The Student Room Group

I want to learn a foreign language!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Yumnaarrhhh
Naam eh man Yumna ast :biggrin: :woo: Im learning :tongue:

Pretty good, well done :smile:
Currently learning French as much as possible :awesome:

Other languages which I really want to dip into soon or have already started a bit with: Spanish, Russian, German

Other languages that I'd like to take a go at in the future: Latin, Basque, Arabic (MSA, I really only like it for the endless grammar haha), although really, most languages appeal to me :sexface:
Learn Russian.

Спасибо.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 183
Original post by vwsl93
I want to learn Farsi so badly!

I can only say:
Salaam.
Sobh be-xeir.
Esm-e man Vincent ast.
Man diruz beh bazaar raftam.
Xubi?
Mersi, xubam

I don't even know if those are correct. :s-smilie:

They are all correct, well done :smile:
Reply 184
Mee too
Reply 185
Original post by vwsl93
I love learning languages! Right now I'm trying to learn a number of them.

Are you currently learning a language?

Share your experience! :biggrin:

Anyone???

I'm effectively fluent in three languages, English, Italian, and Bengali... Grew up in Italy, in a Bengali family, and went to English/American schools so yeah :P They helped.

I was teaching myself Japanese some time ago (out of love towards the otaku world), but I quit since O levels! Hopefully I'll pick it up again after A levels.
I can read/write it..but my speaking is terrible :redface:

can u laugh at this ? :biggrin:

Reply 187
Haha back to the old classic days

I know Urdu, Hindi, Punjabi, English, French and a bit of Spanish.

I can do them all with an accent especially when I'm having conversations on the phone to some random guy :P
Top tip:

Have you ever wanted to speak a foreign language fluently?

I did, so I went to Germany and spoke English!
I am learning Finnish. It's a very steep learning curve!
Original post by zedeneye1
can u laugh at this ? :biggrin:

loool i understand it..but not sure where the humour comes in :redface:

I dont get it lol, why would you need to keep medicine away from the kids to enjoy the weather? it was meant to be sarcastic wasn't it? Aahh I dont know :sad:
Original post by AllesWirdGut
Oh wow :biggrin: Native Dutch - jealous xD I am learning Italian, yes, but I've still only got basic knowledge. My Swedish is better than my Italian Oo and that's saying something. Out of curiosity, what is Holland like? I've applied for Dutch at Sheffield and have wanted to go there :/ :smile:

Haha, oh well I'm pretty jealous of everyone else on here too with the amazing lang's they know! :smile:
Hmm, Holland is beautiful. Lots of scenery, sea..and I remember the weather always being brilliant there, and obviously amazing people. Wish I could tell you more but I only lived there as a kid :frown:
Ooo, thats great! Good luck with that, hope you get in! :biggrin:
Original post by vwsl93
How many languages do you speak?

English fluently, Arabic to second year university standard I'd say, which I think is a good effort considering I'm in my penultimate year of high school and French to IB level.
I would love to be fluent Spanish and Italian.. I already have basic knowledge of Spanish but I don't know where to start!
Original post by chocolate buttons
I would love to be fluent Spanish and Italian.. I already have basic knowledge of Spanish but I don't know where to start!

Go here :smile:

Spanish: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=210047

Italian: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=169693
If anyone is interested in learning Portuguese, we have a Learners Society :yep:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1818375

And the same for Spanish, no matter what level you are :biggrin:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1876693
(edited 12 years ago)
loool i understand it..but not sure where the humour comes in :redface:

I dont get it lol, why would you need to keep medicine away from the kids to enjoy the weather? it was meant to be sarcastic wasn't it? Aahh I dont know :sad:

thats how its funny, the two are unrelated...see the end of this ad..

Is there a learners society for French? Not very exotic but it's bloody useful for me. Trying to pick up the basics on way own ATM!
English, German, Spanish, Arabic, Bengali, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean, Bahasa Indonesia, Malay.

I do want to learn French, Afrikaans, and maybe something like Thai, just for the sake of it.

I can travel virtually anywhere in the world with the languages I speak. It makes travel so easy.
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
English, German, Spanish, Arabic, Bengali, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean, Bahasa Indonesia, Malay.

I do want to learn French, Afrikaans, and maybe something like Thai, just for the sake of it.

I can travel virtually anywhere in the world with the languages I speak. It makes travel so easy.

I would love to be able to speak that many languages :love:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending