The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Speech and Language Therapy 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alr22
Thanks :smile: im eager to hear about what happens next and they said about sending round peoples emails so that will be good! so much to organise! do you know if there is a facebook group at all? x x x

I'm not sure to be honest if there's a Facebook group, I think it's up to us to set it up :-s im a bit scared about tempting fate so won't go looking for it until my course is properly secured!! Everything should be fine but you know when you have those doubtful 'what if' moments! Yeah im excited to start meeting peole too, from on here it sounds like there are plenty of nice people on the course! Haven't heard from Paula so may drop her an email to see what's happening next xxxxx

Original post by dreamyfleur
So im up early this morning ready to do a 10 minute presentation at uni. And then i am finished!!! so excited!!! Im really looking forward to meeting everyone at Essex uni! I think a course night out im Essex will be essential at some point in the 'Freshers' week if everyone is up for it? xx

Definitely up for course night out!!! Especially as by the sounds of the course, it could well be our only chance :smile: !!! Xxxx
Reply 941
Just wondering if anyone has had any luck at all with student finance re. the reduced rate maintenance loan available (or not...) for 2012 entry MSc students? I had thought that the guidelines implied that we were eligible for this and have applied but have heard of peoples applications being declined because student finance 'don't fund masters degrees'. Has anyone applied and had a decision either way? I can't find anything on the web that specifically says that MSc students are/are not entitled to this and am getting really frustrated trying to plan finances without knowing if we get this money or not... Have phoned SF on multiple occasions and had different answers each time: typical student finance :confused:
Reply 942
Original post by rosie*1
Just wondering if anyone has had any luck at all with student finance re. the reduced rate maintenance loan available (or not...) for 2012 entry MSc students? I had thought that the guidelines implied that we were eligible for this and have applied but have heard of peoples applications being declined because student finance 'don't fund masters degrees'. Has anyone applied and had a decision either way? I can't find anything on the web that specifically says that MSc students are/are not entitled to this and am getting really frustrated trying to plan finances without knowing if we get this money or not... Have phoned SF on multiple occasions and had different answers each time: typical student finance :confused:

Hi rosie, it is true I'm afraid, student finance will not give you a loan for an MSc program if you took one out in the past for your undergraduate degree. I think the rule is that you can only have one student loan from them (I don't know if they would fund you if you didn't take one out for your undergraduate, you would have to ring them and ask if that's the case). Nobody on my course has a loan from student finance.

Most students on the speech & lang therapy MSc are funded by an NHS bursary if they're eligible (which pays up to around £390 per month means-tested) and/ or a Career Development Loan, which you can get from Barclays or the Co-Op. These aren't quite as good as student loans but still a much lower interest rate than regular loans.

http://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/servlet/Satellite/1193206376155,CFSweb/Page/Bank-Loans

http://www.barclays.co.uk/Loans/Moreloans/ProfessionalandCareerLoan/P1242557963934

I'm sure I also heard something about new students getting a £1000 grant from the NHS, but I haven't looked into that in detail as it came in after I started. If you're still struggling you should contact the uni to discuss it (talk to someone from your own department), they'll be able to advise you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 943
Original post by rosie*1

Hi Rosie, just to add a bit to the above reply, everyone does get a NHS £1000 non income assessed bursary, then the rest is either based on your parents income or your own if you've been working for three years. They also cover some travel expenses x
Reply 944
Original post by jennifex
Hi rosie, it is true I'm afraid, student finance will not give you a loan for an MSc program if you took one out in the past for your undergraduate degree. I think the rule is that you can only have one student loan from them (I don't know if they would fund you if you didn't take one out for your undergraduate, you would have to ring them and ask if that's the case). Nobody on my course has a loan from student finance.

Most students on the speech & lang therapy MSc are funded by an NHS bursary if they're eligible (which pays up to around £390 per month means-tested) and/ or a Career Development Loan, which you can get from Barclays or the Co-Op. These aren't quite as good as student loans but still a much lower interest rate than regular loans.

http://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/servlet/Satellite/1193206376155,CFSweb/Page/Bank-Loans

http://www.barclays.co.uk/Loans/Moreloans/ProfessionalandCareerLoan/P1242557963934

I'm sure I also heard something about new students getting a £1000 grant from the NHS, but I haven't looked into that in detail as it came in after I started. If you're still struggling you should contact the uni to discuss it (talk to someone from your own department), they'll be able to advise you.

Hi thanks Jennifex (and to Gemma! Not sure how to do this multiquote business). Yes, this is pretty much what I had come to fear- I knew about the NHS grant and bursary but thought that during the review of funding that has lead to the grant being introduced, the reduced rate maintenance loan had also been added. On the directgov website for example, from the postgraduate study page, when you click on the 'finance for NHS and social work courses' link it does mention the loan, but perhaps this is only for people taking a second undergrad degree (which seems pretty unfair as they will actually be studying for twice as long...). Think I was just being really optimistic and hoping that someone, somewhere starting the MSc this year had applied for student finance and been granted it.

Oh well, CDL it is then. Is no-one worried about what happens if you can't find a job after you graduate re. repaying this though?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/ChoicesAfterYouGraduate/DG_10012463
Reply 945
Original post by rosie*1
Hi thanks Jennifex (and to Gemma! Not sure how to do this multiquote business). Yes, this is pretty much what I had come to fear- I knew about the NHS grant and bursary but thought that during the review of funding that has lead to the grant being introduced, the reduced rate maintenance loan had also been added. On the directgov website for example, from the postgraduate study page, when you click on the 'finance for NHS and social work courses' link it does mention the loan, but perhaps this is only for people taking a second undergrad degree (which seems pretty unfair as they will actually be studying for twice as long...). Think I was just being really optimistic and hoping that someone, somewhere starting the MSc this year had applied for student finance and been granted it.

Oh well, CDL it is then. Is no-one worried about what happens if you can't find a job after you graduate re. repaying this though?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/ChoicesAfterYouGraduate/DG_10012463

Aah, I think the info on your link must be for undergraduate students as well (bad website design). If you are an undergrad student on a healthcare course, you can get NHS bursary AND Student Finance (although the amount of student finance they can get depends on whether they get a bursary.. it's complicated but I don't think any undergraduates even end up with the full maintenance loan + full bursary)

Anyway, if you are a masters student you are excluded from student finance and just get the grant and bursary.

As far as I know, people doing their second undergraduate degree aren't allowed Student Finance either.

Good luck with your studies, I hope you will still be able to fund it all!

(Also, don't worry too much about repaying the CDL... it might be difficult to get a job in Speech Therapy straught after you graduate, but there is no way you won't be able to find anything. A lot of SLT graduates who haven't found jobs straight away are doing something else, like SLT assistant/ TA in a special school/ support worker or whatever whilst they're looking, so you will still have an income as you won't struggle to get into those jobs)
(edited 11 years ago)
Ive just emailed Paula (Essex Uni) head of admissions woman, because I just wanted to make sure my letter got to her ok and see if there is anything i need to be doing in the meantime. I got an automated message through saying she wont be back in the office until weds 6th june! How does that work when the deadline is the 4th?? I need to be doing something because it doesn't quite feel real yet if that makes sense!! xxx
Reply 947
Original post by lollypop1389
Ive just emailed Paula (Essex Uni) head of admissions woman, because I just wanted to make sure my letter got to her ok and see if there is anything i need to be doing in the meantime. I got an automated message through saying she wont be back in the office until weds 6th june! How does that work when the deadline is the 4th?? I need to be doing something because it doesn't quite feel real yet if that makes sense!! xxx

I did exactly the same this morning. I called them after I got the response and they're currently checking for me, but it seems Paula is the one who is organizing it and no-one else is sure. Bad time for her to take a holiday xxx
Original post by Alr22
nope I went to uni in York, graduated in 2010 and moved home to Cardiff :smile: Where do you live at the moment? x x x

Oh nice, York is a lovely city :smile: Well I went to Bath Spa Uni, also graduated in 2010 and now I'm living back home in Taunton (in Somerset) xxx
Original post by Gemma25
Yeah I think a car is going to be pretty essential for placements so parking is a key factor. Yeah, the social side would be better in halls, but as there's only 30 on the course I'm hoping it'll be easy to get to know people anyway, and if people end up sharing houses it'll be even easier xxx

I agree! I think house sharing with others on the course would be really nice and also a really supportive atmosphere, coz by the sound of the course it's going to be rather intense! xxx
Reply 950
Original post by juliamcgowan26
Hi Winctr!

I know how you feel and I'll bet it's mainly becuase of the fees at QMU!

SLT definitely wasn't something I knew I wanted to do from a young age but I have realised over the years of experience that I've had that it is absolutely the perfect job for me and I'm so happy that I've realised that now!

The fees are so intimidating. I got married last year and I have a 9 year old daughter. I am 28 and my husband is 32 and we are desparate to start saving for a house. I know the next couple of years are going to be so hard financially. And also with time too. It's going to be so hard dealing with placements and stuff when I have to do the school run.

So yes - I am properly stressed out about it all. But I am also really looking forward to it. QMU is a gorgeous uni and I am sure the course will be amazing! Job prospects are not great, but to be honest, the prospects for any job are not great at the moment are they?

I just keep telling myself that the next two years will be very hard but that it will be worth it in the end. I cannot wait to be an SLT, so everything else can wait for another couple of years!!

I hope you feel better about it all soon!! x

I think this is a wall that quite a few mature students hit when thinking about studying anything, not just SLT. I guess there is no easy answer, you have to think about how much you really want to do SLT and whether it's worth putting other priorities on hold for the next 2 years. It seems like a long time but it will go fast, honestly I am nearly at the end of my first year and it feels like no time at all since I started!

I'm guessing the main thing you're grappling with is the tuition fees (it would have been the same for me - I would have gone to QMU and had some major financial problems had I not been offered a place at Essex). Have you considered deferring for a year and applying to NHS funded courses for next year? I know it basically adds a year to the time before you're qualified, which isn't ideal, but it seems like any way you look at it there will need to be compromise :frown: There are people in their 50's who have done my course so it's never too late!

Looking at the job situation, I'm (personally) not too worried, I know that it's not great and we might not get jobs as soon as we graduate... we might have to do something else for a while after graduating... but I think eventually you would get a job in SLT if you were flexible about the location and the setting you wanted to work in. Also you never know what the economy is gonna be like in a couple of years time. But yeah there is a risk there, but that aspect seems to be the same for most jobs at the minute :frown:

Hi Ladies

I haven't tried this multi quote reply thingie before so fingers crossed it'll work :smile:

Thank you SO MUCH for your thoughtful and helpful replies. The hubby and I have talked it to death this weekend, going over the pros and cons etc. I never thought it would unsettle me quite as much as it has so its taken me a little by surprise. I've always supported myself and to not do that and to sacrifice a potential income for the next two years and not have a strong chance of immediate employment on other side of it is a massive thing for me. I think he's also a little concerned about supporting us both for the next two years and I'm feeling bad because of that.

You both made very good points. No, no job is secure right now. It does come down to priorities and life is too short not to take some risks now and again. If only it wasn't a risk that costs £16k! Still, to live or commute to somewhere where fees would be covered by the government would quickly knock up that much debt anyway. This seems to be the right job for me and if (worst case scenario) it turns out I've made a horrendous mistake I can always cut my losses and leave the course early. I don't think delaying it is an option if we want to have children soon after.

It's very (somewhat selfishly, sorry!) comforting to know that I'm not the only person stressed out so thank you for sharing.

x
Original post by dreamyfleur
So im up early this morning ready to do a 10 minute presentation at uni. And then i am finished!!! so excited!!! Im really looking forward to meeting everyone at Essex uni! I think a course night out im Essex will be essential at some point in the 'Freshers' week if everyone is up for it? xx

I'm definitely up for a course night out!!! I think we will be working very hard on the MSc, so we definitely deserve to play hard too :smile: xxx
Original post by Gemma25
I did exactly the same this morning. I called them after I got the response and they're currently checking for me, but it seems Paula is the one who is organizing it and no-one else is sure. Bad time for her to take a holiday xxx

I know, I don't understand why she would be away when people are supposed to be sending things back to her by a certain date?! Crazy!! I just need something to keep myself busy, I dont feel like I have my place there yet for sure! :s-smilie: xxxx
Original post by Rachel_Joanna
Oh nice, York is a lovely city :smile: Well I went to Bath Spa Uni, also graduated in 2010 and now I'm living back home in Taunton (in Somerset) xxx

I agree! I think house sharing with others on the course would be really nice and also a really supportive atmosphere, coz by the sound of the course it's going to be rather intense! xxx

I graduated in 2010 too!!! After reading Dreamyfluer and Gemma25 saying about finishing Uni, I was starting to feel old lol!! I like the idea of house sharing with people from the course as well. Plus everyone on here already sounds really nice - we could have speechie house parties lol xxxx
Reply 954

Definitely, and because people may have done a range of undergrad degrees, we'll all have different bits we'll know well and can help everyone else. The only issue is finding the house not living in the area! xxx
Reply 955
I know, I don't understand why she would be away when people are supposed to be sending things back to her by a certain date?! Crazy!! I just need something to keep myself busy, I dont feel like I have my place there yet for sure! :s-smilie: xxxx

I know and the man that I spoke to said he's ring back and never did! I guess we'll just have to hope it got there! I know I was hoping to get some more info this week but that's unlikely to happen if she's away xxx
Reply 956
I graduated in 2010 too!!! After reading Dreamyfluer and Gemma25 saying about finishing Uni, I was starting to feel old lol!! I like the idea of house sharing with people from the course as well. Plus everyone on here already sounds really nice - we could have speechie house parties lol xxxx

Original post by Gemma25
Definitely, and because people may have done a range of undergrad degrees, we'll all have different bits we'll know well and can help everyone else. The only issue is finding the house not living in the area! xxx

Hey guys, house sharing is a great idea (though be aware that you will be spending A LOT of time with these people, as you see them all day at uni and then at home!!) If you contact HHS (Paula) they will try and put you in touch with other students from the department who want to house share (some people live with physios/ OTs/ nurses etc. not just speechies, it's nice to have that variety cos you do a lot of interprofessional learning as well) and you can arrange a date to come down, meet each other and look at places.

I would recommend Wivenhoe, it's a lovely little town and a short walk from the uni. Other than that there is Greenstead, which is a council estate but a lot of students live there, or you might find somewhere closer to town. Good luck :smile:
Reply 957
Original post by winctr

x

I am glad you decided to go for it :biggrin: SLT is definitely a very satisfying and rewarding job! :smile: Out of interest do you have much experience? I'm sure you will love it if you think you will, but some people do find that they get onto a course and then realise SLT isn't quite what they thought it was because they had never really seen it before?? Anyway feel free to inbox me if you need any info or advice about the course/ SLT/ anything! :smile: (I'm not at QMU but I think most of the MSc courses are quite similar really)
Reply 958
I am glad you decided to go for it :biggrin: SLT is definitely a very satisfying and rewarding job! :smile: Out of interest do you have much experience? I'm sure you will love it if you think you will, but some people do find that they get onto a course and then realise SLT isn't quite what they thought it was because they had never really seen it before?? Anyway feel free to inbox me if you need any info or advice about the course/ SLT/ anything! :smile: (I'm not at QMU but I think most of the MSc courses are quite similar really)

Thanks Jennifex. Nope, not much experience, I've been working in the corporate world up until now. I've been very lucky to have shadowed a private SLT'er a few times and have volunteered in reading programmes, a special needs school in Newcastle, and helped a family with two autistic boys on days out. I had problems when I was a child, my brother stutters and my niece has some related issues. Do you think that's enough to get a realistic taste of it all? Would love to take you up on your offer to PM you. I'm fortunate in that my husband works in the NHS so I've spoken to some current or recent students and that's helped me appreciate that it's going to be a challenging couple of study years.
Original post by winctr
Hi Ladies

I haven't tried this multi quote reply thingie before so fingers crossed it'll work :smile:

Thank you SO MUCH for your thoughtful and helpful replies. The hubby and I have talked it to death this weekend, going over the pros and cons etc. I never thought it would unsettle me quite as much as it has so its taken me a little by surprise. I've always supported myself and to not do that and to sacrifice a potential income for the next two years and not have a strong chance of immediate employment on other side of it is a massive thing for me. I think he's also a little concerned about supporting us both for the next two years and I'm feeling bad because of that.

You both made very good points. No, no job is secure right now. It does come down to priorities and life is too short not to take some risks now and again. If only it wasn't a risk that costs £16k! Still, to live or commute to somewhere where fees would be covered by the government would quickly knock up that much debt anyway. This seems to be the right job for me and if (worst case scenario) it turns out I've made a horrendous mistake I can always cut my losses and leave the course early. I don't think delaying it is an option if we want to have children soon after.

It's very (somewhat selfishly, sorry!) comforting to know that I'm not the only person stressed out so thank you for sharing.

x

Hi, so glad you decided to go ahead! I'll see you there!! I'm sure you have plenty of experience given that you were chosen out of 200 odd applicants. Someone obviously felt you had what it takes!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest