The Student Room Group

Imperial College Msc Finance 2012-2013

Scroll to see replies

Does it cost to apply for MSc programmes in the UK?

Someone told me a few years ago, it was free apart from the LSE which charged something in the region of £50 per application.

They also insisted students paid up front for their graduation gown and tickets BEFORE releasing their results (bad deal for those who failed)!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 181
Original post by curiousquest
Does it cost to apply for MSc programmes in the UK?

Someone told me a few years ago, it was free apart from the LSE which charged something in the region of £50 per application.

Most universities charge a fees (Imperial, LSE, Oxford and Cambridge certainly do).

They also insisted students paid up front for their graduation gown and tickets BEFORE releasing their results (bad deal for those who failed)!

Yeah, I think this is also common across most universities. Not many people fail in general so it's not a huge deal.
I just knew that I am on the waiting list now.

Can anyone tell me what the probability that I would receive a firm offer?
Reply 183
Original post by lovelysammi1989
I just knew that I am on the waiting list now.

Can anyone tell me what the probability that I would receive a firm offer?

I am on the waiting list as well. What background are u from?
Reply 184
I have just received an offer for MSc Finance.
Reply 185
Original post by drugs

when didi you apply please?
Reply 186
did**
Reply 187
Original post by sonia91
when didi you apply please?

I applied in late January. If you applied before March 5th like i did, you will hear back by April 2nd. Good luck
Reply 188
ok thanks!
Original post by Jimmy1
I am on the waiting list as well. What background are u from?

I study in city university london
Original post by drugs
I applied in late January. If you applied before March 5th like i did, you will hear back by April 2nd. Good luck

Have you been on the waiting list?
Did you receive the offer recently?
Original post by drugs

Congrats:wink:

envy you
Reply 192
Original post by lovelysammi1989
Have you been on the waiting list?
Did you receive the offer recently?

No waiting list. Received an offer today, straight up.
Reply 193
Can anyone provide information about how 'quantitative' this course is?
How does it compare with LSE or Warwick in terms of mathematical rigour?
Reply 194
Imperial MSc Finance > LSE/Warwick MSc Finance. Just read up on the different modules offered by each one.
Reply 195
Original post by SonnyZH
Imperial MSc Finance > LSE/Warwick MSc Finance. Just read up on the different modules offered by each one.

Thanks, yea i was definitely aware of this. Judging by the website, LSEs equivalent appears more generalist and theoretical. Imperials a great deal more focused and technical. But Im slightly concerned that I may find it too technical versus LSE or Warwick and would struggle. My background is in economics not maths engineering or statistics so im worried that I may find it hard to cope with level of maths they expect. For example i've never touched stochastic calculus, advanced partial differential equations or any advanced matrix algebra. And from what im gathering on various fora, the majority of admits come from engineering and maths.

Should I be worried? Is there anyone who has completed this course, is on this course, knows someone doing it, who can give me some advice? Really appreciate your input.
Reply 196
Original post by drugs
Thanks, yea i was definitely aware of this. Judging by the website, LSEs equivalent appears more generalist and theoretical. Imperials a great deal more focused and technical. But Im slightly concerned that I may find it too technical versus LSE or Warwick and would struggle. My background is in economics not maths engineering or statistics so im worried that I may find it hard to cope with level of maths they expect. For example i've never touched stochastic calculus, advanced partial differential equations or any advanced matrix algebra. And from what im gathering on various fora, the majority of admits come from engineering and maths.

Should I be worried? Is there anyone who has completed this course, is on this course, knows someone doing it, who can give me some advice? Really appreciate your input.

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/business-school/programmes/msc-finance/whoshouldapply

Check out the pie chart at the bottom.

I can't speak for myself as I'm currently an undergraduate but I do know one person on the LSE course and another on the Imperial one and both of them are mechanical engineers. I'm sure you'll get more answers here but if I were you, I'd call Imperial up and ask.
Reply 197
Original post by SonnyZH
http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/business-school/programmes/msc-finance/whoshouldapply

Check out the pie chart at the bottom.

I can't speak for myself as I'm currently an undergraduate but I do know one person on the LSE course and another on the Imperial one and both of them are mechanical engineers. I'm sure you'll get more answers here but if I were you, I'd call Imperial up and ask.

cheers. yea, seen the class stats before. guess ill standby for more responses if not ill call em up like you suggested.
Imperial MSc in Finance: Check out the two books by ex-lecturers, cuthbertson and nitzsche:

1. Investments
2. Quantitative Financial Economics

Incidentally, for those considering the Imperial MSc in Finance, have you considered the CQF, Certificate In Quantitative Finance?
Reply 199
Original post by dugdugdug
Imperial MSc in Finance: Check out the two books by ex-lecturers, cuthbertson and nitzsche:

1. Investments
2. Quantitative Financial Economics

Incidentally, for those considering the Imperial MSc in Finance, have you considered the CQF, Certificate In Quantitative Finance?

Would the CQF not resemble more the Financial Engineering MSc?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending