and strong academic group.

If you end up at Darwin, I guarantee you will have a good time.
@ sevendaughters, thanks for your advice. Can I ask the graduate admissions board to make my choice to Darwin as 1st and Wolfson as 2nd ? (The University still has to give me the conditional offer of admission).
Reply 5
2 weeks ago when I spoke to someone to someone via phone at Darwin College (I don’t recall who exactly), they indicated that I was close to the top of the accommodation wait-list and it would be very likely that a room would open up for me when people realized that they would not be able to get appropriate funding, visa, or decided to attend another program instead.

However, I just received a letter indicating that Darwin will not be able to offer me accommodation for my 1 year graduate M.Phil, and they I should seek off-campus apartments/flats, but they would still keep me on the waitlist.

Is it still very likely a room will open at Darwin? Do many people withdraw from the college between now and the end of September? (I imagine it is quite possible since Cambridge does not require any sort of monetary commitment to secure your place at the university.) Does Cambridge (unofficially) give priority to Int’l students since it is difficult for them to visit/tour apartments off-campus in advance?

I appreciate anyone’s insight/advice on this.
Original post by nyc710

I would suggest covering all your bases to be safe and create an account on the accommodation service website.

When did you submit your accommodation form? I sent mine in early July and thus far, I've been told that I will be allocated a room (got an email on the 26th). Your post makes me feel uneasy though. The head of accommodations sounded rather confident when she talked about the availability of college housing.

Darwin is cutting it very close though, according to the email I received today, allocation of rooms won't even begin until next week - maybe even later.
Reply 7
Hi there!

I have be given a room in Newnham Grange. Anybody has any experience there? The house seems rather ancient (1793) and the rents are rather low(85-86). I am rather concerned about the condition...

Many thanks!:smile:
Reply 8
Anyone know anything about Wordsworth Grove? I am wondering the same thing as well in terms of the condition.

Are room switches very common?
Thanks!
Reply 9
Hey guys, I'm considering to apply for Engineering at this college.. Can anyone in this college advise me (those who've done Engineering/doing it) if anyone who's already been through this experience tell me a bit about how they remember the interviews, what the college was like for the subject, and the feeling in the college in general please?

Thanks, much appreciated :biggrin:
I have the same question that several have you already asked....I really would like to know about the condition of the accommodation and if there is a certain house that I should try to get into or avoid. I've heard some negative things within the very few bits of information that I've been able to gather off the internet. Also, no pictures of the inside of any of the rooms!
Hi everyone! I've been accepted to Darwin College, where I will move in in October. I have seen mentioned elsewhere that the gym at Darwin College is very small and limited. Would anyone please be able to tell me what exactly the gym equipment there consists of? As in, what kind of cardio machines do they have- a treadmill,stationary bike,etc.? Do they have weight training equipment like dumbbells and a bench?
Would really appreciate any details you could offer!
Thanks!!
Reply 12
Hi!
How is it in terms of LGBT acceptance?
Is there a designated 'queer college'? (you know what I mean)

Reply 13
Hi there,

I know this is an old thread but I was just wondering if any current/past members have any advice on accommodation in Darwin? Best/Worst? ANY advice would be great as it's impossible to find anything online:s-smilie: Thank You :smile:
Reply 14
Hello!
I will be at Darwin College next year, so I wondered if someone could tell me more about accomodation please? What are the main characteristics of the different buildings regarding everyday life, bedrooms' comfort,...? :smile:
Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending