The Student Room Group

A Level Choices: Biology, Psychology, Maths and English Lit/Music?

Hello :smile:

I'm currently picking my A Levels, with the possible intention of going to University to study Psychology...

My current A Level choices (subject to change :') include Biology, Psychology, Maths and Either English Lit or Music as my fourth (which I will probably drop).

I feel the first 3 A Levels are fine for Psychology (and me personally), its just a matter of the fourth subject :confused: - I know Music isn't exactly relevant, but I do prefer it to English and feel I would get a better grade in it (I'm currently on target for an A/A* at GCSE)... The only problem is that English would probably be prefered by Universities...

Any help would be appreciated :biggrin:
Reply 1
Music and English literature are both traditional subjects and preferred by top universities. If you feel more confident in music, then take it~ it's better than failing english lit. if you're not confident in it!
Music is a 'one of a few' a level that shows you're both analytical and practical. It's not an easy subject to study either.
However, if you're not convinced about that, taking english lit. shows you have great essay writing skills if you get a good grade.

Overall, i'd recommend you to ring university admission offices to check.

I'm going to take Music A level for A2 and i'm planning to study law with A2 Human Biology, History and AS english lit.!
Reply 2
Original post by mintbear
Music and English literature are both traditional subjects and preferred by top universities. If you feel more confident in music, then take it~ it's better than failing english lit. if you're not confident in it!
Music is a 'one of a few' a level that shows you're both analytical and practical. It's not an easy subject to study either.
However, if you're not convinced about that, taking english lit. shows you have great essay writing skills if you get a good grade.

Overall, i'd recommend you to ring university admission offices to check.

I'm going to take Music A level for A2 and i'm planning to study law with A2 Human Biology, History and AS english lit.!

Thank you for the advice, after talking to some of my teachers, friends etc I have decided to take music as my fourth option :smile: good luck with your choices! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by bingbob
Hello :smile:

I'm currently picking my A Levels, with the possible intention of going to University to study Psychology...

My current A Level choices (subject to change :') include Biology, Psychology, Maths and Either English Lit or Music as my fourth (which I will probably drop).

I feel the first 3 A Levels are fine for Psychology (and me personally), its just a matter of the fourth subject :confused: - I know Music isn't exactly relevant, but I do prefer it to English and feel I would get a better grade in it (I'm currently on target for an A/A* at GCSE)... The only problem is that English would probably be prefered by Universities...

Any help would be appreciated :biggrin:

If you intend to study psychology you've definately got it right with biology and maths. I'd recommend statistics as BPS psychology degrees have heavy amounts of statistics due to scientific investigations etc. I do history A level and according to psychology or general uni students i know, most of the work they do is independent and essays require a lot of reading/referencing and my history coursework is very similar. I'm pretty sure English Lit would be just as good though. All your choices are traditional subjects so in terms of unis you'll be fine provided you get the grades.

Best of luck :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by JBullyWBA
If you intend to study psychology you've definately got it right with biology and maths. I'd recommend statistics as BPS psychology degrees have heavy amounts of statistics due to scientific investigations etc. I do history A level and according to psychology or general uni students i know, most of the work they do is independent and essays require a lot of reading/referencing and my history coursework is very similar. I'm pretty sure English Lit would be just as good though. All your choices are traditional subjects so in terms of unis you'll be fine provided you get the grades.

Best of luck :smile:

Thank you :smile: Good luck with your A Levels too!

Quick Reply

Latest