The Student Room Group

Is Computer Science for me?

Hey guys, well for A levels im taking physics, chemistry, maths and deign technology...
now for maths my school doesn't offer Decision and i've chosen to do Mechanics...
Am i missing out on a lot by not doing decision ? as i do want to pursue computer science
for my 2nd year would statistics be better?
considering the subjects I've chosen and units im doing...
am i worthy enough and be able to cope with computer science?
And im not too good with using computer software :frown: and have never taken ICT.
But the way computers work fascinate me.

Thanks in advance.
Maths in CS is mainly discrete, so it doesn't really matter which you choose. The maths used in CS (discrete) is not covered anywhere in A level maths. A level maths is merely a skill to show you have the ability to perform well at the mathematical side of CS.
Decision would be the better module to do if you can but if you cant theres no need to worry; I chose to do mechanics and its fine. So long as you can learn new stuff (you shouldnt be at university if you cant!) then youll be fine, whether youve covered it in decision or not it doesnt matter as everyone will be taught from the ground up - decision isnt a requirement.
Reply 3
If you're doing well in your courses, there's no reason that you wouldn't be able to cope with computer science :biggrin:

You're not losing out on anything at all by not studying decision (tbh, I wrote a bit about it in my personal statement, and that is the only use that it was to me :tongue:). Obviously, courses differ, but this year I'm doing linear algebra (vectors and matrices) and calculus, so really, it's the pure maths that has been helpful anyway. I don't think that specific modules really matter, if anything, you could be at a disadvantage by doing decision (I was told at Cambridge by the engineering professor that they don't like people applying with decision maths- it's not particularly mathematical, and they prefer stats/mechanics)

You'll definitly want to do maths next year, btw.

You don't need to be good at software/IT. I mean, you need to be able to switch on a computer and click on an icon, but even if you couldn't, you'd learn quickly. (My uni's 'Introduction to the computer system" set of handouts is from the early 90s and it starts with "This is a computer" :biggrin: )

The most important thing is an interest in how computers work. This year (I'm in first year) I've learned a programming language (not completly, but to a fair degree of proficiency) and the other half of the CS lectures are about computation and logic, which is fascinating. I'm getting to do data and analysis next semester :biggrin:

Bascially, computer science is amazing, and it's not just about sitting in a dark room writing code (a sadly common misconception :tongue:)
Reply 4
Thank you very much for the advice guys :biggrin:
Really helpful indeed.
Reply 5
Original post by ZZ9
If you're doing well in your courses, there's no reason that you wouldn't be able to cope with computer science :biggrin:

You're not losing out on anything at all by not studying decision (tbh, I wrote a bit about it in my personal statement, and that is the only use that it was to me :tongue:). Obviously, courses differ, but this year I'm doing linear algebra (vectors and matrices) and calculus, so really, it's the pure maths that has been helpful anyway. I don't think that specific modules really matter, if anything, you could be at a disadvantage by doing decision (I was told at Cambridge by the engineering professor that they don't like people applying with decision maths- it's not particularly mathematical, and they prefer stats/mechanics)

You'll definitly want to do maths next year, btw.

You don't need to be good at software/IT. I mean, you need to be able to switch on a computer and click on an icon, but even if you couldn't, you'd learn quickly. (My uni's 'Introduction to the computer system" set of handouts is from the early 90s and it starts with "This is a computer" :biggrin: )

The most important thing is an interest in how computers work. This year (I'm in first year) I've learned a programming language (not completly, but to a fair degree of proficiency) and the other half of the CS lectures are about computation and logic, which is fascinating. I'm getting to do data and analysis next semester :biggrin:

Bascially, computer science is amazing, and it's not just about sitting in a dark room writing code (a sadly common misconception :tongue:)

Is there much practical work in computer science? Would you ever have to physically make or design something?
Reply 6
Original post by Malawi
Is there much practical work in computer science? Would you ever have to physically make or design something?

It varies with courses/ universities

I assume you are interested more in the theoretical aspects of Computer Science ? :smile:

Because I am in the same boat as you...

Your first year would most likely be mostly theoretical stuff, and only a small amount of practical work.
Then in your second year & especially third year you start to apply those and develop your own programs :smile:

And by physically do you mean actually building physical computers ?
In that case I would recommend you look at Computer engineering :smile: which covers more hardware aspects, a fair amount of electronics.
You would still also cover aspects of programming ofcourse :smile:

So Computer Science is more Software based and Computer Engineering is more Hardware based.
Again it will vary by university.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by AmrinderRai
It varies with courses/ universities

I assume you are interested more in the theoretical aspects of Computer Science ? :smile:

Because I am in the same boat as you...

Your first year would most likely be mostly theoretical stuff, and only a small amount of practical work.
Then in your second year & especially third year you start to apply those and develop your own programs :smile:

And by physically do you mean actually building physical computers ?
In that case I would recommend you look at Computer engineering :smile: which covers more hardware aspects, a fair amount of electronics.
You would still also cover aspects of programming ofcourse :smile:

So Computer Science is more Software based and Computer Engineering is more Hardware based.
Again it will vary by university.

Hope that helps :smile:

Thanks,

yes, by physically I mean building computers, robots and other electronic devices because I was looking at Imperial and Birmingham and their students were playing with robots and other kinds of gadgets but I'm only interested in the theoretical side of Computer Science.
Reply 8
Original post by ifstatement
Maths in CS is mainly discrete, so it doesn't really matter which you choose. The maths used in CS (discrete) is not covered anywhere in A level maths. A level maths is merely a skill to show you have the ability to perform well at the mathematical side of CS.

there's discrete maths modules for edexcel maths at least
Reply 9
Original post by Malawi
Thanks,

yes, by physically I mean building computers, robots and other electronic devices because I was looking at Imperial and Birmingham and their students were playing with robots and other kinds of gadgets but I'm only interested in the theoretical side of Computer Science.

Hmmm thats a tough one... its odd to have a purely theoretical course because the whole point is to get cool stuff done practically.
Also if you would like to get into employment in a computer science job - it will most likely be practical and a purely theoretical course would not have you ready for that.

If you are really firm that you like theory better, what about theoretical physics ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending