The Student Room Group
do you mean which prepositions take dative/accusative etc?

if yes, then i do it like this:

"mit - nach - von - zu - seit - aus - bei - gegenüber" those take the dative.

my friend has a better one actually. i think it's something like:

"mit - nach - gegenüber - von - aus - bei - seit - zu - That's the dative case for you"

cheesy, i know!
Reply 2
Hehe very cheesy, but thanks!

So I understand when to use the dative, but what about accusative?!

I get confused sometimes between the indirect object in a sentence (and so using the dative) and the object (and therefore using accusative)... any tips?
Reply 3
accusative after durch fur gegen ohne um wider
genitive after trotz wahrend wegen
Reply 4
it's indirect object and therefore dative when something is being done to someone... like "i gave him the book".

It's the direct object and therefore accusative when you can ask the question "what?" e.g. "i gave him the book" --> "what did you give him?" = the book = accusative.

if you get me...
Reply 5
mellow-yellow
Hehe very cheesy, but thanks!

So I understand when to use the dative, but what about accusative?!

I get confused sometimes between the indirect object in a sentence (and so using the dative) and the object (and therefore using accusative)... any tips?

The indirect object is the object it's done for or to, simply speaking. So, 'Ich gab es dir' - 'I gave it to you', 'Ich gab dich ihm' - 'I gave you to it/him'.
some verbs just ALWAYS tend to take the dative.

i think some of them are: geben, fragen, sagen (to say TO somebody)...can't think of anymore.

it's the same in french "je LUI ai démandé" (i asked him/her. "lui" = dative (to him)) rather than "je l'ai démandé"
Reply 7
fragen doesn't take dative...
Fleece
fragen doesn't take dative...

oh ok. does it not?

i thought you would say "ich fragte ihm.." - is that wrong?

edit - yes you're absolutely right! it's "ich fragte ihn.." i think i must have thought that because of the french? never mind. thanks for that!
Reply 9
linguist786
oh ok. does it not?

i thought you would say "ich fragte ihm.." - is that wrong?

edit - yes you're absolutely right! it's "ich fragte ihn.." i think i must have thought that because of the french? never mind. thanks for that!

Hehe. I think danken, glauben, passen take dative.. can't think of any more for the minute.

Thanks for the explanations of indirect/direct object everyone :biggrin:
Reply 10
Helfen, gefallen, antworten and folgen are a few more which take the dative as well.
For learning which form of "the" goes with the noun I have a fairly simple way of remembering it...

You just keep saying to yourself:
der-die-das-die
den-die-das-die
des-der-des-der
dem-der-dem-den

The first row refers to the nominative case, the second is accusative, the third genitive and the fourth dative. Each column goes masculine, feminine, neuter, plural. If you say it to yourself enough times you'll get really quick at saying it and therefore never forget how it goes. Hope that helps!
those which take the accusative follow the accronym FUDGE BOW
Für, Unter, Durch, Gegen, Entlang, Bis, Ohne, Wider
splodgethefirst
those which take the accusative follow the accronym FUDGE BOW
Für, Unter, Durch, Gegen, Entlang, Bis, Ohne, Wider

Or DOGE WUF (doggy woof) as my crazy german teacher says hehe!
Yeah we got told it as 'DOG WUF' and to memorize the others lol
Do 'trotz' and 'wegen' count as prepositions or conjunctions? Becuase they take the genetive.
Reply 16
BovineBeast
Do 'trotz' and 'wegen' count as prepositions or conjunctions? Becuase they take the genetive.

they are prepositions
lol me and my friend in german sit there and chant
acc: bis durch entlang fur gegen ohne um..
dat : aus auBer bei gegenuber mit nach seit - von zu dank
genetive - dieseits jenseits statt trotz wegen wahrend

and der die das die
den die das die
des der des der
dem der dem den :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending