The Student Room Group

IB or A-Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by NS7
Does anybody take that conversion seriously?

It doesn't matter if you don't take it seriously, the facts are still there. If anything, the problem is that no one does take it seriously ; mainly, I'd say, due to the utter lack of exposure and knowledge of the course past the last 1/2 generations. In any case, I was using the example loosely to show the ambiguity between what people think of IB and what the IB is actually worth. No offence to any A levelers but comparitively AAA is simply not even marginal to getting 38 at IB. The UCAS is irrelevant, the point still stands.

Original post by orionmoo
I work in Uni Student Recruitment and I'm sorry but I have to disagree. We LOVE IB because it does attract so many points, however, whilst your example of the 38 points = 567 UCAS points is strictly correct, we do not see it that way and have what seems like higher offers as such. UCAS have got the tariff wrong as far as we're concerned. It's like BTECs. A Subject maybe AAB yet the offer would be DDD which is the same as AAA in UCAS points.

A reverse example to your IB points statement is that on the UCAS tariff 29 IB points is the same as AAA at A Level, and I'm sorry but it really isn't in real life, especially considering the pass mark is 24!

We find that IB students are better able to cope with the demands of university, but the UCAS points are very inflated, as such we offer what we think is a good equivalent ourselves, disregarding the UCAS tariff (as our offers are not based on UCAS points)

What uni, if I may ask? Well, you may love IB but speaking from my own, and pretty much every other person I've known to do IB, experience; it is highly undervalued. People often hark on about how unis don't like it, but as I said it isn't that they don't like it, more that they don't appreciate it for all it is. I mean, I frequently hear of A level offers getting lowered (for no reason half the time), you'll never hear of IB offers being lowered though.

You're quite correct that to get 29 points is pretty feeble compared to getting AAA but even then we have to factor in everything respective of the two courses. In A levels you would still be modular and you would still be doing less subjects. Whilst it isn't to say 29 is equal to AAA, I would still argue getting a 29 would entail just as much if not overall more work than getting AAA. The thing that makes the IB so difficult is not necessarily the difficulty of work, rather, the volume and intensity of the course.

Well the whole "IB students are more able to cope/ better prepared for uni" mantra is largely a short term thing. As a poster above said, anyone can settle into uni and even people who got AAA compared to someone who got 38 could easily settle in and perform just as well.

I wouldn't say the points are inflated at all. You're pretty much doing over double the amount of subjects at the same (and sometimes higher) difficulty with a much larger extra curricular work load (with CAS). Hence I would say they are very much worth the points for the higher boundaries. For the lower grades, perhaps I would agree but again, the scope of the IB still makes it a much more rigorous course to do and achieve in even at a low grade compared to a high grade at A level.

As I said originally, if you want to get to uni without too much of a fuss and are dedicated to a few subjects without much interest in others - do A levels. If you enjoy learning and expanding your horizon past what you actually require to get to further education, then do IB; you'll love it. It wasn't lollipops and rainbows for me by any means but I certainly did enjoy the challenge and the breadth of study however, I am also under no illusions as to the IB relative to A levels.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by GentlemanOfTheRoad
IB Spanish would prepare you much better at HL than A2 would. A 7 at Higher is generally a fluency indicator whereas an A* at A2 isn't. IB is honestly not that bad. You may need Standard Maths is you want to do BSc Geography but BA Geography maths studies would be sufficient and I'd advise against ESS. Apparently it's tedious and a bit of a joke

I do A2 French and I am significantly better than all of my friends who do IB French. I'm predicted an A, they're predicted 6/7s. Just saying.

I think A Level tends to go into much more depth into the subject than IB, whereas IB covers a lot of subjects, or so I have gathered from personal experience, and for many uni courses people don't go into the subject they're applying for enough - or this is what I've gathered from personal experience.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by hideousnight
I do A2 French and I am significantly better than all of my friends who do IB French. I'm predicted an A, they're predicted 6/7s. Just saying.

I think A Level tends to go into much more depth into the subject than IB, whereas IB covers a lot of subjects, or so I have gathered from personal experience, and for many uni courses people don't go into the subject they're applying for enough - or this is what I've gathered from personal experience.

HL, SL or Ab initio ?

Not in languages, a 7 at HL french is regarded in much higher esteem than A* in A2
Reply 24

May I ask what level (AbInitio, B, or A) of French they are doing? Only because I did MYP (Its like GCSE but for the IB) French B and I went to France for a month, and half the time people thought I was from Paris even thpough I am Portuguese.
Reply 25
Original post by orionmoo
I work in Uni Student Recruitment and I'm sorry but I have to disagree. We LOVE IB because it does attract so many points, however, whilst your example of the 38 points = 567 UCAS points is strictly correct, we do not see it that way and have what seems like higher offers as such. UCAS have got the tariff wrong as far as we're concerned. It's like BTECs. A Subject maybe AAB yet the offer would be DDD which is the same as AAA in UCAS points.

A reverse example to your IB points statement is that on the UCAS tariff 29 IB points is the same as AAA at A Level, and I'm sorry but it really isn't in real life, especially considering the pass mark is 24!

We find that IB students are better able to cope with the demands of university, but the UCAS points are very inflated, as such we offer what we think is a good equivalent ourselves, disregarding the UCAS tariff (as our offers are not based on UCAS points)

You're right, 29 points is actually very easy, and I can say that because I do IB and I got 32 points at the end of year 1 exams without studying at all, and without bonus points (And I'm not super smart or anything). I think AAA is the equivalent of 36 points, and at the same time it's difficult to compare the two. :smile:

The UCAS tariff is a bit strange, but thankfully most universities have the right idea . I just feel sad, though, when a university wants ABB from A- levels and 36 points from IB, or AAA and 40. That's just a ridiculously unfair difference... For people like me, who're good with one or two subjects, A-levels is better, because eventually at university you're not going to be forced to do Maths or a foreign language (like you do in IB!)
Reply 26
Original post by Feragon
May I ask what level (AbInitio, B, or A) of French they are doing? Only because I did MYP (Its like GCSE but for the IB) French B and I went to France for a month, and half the time people thought I was from Paris even thpough I am Portuguese.

They were the same level as I when they started IB , we both did GCSE French and they do HL

Not in languages, a 7 at HL french is regarded in much higher esteem than A* in A2

It may get more esteem but I am better which I doubt is anything to do with natural talent.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 27
They were the same level as I when they started IB , we both did GCSE French and they do HL

Sounds very strange, I am now completing my Diploma and I take Spanish Ab Initio, and the level of the class is quite advanced, so it sounds strange that their level is lower than yours. Perhaps the teachers are not that great. My experience is of great quality language courses.

It may get more esteem but I am better which I doubt is anything to do with natural talent.

I think if they're achieving 7s and you're only getting As, they're better than you.
Reply 29

A Level subjects are more in depth than IB SL (Standard Level) subjects, yes, but I think an IB HL would go into just as much depth as an A-level. There are subjects like Math HL, which are actually more in depth than A-level Math, and English HL, which is the same as A-level English literature.

An IB SL, from what I've heard, is something like 2/3 of an A level. However, we only take 3 of these- the other 3 are HLs. Plus we do TOK (essay and presentation) and Extended Essay (4300 words research paper in any subject) and CAS (150 hours of creativity, service and action).

I think it doesn't matter so much when you get to uni; everyone from most boards copes up just fine, and if anything, IB people are better prepared because we're so used to living with constant deadlines. :tongue: All said and done, though, I wish I'd taken A-Levels. Quitting Maths and French would be a dream...:frown:
Reply 30
I think if they're achieving 7s and you're only getting As, they're better than you.

Well, they're not. Hence the point of my post.
Reply 31
[QUOTE="Feragon;35318700"]

Sounds very strange, I am now completing my Diploma and I take Spanish Ab Initio, and the level of the class is quite advanced, so it sounds strange that their level is lower than yours. Perhaps the teachers are not that great. My experience is of great quality language courses.

Well, they're at a private school where they're taught by the heads of departments and I'm at a state college so if it's the fault of the teachers they're wasting a lot of money :smile:

I'm not saying that this is the case for everyone, this is just my personal experience of it and all of my friends who take it really would not recommend it.
Reply 32
Does anyone do or know anything about the 'Literature and Performance' course, because my computer won't let me see the content of it, and is it about drama/English Lit.? -.- Also, will I be at a disadvantage if I will only be the fourth year through IB at my school? Sorry, keep thinking about questions that I can't find the answers to :tongue:
Reply 33
Could anyone answer the questions above please? Can't find the answers anywhere!! :smile:
Reply 34
As a Norwegian applying to a British university, I would've loved to be able to do IB; unfortunately, I wasn't and my qualifications caused much confusion among my choices, but luckily it turned out all right anyway.

Honestly, I do not understand why you would do the IB, because the A levels are a more well understood set of qualifications than the IB; thus more fair conditions would be made with the A levels. If you intend to study abroad, the IB would probably be the better choice.
Reply 35
Original post by stifa
As a Norwegian applying to a British university, I would've loved to be able to do IB; unfortunately, I wasn't and my qualifications caused much confusion among my choices, but luckily it turned out all right anyway.

Honestly, I do not understand why you would do the IB, because the A levels are a more well understood set of qualifications than the IB; thus more fair conditions would be made with the A levels. If you intend to study abroad, the IB would probably be the better choice.

Incorrect, universities in the UK now generally understand the IB. In fact on my course I was told that they expect me to finish in the top few in my year because of having done IB-IB is an advantage for UK universities.
Reply 36
Original post by Hypocrism
Incorrect, universities in the UK now generally understand the IB. In fact on my course I was told that they expect me to finish in the top few in my year because of having done IB-IB is an advantage for UK universities.

But in terms of entry requirements, IB requirements differ very much from those of A levels.
Reply 37
Original post by stifa
But in terms of entry requirements, IB requirements differ very much from those of A levels.

I don't think that's true.
Reply 38
Original post by Hypocrism
I don't think that's true.

Just checked for four of my choices; all have an ABB requirement for A-levels:

Manchester: 35 points overall including 6 in Mathematics and 5 in two further subjects with a scientific bias at higher level.
Bath: 34 points overall, with Mathematics and Physics at Higher Level 6
Birmingham: 32–34 points, including both Mathematics and at least one physical science at HL
Sheffield: 33 points

It is not nearly as bad as how they handle my qualifications, but still not completely paralell to the A level requirements. Manchester had milder entry requirements for me, but Birmingham and Sheffield are much stricter.
Reply 39
Original post by stifa
Just checked for four of my choices; all have an ABB requirement for A-levels:

Manchester: 35 points overall including 6 in Mathematics and 5 in two further subjects with a scientific bias at higher level.
Bath: 34 points overall, with Mathematics and Physics at Higher Level 6
Birmingham: 32–34 points, including both Mathematics and at least one physical science at HL
Sheffield: 33 points

It is not nearly as bad as how they handle my qualifications, but still not completely paralell to the A level requirements. Manchester had milder entry requirements for me, but Birmingham and Sheffield are much stricter.

To be honest, 32-35 points is about equivalent to ABB, especially since you don't need anything higher than a 6 for the point total.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending