The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by de_monies
Yup, I know that but many people can't get credit card's with limits more than £150

Indeed that annoys me. Tbf, the only times I mention wealth, or predicted future wealth is when some chav brings up how "posh" I am (I'm not)

Exactly. My savings literally started with 50p's since I was around 6/7

Thanks for agreeing with me! :biggrin::beer:
That's really good with the 50ps. I should have done that :P
Original post by tehFrance
When I first came here I got a credit limit of £750... this is without a credit history so how people don't get a limit with more than £150 is either a false statistic or this countries financial system hates locals :tongue:

My limit is £3000, without a credit history and this is my first credit card. Lots of people are being offered around the £150-£450 mark
Original post by Lauren Pen
Thanks for agreeing with me! :biggrin::beer:
That's really good with the 50ps. I should have done that :P

Well, when I was a kid, it wasn't so much that I wanted to save when I was older. It was literally money to put towards buying a PC. Around 8 years later, it paid off. I had a PC and some money left over.

Then there was the fact I had pocket money, but if I touched a lot of it, I'd get in lots of trouble. It was a weird way that my Mum made me save, and it kinda made me not touch it at all for the most part, so I've just accumulated the money from since a kid (and eBay)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by de_monies
Well, when I was a kid, it wasn't so much that I wanted to save when I was older. It was literally money to put towards buying a PC. Around 8 years later, it paid off. I had a PC and some money left over.

Then there was the fact I had pocket money, but if I touched a lot of it, I'd get in lots of trouble. It was a weird way that my Mum made me save, and it kinda made me not touch it at all for the most part, so I've just accumulated the money from since a kid (and eBay)

That's really good :biggrin: That's a long time to save for a PC though! Good determination.
I have a credit card from a specific airline, and I get one 'mile' for every euro I spend. These miles can then be redeemed for flights. I pay everything by credit card now, and I literally get free flights for spending money on daily things like groceries. Over time, I have accumulated enough miles to get a free flight within Europe. I'm saving them up though, so I can get a free round trip to Australia or California in 2013 or 2014.
Original post by Vindobona
I have a credit card from a specific airline, and I get one 'mile' for every euro I spend.

Miles & More Lufthansa credit card? I have one of those now too, got to admit in comparison to British repayment options it is a fantastic deal :biggrin:
Original post by tehFrance
Miles & More Lufthansa credit card? I have one of those now too, got to admit in comparison to British repayment options it is a fantastic deal :biggrin:

It's AirBerlin, but yeah it works the same way as the Miles & More one :smile:
Reply 587
I have a couple of hundred on my card, and the rest is tied up in ISAs and savings accounts.
I have about £200 in my current account, and just over a thousand in savings.
Original post by Pareidolia

How old are you?
Original post by Pareidolia

How old are you?
i have 1 penny, not even joking :frown:

i have a grand in savings but not to be touched until i go to uni
I haaaave.... something like £25? I think (hope). Not enough haha. I get £1100 (plus interest which has been building since 2008 so not a lot :redface: ) when I turn eighteen. Going to take out half of it for anything I might need for uni, and SAVE the other half!
Reply 593
As curious as I am about finances, a Google search found me here. I just signed up and wanted to contribute to this thread because, well, it's cool. You can't really ask this question to strangers in real life. :P

I'm 21 years old right now, and have just shy of $5,000 so far (CAD). It's okay, but I want to save more. $10,000 is my goal. I'm just a part-time security guard, but I can save a lot because I live with two roommates and live very simply. Only have rent and food to pay.

Does anyone else find that the more you get, the less you feel you have? It's very strange. When I first saw $1,000 in my bank I literally got up and danced for a few minutes. Now getting another $1,000 feels good but it's almost not even a big deal.

Sorry, I don't want to alienate or make anyone feel bad, just wondering if others feel that way too & if it's normal.
£69.69 :cool:
I'm 17 and have just over £7000 savings, plus another 'savings' account of which money I've inherited is in, which adds up to roughly £5000..
Bro wat u got is just pennies to me innit, basically yer ya shud go round dealin a bit of dis nd dat, ya get me yer...I'm too sik let's jst say I'm in 6 figures fam
Reply 597
Original post by united2000
Just might add that your uni 'debt' is the easier loan you will ever get in your life. You have to be earning enough to pay it back and the interest rates are very good.
I would suggest saving the £20k and investing it on something else, say a buy to let property, that money would be making more than the interest on your student loan.

But if you do hate debt, then fair enough, but remember there is always good debt and bad debt.

Video below explains it by Martin Lewis who runs Money Saving Expert. Might be a interesting watch.
Good Debt, Bad Debt

There is always risk with debt, so in my view it's all bad. Just because some people get lucky with it, doesn't mean the risk is not there. He has an extremely healthy attitude towards it that I wish more people shared.
Original post by UnknownXV
There is always risk with debt, so in my view it's all bad. Just because some people get lucky with it, doesn't mean the risk is not there. He has an extremely healthy attitude towards it that I wish more people shared.

In what way is there a risk with a student loan?? If you start to earn money, you pay it back, little by little in easily affordable chunks, if you don't have the money to pay it back, you don't have to. Its basically a loan which it is optional to repay. You could go to uni at the expense of the taxpayer with a tuition fee and maintenance loan and then never pay for it, get a job earning 20k a year and after 30 years it is written off. Where is there any risk with that???
You are probably OK but if you depend on funding from your parents or someone else, remember that people die. I was at university with my parents' money and when they died there was little support.

Latest

Trending

Trending